Good multimedia speaker recommendation needed

Winter

First of all, let me tell you my budget.It's only +/- 15k.Will stretch it further if something is to die for but would prefer burning a smaller hole in my wallet.My motherboard has onboard Realtek ALC889A audio and is easily comparable to Creative's X-Fis.The room where my PC sits is rather small so do you recommend 5.1 or 7.1 over 2.0 or 2.1 as far as my taste is concerned ? I listen to metal and ambient music so good bass is a necessity.Media is either original or lossless.Apart from that it's hi-end games and movie/concert DVDs.So far I've only bumped across Logitech G-51 & Z-5500 or Klipsh Promedia 2.0/.1s as far 'good ones' are concerned.Creative Gigiworks & Megaworks are not so easily available in Mumbai but I'll definitely try to get hold of those if they're worth.I'm not inclined towards fancy looks or unnecessary features, just a rich, balanced and full round sound.I've seen you people recommending Audioengine A5 and some other comparable bookshelf 2.0 speakers over traditional multimedia speakers.They don't suit my budget but are they perfectly suitable for my taste ?

Agree with cranky here. I have listened to Creative, Logitech, Bose and Klipsch. Audioengine A5 beats all of them hands-down.

I think MX 5021 is pretty gud. Its not to the audiophile stds but still you can get a decent sound out of it.

You can alternatively look for studio monitors from behringer, krk, etc. They are not cheap, but will provide you with very accurate sound.

I do respect everyones opinion here because I'm no George Lucas.LOL.Seriously guys, the onboard audio isn't as horrible as you think.Ofcourse it comes nowhere closer to cards and I did give it a thought earlier when I bought the PC but did not have a really fat budget to accomodate everything hi-fi.I'll definitely buy one in 2-3 months though so expect another recommendation thread.

I've shortlisted the MX 5021 as it does come with a subwoofer but is it possible to add an external sub to the AE5 ? Maybe a sub from an old 2.1 multimedia on a temporary basis ? THX is advertising these Razer Mako 2.1 on their site.Are they good/available ? Is MX 5021 better than Klipsch Promedia ? Is AE5 better than KRK Rokit RP5 G2 ? Can anyone point me to some good audio shops in Mumbai ? PHEW ! :confused:

First of all, let me tell you my budget.It's only +/- 15k..My motherboard has onboard Realtek ALC889A audio and is easily comparable to Creative's X-Fis.The room where my PC sits is rather small so do you recommend 5.1 or 7.1 over 2.0 or 2.1 as far as my taste is concerned ?
HI,

For 7.1 system
i will recommend you the creative T7900 system, its a gem.

Creative inspire T7900
10321_1.png

,are a solid buy for games/movies for PC and home entertainment.
whathifi.gif
: 4 stars
uk_pc_extreme2005.gif
: 80% out of 100%, PC Extreme (United Kingdom).

I had problem with placement of the speakers, for that i purchased (Rs 1500/- a pair) two sets/pairs of speaker stands from SONY, Model:WS-FV11, Creative India don't sell/import stands.
31ZLMzabPXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So, Total cost=speakers + stands+ 2 RCA to stereo cables = 6850/- +3000/- + 200/-=10,050/-=pure entertainment.

Brief review:
There are no other brands selling low cost 7.1 speaker systems(including amp within subwoofer), creative T7900 (MRP:Rs 9999/-, got them for Rs 6850/-, all inclusive) are the only low cost nice option.

There is a cable the comes with the unit, to set it up with the computer but i wanted to hook it up with my OPPO 980H DVD player so i used 2RCA to stereo cables.
speakers_TV_VCR2.jpg

After placing/setting the speakers on the stands the quality of surround sound was simply great, i know these are not high end speakers from Creative like the Gigaworks / Megaworks, but with right placement of the satellites the environment is superb and you really feel "money well spent".

What really interesting is the Creative MultiSpeaker Surround (CMSS) upmix technology found as a CMSS button on the subwoofer of T7900, so u get 7.1 even with 5.1/6.1 source,( use "direct" option for Dolby Digital EX)
cmss_image.jpg

DVD movies (like Final destination, S1MONE, Lord of the rings) with DD-EX, sound much better (with DD-Ex set CMSS to direct, all seven speakers get their proper signal, for others use upmix) as T7900 have the Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES and Microsoft DirectSound 3D support.

As the OPPO DV-980H, have all the features, like Channel trim (speaker level adjustment), channel delay (for setting the delay, by calculating the distance of speakers to the listener), Dolby Prologic 2 etc the setup was easy.

The quality of sound with "movies/games" is real good, but with music its average ( but not bad at all),if watching movies is main consideration then these are best suited.

The power of the surround speakers/fronts is 8 W, RMS per channel.

Total wattage is rather sufficient:
six 8w speakers =6x8W =48W
center speaker = 20W(for better dialogue's)
subwoofer = 24 W
Total=92 Watts, RMS.

The Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): 80dB is also impressive as these is no audible hissing.

It also have a Wired Remote Control, which can be a some sort of limitation, but if u have volume control on the remote of DVD player (which OPPO have)/PC also have vol control, then even that is not a big problem.

I will definitely recommend these for someone who
(1) is tight on budget
(2) does not want to sell/exchange/replace his original equipment
(3) want to keep variety in his HT/PC equipment.

You can connect the subwoofer directly to AE5, it has Sub Line out specifically for this through a simple RCA (Left / Right Pair) cable.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back