Good bye for now...

murali

Fellow music (and movie?) lovers,
It is time for me to bid good-bye for now as I am leaving the country for work. Hope to be back and catch up soon.
Meanwhile, as I had posted earlier, I am really going to miss the Audio Research preamp I wrote about. It will continue to stay in my system here so that my family enjoys it. Honestly, it is true to every word of the reviews written about it, most notably by Shane Buettner.
Alas, noone seems to appreciate the performance and value of the VTL 5.5 I was using previously and that leaves me with no choice but to carry it with me and hopefully part it with someone who appreciates it.

Happy listening and thanks to all.
murali

Hi Murali,

Goodluck on your abroad assignment, hopefully you will also get confused soon while returning to our home country what to bring:lol:

Regards

The Internet is global, and irrespective of where you are you can continue to participate in HFV. After all wherever you work, I am sure you will have an Internet connection.

Cheers

Yes,If you have some time .pls. try to spare with us.
All D Best...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
The Internet is global, and irrespective of where you are you can continue to participate in HFV. After all wherever you work, I am sure you will have an Internet connection.

Cheers

Unless hez going to antartica on research? :D

Best of luck murali sir, and hope to see you soon.

Thanks,

Hi Murali,

Goodluck on your abroad assignment, hopefully you will also get confused soon while returning to our home country what to bring:lol:

Regards

Thanks, everyone.
Luckily, I believe I am beyond that stage of "getting confused" what to bring home. It all started as a nice hobby a few years back when I had some money to splurge around and the more I read and listened, the more I began to understand and therefore, could narrow down my options to what exactly I wanted. Right or wrong, I first settled on the speakers which I believed (and still do) should be time and phase accurate so that they produce the best possible soundstage and imaging. Subwoofers came next (sealed enclosure), to take care of bass which I believed (and still do) are the way to go instead of spending time and efforts in moving around the mains (my mains stand about 6 ft in front of the wall) to settle for the impossible task of getting both mid-range and bass correct. Next came electronics which I believed (and still do) should employ absolutely no negative global feedback (probably a bias as an engineer who gives maximum importance to science and technology). Then came all the accessories like cables, racks and stands etc which I believed (and still do) should "just disappear" rather than coloring the signals.
The most elementary lesson I learned was that it was the signal originating from the source that decided the final outcome of the speakers. All that the downstream (pardon me for the word, I am an oil industry professional) amps and cables do were to add or subtract or do nothing from this signal and reproduce a signal as close to the original as possible. In fact I have been surprised to hear from a few experts that the audio chain is continuous and when I try to explain to them that no, the amplifier produces another signal from the incoming signal using the power supply, I sometimes get criticised. It took me some time to understand the importance of massive capacitors and power transformers, negative feedback, band widths etc.
When I bought the Audio Research preamp, I was initially skeptical about its design for a frequency extension upto 200 kHz (10 times beyond our 20 kHz maximum hearing level), but having heard it, I now suddenly notice how such frequency extensions add the real body and weight behind the music. In one of the Chesky demonstration discs, they mention about hearing the singer and presence on front and sides and that is exactly what I mean. Then suddenly I understand the quality requirement of decent interconnects and speaker cables which should maintain that sort of frequency range.
I can go on and on but don't want to make you bored.
It is a wonderful world of music where we indulge in, much better than drugs and other such options. And it is universal too.

Happy listening.
murali

Good to know that U r so much passion about writing/expressing your feeling on Music, which shows how u r involved or evolved in it. Good to know u r into Oil professional and i am also into,,, Just PM your details about where u r into abroad and ur exact position.

Regards

Fellow music (and movie?) lovers,
It is time for me to bid good-bye for now as I am leaving the country for work. Hope to be back and catch up soon.
Meanwhile, as I had posted earlier, I am really going to miss the Audio Research preamp I wrote about. It will continue to stay in my system here so that my family enjoys it. Honestly, it is true to every word of the reviews written about it, most notably by Shane Buettner.
Alas, noone seems to appreciate the performance and value of the VTL 5.5 I was using previously and that leaves me with no choice but to carry it with me and hopefully part it with someone who appreciates it.

Happy listening and thanks to all.
murali

hi murali,

yes, it seems amazing that not one body on our forum wanted those (desirable) VTL 5.5's - perhaps not enough time for members to dwell on the qualities of said item and pay you enough monies to part with it!

and your education has been remarkable - and an education for all of us! - a milestone, where the interested can pause, learn, and move on to their destination.

of course, in the subjective arena, there will be vociferous proponents and there will be equally vociferous opponents! - that is the romance of this field!

bon voyage, safe industry, and happy listening! (when you visit next)

Hi Murali,

Brother we are of the same boat - from Refining Industry. You are moving abroad. Bon voyage. Your conviction and self belief is praise worthy. Wherever you are going, the internet and HFV should be available. Then why are you bidding good bye?

Hi,

Wish all the best to Mr. Murali.

Even I will be off this forum for some time after the audiophile meet on Dec 6th, as my exams are nearing. Hoping to catch up with you all in the next year 2010!

Cheers!

All the best 'N' Good Luck on your assignment buddy ... Whenever you find time, keep posting about interesting things on A/V that you come across :)

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Goodbye and all the very best for your assignment:). Time will fly and you'll be back soon to spend time with your dear ones and your stereo rig.

Not fully sure, but I feel Murali may be saying goodbye to his Hi-fi equipment and expressing it here because where-else but here can we relate to one's love for music and equipment.

It is a wonderful world of music where we indulge in, much better than drugs and other such options. And it is universal too.

Happy listening.
murali
Very true Murali. Music gives us an unparallelled high.

Few days ago, Ramesh (a HFV-ian) dropped into my place for a listening session. We listened for almost 6 hours in a stretch. We enjoyed listening to tracks from various languages and genres. Sometimes we did not fully follow the lyrics(language reasons) but still we enjoyed the details in the music. We felt no sense of time, felt no hunger and were in our own different worlds. At one point Ramesh said "Music is the only way you can communicate with God". I feel an unexplainable joy and relaxation when I listen to music but for me it is nowhere close to communication with God. For different people it is different, but one thing is true, it is universal like Murali said.

hi murali,

yes, it seems amazing that not one body on our forum wanted those (desirable) VTL 5.5's - perhaps not enough time for members to dwell on the qualities of said item and pay you enough monies to part with it!

and your education has been remarkable - and an education for all of us! - a milestone, where the interested can pause, learn, and move on to their destination.

of course, in the subjective arena, there will be vociferous proponents and there will be equally vociferous opponents! - that is the romance of this field!

bon voyage, safe industry, and happy listening! (when you visit next)

Suri,
As I am leaving only tomorrow, please call me if you are in Cochin today (0484 2337630) and wish to take a look at my system.
Indeed, the VTL remains here one more day (before I take it with me) and I am equally surprised that noone is able to appreciate how great a preamp it is and a few who approached me (gray market dealers) tried to take me for a ride as far as its value is concerned. I sincerely hope I will find one in another part of the world who looks for better music.

cheers.
murali

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back