Good AV Magazine for Subscription

sgmane

Hi Folks,

Which is (are) the good AV magazine to subscribe?
Unbiased reviews, good technical articles and VFM and any other information that shall supplement the value of the magazine. I see some magazines have more of advertisements than good articles.
Magazines that can be subscribed in india (including out-of-india magazines)?

Or is it really worth to subscribe? (An alternate is ofcourse the "web").

Thanks

Last edited:
I read both whatshifi & avMax, out of them hifi uses better scales but revs are small.Whereas avMax gives detailed rev but they sometime compromise on proper setup.
I can say that because if you read Aug issue(?) which has stereo setup rev,you will find there is poor source(DVDp) used for rev.
Even amp & spk are not matched for rev.I remember stereo amp with 15w was paired with spk of minimum 60w & amp was said to be poor.:eek:hyeah:

hey sg. the magazines are mostly rubbish. A lot of stuff is as good as 'paid for.' In India the two options What Hi Fi and AV Max vie with each other to reach thebottom.

AV Max is a far more hard working magazine, but their breathtaking lack of english skills really let them down. Each article is a pain to read. You would think that they'd be able to hire a competent sub-editor.

What Hi Fi benefits from good, readable content from their parent, which is reproduced verbatim without any thought process. Their Indian reviews are almost as bad as the AV Max ones, and again.....a good copy editor could really help them as well.

Hey Sg

I think the best place for this kind of thing is this site itself. None of the mags are any good. I read AVMAX for around 3-4 years what hifi around 2 - 3 issues what i found that most of it was trash.

There prices are far above street prices :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: Also what hi- fi was mentally still in UK ! A lot of their tested products had freeview tuners, sky hd tuners, scart sockets, digital radio etc!!

Well i have been reading both,Hi-fi overall is better than Av max, but the prices have gone up for both, there was a time when they used to cost Rs 50 each.

Well i have been reading both,Hi-fi overall is better than Av max, but the prices have gone up for both, there was a time when they used to cost Rs 50 each.

Max-50, hifi-60, now both 75,anual sub Max-450 & hifi -720.

Sometims I buy imported mags from street bookshops in Churchgate and sometimes in Wadala. IMHO foreign mags are far better!

Hey Sg

I think the best place for this kind of thing is this site itself. None of the mags are any good. I read AVMAX for around 3-4 years what hifi around 2 - 3 issues what i found that most of it was trash.

Totally agree with you. Online audiophile forums are the best places to gather some knowledge and get some neutral reviews.
I have subscribed to AV Max for about 3 years now, mostly their reviews are very biased or they present just the old articles again and again. I just refer to the price of the products from there.

I buy these two mags mainly for the ads ;) seriously...that is the only value add they provide. Both these mags cover only mass market prods (for obvious reasons...paid write-ups)...av max at least covers brands like norge from time to time...what hi fi just reprints what its parent mag says...even the prices are direct conversion of the UK price and are way off the street price in India...

There is a shop in the basement at the beginning of church street (brigade road end) that deals with only magazines...you can get old editions of steriophile, UK av max, hifi-news, hifi choice, TAS etc. you might be better off getting them even though they might be a year or so old...

my first impression when I saw this thread..both Hifi and Max are rubbish..

After reading thru different post my +1 to all the posts..bottom line they are not useful..

BTW, I have got lot of old HiFis and few Max, if anyone is interested pls feel free to PM me. You may have to come and pick them from my home :)

cheers>>>
vadiraj

Ever since I purchased my first copy of AV-Max,I frequented Magazine shops in remote places I stayed(worked).I believe they are the only options then. Slowly gathered knowledge and today I subscribe Digital Edition of Stereophile and Home Theater from Zinio Reader.

You get your copy before they hit the store. No storage required like hard copy. All you need is network and PC.

Enjoy...:licklips:

Ever since I purchased my first copy of AV-Max,I frequented Magazine shops in remote places I stayed(worked).I believe they are the only options then. Slowly gathered knowledge and today I subscribe Digital Edition of Stereophile and Home Theater from Zinio Reader.

You get your copy before they hit the store. No storage required like hard copy. All you need is network and PC.

Enjoy...:licklips:

what is zinio reader?
is it free?

Quote: Even i am looking for the same. BTW do you have the Dali Ikon 6 review edion of AV MAX?

Sorry. I dont Have. I saw a shop near LIC having all Magazines new and Old. I ll let u know the details when I visit again.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back