Good quality spades for speaker wire termination

Thanks.
But 510 rupees for one bloody spade :confused:
That will work out to be 4040.00 only for the spades.....:mad:

Even Kimber Spades will be at that price range .....right? . I have seen some spades ( dont know the company name , may be some chinese stuff ) . The price was Rs.250 each.

I used banana plugs from Designer Audio in Mumbai but they were fairly expensive too. Maybe half this cost but still I am not happy with their fit. They stay a bit loose instead of fitting snugly and making full-on contact. Am on the lookout for good cheap spades myself, along with cable. I checked blue jeans and anti-cable but both work out rather expensive, esp with shipping.

Does anyone know who sells these in bangalore ? I am looking for the kimber pm33 kit or something like that.

Hi,
The kimber basic spades and the banana s are 250/- per piece.(last time i checked) and are of good quality. Have always used the kimber banana and they still make a solid contact after years of use. I know there is a B&W dealer in bglore and am sure he must have them. Another decent spade to buy is the basic Transparent @ 300/- per piece and Lakozy in bombay stocks them.
I suggest u buy from abroad if u can as u gets tons of connectors at very reasonable rates.
Rgds

I used banana plugs from Designer Audio in Mumbai but they were fairly expensive too. Maybe half this cost but still I am not happy with their fit. They stay a bit loose instead of fitting snugly and making full-on contact. Am on the lookout for good cheap spades myself, along with cable. I checked blue jeans and anti-cable but both work out rather expensive, esp with shipping.

There are tons of good cables available now. Demo some supra s. Good sounding/well made/reasonable cables. I guess Boomerang will offer u chord/straight wire but IMO a supra is as good and much cheaper.Transparent is super but expensive even in the US and the kimbers that are good are overpriced here.

If you can use bananas, we have the ultra low mass banana plugs that is used on the Groneberg Quatro cables. 225/-

cheers

@dinyaar: which spades should one look at while buying abroad?

Transparent from the US. Basic one is about 6 USD for a pair. Have to solder and cover with Heat Shrink. Kimber is another option and the main dealer in NYC always has a deal on connectors.

In the UK there are tons available. Gale/Qed are reasonably priced. The newer airlock are more expensive.

If you can use bananas, we have the ultra low mass banana plugs that is used on the Groneberg Quatro cables. 225/-

cheers

Hi,

Do you have any details on these plugs - photos, etc. Do they have a heatshrink cover or other option to bind better with the cable. Thanks

There are tons of good cables available now. Demo some supra s. Good sounding/well made/reasonable cables. I guess Boomerang will offer u chord/straight wire but IMO a supra is as good and much cheaper.Transparent is super but expensive even in the US and the kimbers that are good are overpriced here.

Thanks. Yes, he had suggested Chord Crimson I/Cs as well. But since my budget is exhausted I will look into the Supras.

Hi Again,
I forgot to mention that Acoustic Research Banana/spades are available with Mr Marbin Colah(9819257839). They are priced at Rs 650 per box (which contains 4 connectors) He had put them up at all Sumaria outlets in bbay.
I bought these for a friend and they seemed decent enough.

Hi,

Do you have any details on these plugs - photos, etc. Do they have a heatshrink cover or other option to bind better with the cable. Thanks

I can surely take photos but I dont have any other details except that they are about 0.5 grams each ;) is a sleeve-shaped copper alloy that is rolled and hardened. It is also gold plated. There is no heatshrink supplied with it, but one can use any locally available one. You can crimp or solder or both :D

In general, bananas offer superior termination over spades as the fit is much more snug as opposed to a spade. This is more the case if your speakers/amp have a binding post that can be adjusted such that it tightens the banana inlet.

cheers

I can surely take photos but I dont have any other details except that they are about 0.5 grams each ;) is a sleeve-shaped copper alloy that is rolled and hardened. It is also gold plated. There is no heatshrink supplied with it, but one can use any locally available one. You can crimp or solder or both :D

In general, bananas offer superior termination over spades as the fit is much more snug as opposed to a spade. This is more the case if your speakers/amp have a binding post that can be adjusted such that it tightens the banana inlet.

cheers

I actually like these low mass bananas. Only issue is the heat shrinking.
Check how these are done.
Audioquest - Type - 4 Speaker Cable - No Frills-Audio Advisor
Do we get heat shrinks like these here ?

Heatshrink should be available locally, I am sure of that as I have seen it with folks who bought it locally. SJP road will have it for sure. You just need to find one with a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 (diameter before shrink). You can use a heatgun or a high powered hair dryer and this will work just fine ( I have used this and can show you how, its very simple).

cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back