good 5.1 speakers for 20K~

mohan_r

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
For the past 4days hifivision helped me a lot in deciding my first AV receiver, thanks a lot for all you guys.

I finally decided to buy Onkyo TX-SR606, my brother is going to bring it from US in the first week of May.

Now i need suggestion for my 5.1 speaker set for around 20K in Hyderabad. (i want to go for normal speakers and no floor stand speakers)
My preferences are 80% movies and 20% songs.
Any thoughts on Polk RM705??

Also, please help me in finding a good stabilizer and a step down transformer for TX-SR606 in Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance,
Mohan.

Hi Mohan,

I don't think you will be able to good 5.1 speakers for 20K which will do justice to your receiver 606. I would advise you can build the speaker setup gradually.

If you increase your budget by 15K, then you can get
Energy take classic 5.1 and Jamo A102HCS5.

For little more than 20K you can get Yamaha NS 8390[FS] + Yamaha NSP 60 also. This package is without subwoofer.

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi Prakash,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I do believe that 5.1 speakers for 20K will not do justice to 606 receiver. But as i stay in an apartment with room of around 12x11, i don't want to go for high end speakers (budget is also a constraint :( ).

Did any one used Polk RM705, any reviews on them? I guess they are 25K, any other 5.1 speakers around 25K as i don't want to go for more than 25K.

Also please suggest a place in Hyderabad from where i can get a good stabilizer and a step down transformer.
Thanks,
Mohan.

Hi All,
For the past 4days hifivision helped me a lot in deciding my first AV receiver, thanks a lot for all you guys.

I finally decided to buy Onkyo TX-SR606, my brother is going to bring it from US in the first week of May.

Now i need suggestion for my 5.1 speaker set for around 20K in Hyderabad. (i want to go for normal speakers and no floor stand speakers)

Also, please help me in finding a good stabilizer and a step down transformer for TX-SR606 in Hyderabad.

Thanks in advance,
Mohan.

i guess there is a switch to change the voltage ratings for the onkyo at the back. Onkyo is a great VFM receiver for movies (nothing beats it in that price range and a lil beyond).

Please increase your budget to get better 5.1 system like the the energy take classic 5.1 or rather go for the Yamaha NS 8390[FS] + Yamaha NSP 60 like someone suggested.

Add a good sub later.

i guess there is a switch to change the voltage ratings for the onkyo at the back.

The US models may not have this switch (my Onkyo TX-SR504 doesn't have one and the manual says that only Eu/Asian models have it).

Mohan - recently there is a thread on voltage converters and your best bet will be to get a 2-in-1 (Stabiliser + Converter) from Maxine. Please search the forums or google, they have a dealer in Koti...

On the other hand, I got one made to order from a shop near BHEL. PM me if you need details.

Kumar.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
Mohan.

While I can't comment on the Polks etc. I would suggest you consider Onkyo HTP-240 (5.1) or SKS-HT240 (6.1). The 6.1 is the same as 5.1, except that it contains 1 more satellite. I bought them (6.1) for $300 2yr+ ago and spent $150 to lug them from US to Hyd along with a friend who was flying to Hyd direct. Check out the reviews at Amazon.com for sure and google further if you are interested.

I have installed only 3.1 out of the 6.1 so far and may not be able to give a complete feedback, but am happy so far with the quality of sound, the looks etc. Am trying hard to install the 3 satellites also in a week or two. BTW, I am no audiophile or an expert. :)

While I can't comment on the Polks etc. I would suggest you consider Onkyo HTP-240 (5.1) or SKS-HT240 (6.1). The 6.1 is the same as 5.1, except that it contains 1 more satellite. I bought them (6.1) for $300 2yr+ ago and spent $150 to lug them from US to Hyd along with a friend who was flying to Hyd direct. Check out the reviews at Amazon.com for sure and google further if you are interested.

I have installed only 3.1 out of the 6.1 so far and may not be able to give a complete feedback, but am happy so far with the quality of sound, the looks etc. Am trying hard to install the 3 satellites also in a week or two. BTW, I am no audiophile or an expert. :)

actually i bought the HTS 230 (5.1 system) for 16k here in Pune (part of the deal with an Onkyo 606). I tested the onkyo with the energy take classis 5.1 with some bluerays like quantum of solace, italian job and seemed to like the onkyo system more. Somehow the sub in the onkyo hts230 seemed pretty amazing and VFM - very tight.

BTW the only problem is that the hts 230/240 comes in silver in India - looks awkward - black onkyo, silver speakers, biege HT rack biege m35 floorstanders for me.

BTW the only problem is that the hts 230/240 comes in silver in India - looks awkward - black onkyo, silver speakers, biege HT rack biege m35 floorstanders for me.

The 240s come in silver all over the world, not only in India :) Looking thru my eyes, they have a black grill cover, hence a good match with anything black along with the contrasting Aluminium/Silver frames.

Mohan - I would suggest that you consider SKS-HT240 or HTP-240 (and not SKS-HT230 or HTP-230) as the 240s have a better/bigger set of fronts+center when compared to the 230s.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
Mohan.

Hi Mohan

I would suggest to go with 2 bookshelves and even an 8 inch powered subwoofer for now and then build your system up slowly. There are many threads around that talk to which bookshelves are good. So search the forum to get a feel.

Future upgrades would be a center speaker and additional bookshelves or floor standers. You can then move the current fronts to surrounds to make up a 5.1 system.

A 5.1 system at 20K is asking for a lot of compromise.

One option is to ask your brother to get the Energy Take 5 also. At 400 dollars, this will work out to about 20K roughly.

Cheers

Mohan,

I have been doing some auditioning of speakers in hyderabad. I found the following which might match you price range:
Energy Take classic (5.1) @ Reliance Digital, Banjara hills for about 29K.
Jamo S406 (5.0) @ Reliance Digital for about 15 K
a couple of Yamaha and some australian brand for <20K at Croma, Punjagutta (see my post, speaker auditioning hyderabad for details).

These are all MRP and I am sure you can bargain a bit.

however as the experts rightly said, the quality of most of these except probably the Energy take are not very good

Just because the room size is small, please dont go for inferior speakers with such a good AVR. As you have already been suggested, first buy front speakers, then side ones and then subwoofer as and when you got money(specialy if you are going to have floorstanders as front -you will have enough bass with Dynamic EQ on and by setting your receiver-'without the subs' mode) BUT never compromise on the quality of speakers.

If room is small, keep volume low but better speakers always mean quality sound.

Mohan,

I have been doing some auditioning of speakers in hyderabad. I found the following which might match you price range:
Energy Take classic (5.1) @ Reliance Digital, Banjara hills for about 29K.
Jamo S406 (5.0) @ Reliance Digital for about 15 K
a couple of Yamaha and some australian brand for <20K at Croma, Punjagutta (see my post, speaker auditioning hyderabad for details).

These are all MRP and I am sure you can bargain a bit.

however as the experts rightly said, the quality of most of these except probably the Energy take are not very good

thank you all for your nice suggestions and replies.

Deride - Sure i will check them in their stores.

Thanks,
Mohan.

Mohan: All the replies are in track for you. Most of us think since our room is small there is no point in High end speakers bcos I wont use high volume. Its so very false. High end speakers rather quality speakers are not produced for more sound rather, they are produced for Quality in sound. They enable you to listen and enjoy sound as it is intended to be.

Don't hurry and buy a low end speaker. Look for quality and look for speakers that fit your listening taste and base requirement. Audition them and decide whats best. If you can get your budget streched, invest in bookshelfs and a sub if you need and slowly build the rest.

Take your time and make a decision based on what u like.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back