Good work Samsung, u just ruined it for me..

Imrahn

After couple months of contemplating and demoing lots of HDTVs, finally decided to go for a Samsung 40" LCD TV and guess what i was treated with?? Each and everyone of them salespersons out there trying to speak into my mouth and pushing me to buy something i don't need a bit - LED edgelit LCD TVs.

40B650 - was about to make a 10k advance today morning when he called up and told it would take atleast a month + and still wasn't confident about it coz "Samsung officials" told him to ask customers for a 60 day delay minimum.Guess what, they have the LED(oops, wait, LED edgelit LCD TVs) :mad: ready to deliver for 1.15L with a 22" LCD 3 series/PS3 , both of which i don't fancy in my weirdest dreams(i own a PS3 since 2 years).

40B750 - so i thought, well, 10k higher, so what? i will get this afterall.and he called up and got another 60 day tome frame for delivery.but hey surprise,they can deliver LED(hehe,LED edgelit LCD TVs) 6 series in 1 day with an LCD 22" 3 series which i dont want again,just like in the first place.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

46B650 - I was like WTH?? come on, atleast get me this one for 95k.Yea, i am too stupid to understand the "future" of TVs - LED(oops,again, LED edgelit LCD TVs) and guess what, no surprises this time - they have an LED 6 series 40 inch ready for delivery in 1/2 days and with the same 22" LCD/PS3 that i never needed in the first place.

I thought i successfully endured the smirks on the Samsung salespersons' faces , but after visiting so many showrooms and making calls,and yea, denying so many(similar) FANTASTIC deals of my lifetime I was in deep disarray as to whether i was a weirdo/cheap-ass who couldn't shell off a 1.15L for a Tv that i clearly didn't see fit for my usage.

So, thanx Samsung, for clearly ruining my purchase decisions, and creating an artificial scarcity for pushing ur dumb-ass technology.

/rant

Last edited:
We can understand your frustration. But, please don't go overboard. According to forum rules...

'Even indirect use of abusive language (e.g. B****) will attract moderator action.'

:)

Last edited:
Thanx a lot buddy, for pointing it out....have edited it.Plz do the same with the quote u mad eof the post

Regards

For what I have heard/read and ofcourse seen as well LED edgelit does not do any wonders to the PQ, its just more of a market gimmick. Even I am on a look out for a 42/47" LCD/LED TV and till now have not seen much of a difference on an LED edgelit vis LCD, except maybe the blacks are a wee bit better. Also any show room I have visited I have carried my own BR for a serious comparision and even though the sales person are reluctant to take the trouble of putting up my test condition I make sure I am persuasive to a reasonable limit, else I explicitely show the dissappointment and leave the showroom quitely (there are loads of other dealers available these days). Also Most of the time they tune the TV (they wanna sell, may be because of the margins) to show better PQ, so its always better to carry your own BR, reset the TV settings at factory defaults and compare side by side.

Also choose a showroom that has multiple brands rather than a single brand showroom with multiple models.

For your above experience, I'd say write a stinking mail to all available high authorities of samsung and ditch samsung. (I did this with maruti and went for Spark and believe I am so very much satisfied with my decission, maruti dealer had a tough time explainig my mail.......also did this while my passport was delayed unecessarity and again the agent was in trouble(well kinda trouble)) ............Anyway Try LG ......that is a Brand I'd say have brought excellent product for a price samsung and Sony would eat their hat. For what I have auditioned the LG SL90 LED series and Sraclet LH70 series have a stunning picture quality better than samsung on blacks and contrast ratio and at par with sony with price far lower than these competetors.......
Best of Luck........:)

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
For what I have heard/read and ofcourse seen as well LED edgelit does not do any wonders to the PQ, its just more of a market gimmick. Even I am on a look out for a 42/47" LCD/LED TV and till now have not seen much of a difference on an LED edgelit vis LCD, except maybe the blacks are a wee bit better. Also any show room I have visited I have carried my own BR for a serious comparision and even though the sales person are reluctant to take the trouble of putting up my test condition I make sure I am persuasive to a reasonable limit, else I explicitely show the dissappointment and leave the showroom quitely (there are loads of other dealers available these days). Also Most of the time they tune the TV (they wanna sell, may be because of the margins) to show better PQ, so its always better to carry your own BR, reset the TV settings at factory defaults and compare side by side.

Also choose a showroom that has multiple brands rather than a single brand showroom with multiple models.

For your above experience, I'd say write a stinking mail to all available high authorities of samsung and ditch samsung. (I did this with maruti and went for Spark and believe I am so very much satisfied with my decission, maruti dealer had a tough time explainig my mail.......also did this while my passport was delayed unecessarity and again the agent was in trouble(well kinda trouble)) ............Anyway Try LG ......that is a Brand I'd say have brought excellent product for a price samsung and Sony would eat their hat. For what I have auditioned the LG SL90 LED series and Sraclet LH70 series have a stunning picture quality better than samsung on blacks and contrast ratio and at par with sony with price far lower than these competetors.......
Best of Luck........:)

Regards
Sammy

LED edge lit TV only appear to have more contrast because they are brighter.. They don't have anymore black that CCFL. Infact the viewing angle and black levels are a tad bit poorer that comparitively priced LCDs. You can see this only in the dark! But no surprises here.. Showrooms WILL NOT let you demo the edge lits in the dark. Also there is a possibility of backlight bleed after a year or so after being purchased. This possibility cannot be eliminated.

I have not demod the SL90, But LH70 do NOT have better black than Sansung 6 series or sony. Again needs dark room demo.

They already ruined it for me by not stocking the B450 plasma when I was looking for one.

Having a technology is good, But pushing it into customers is BAD.

I have not demod the SL90, But LH70 do NOT have better black than Sansung 6 series or sony. Again needs dark room demo.

That is what even I felt when walking stright in to the showroom and comparing under conditions the showroom wants us to show. When I played my BR, putting the TV at factory defaults. I did'nt find much of a difference in the blacks, or the over all PQ. heck ....infact even if it does to a small extent, I'd still say LG still beats the VFM part given the very competative PQ viz SONY/SAMSUNG and better features and calibration options LG offeres.....

I wouldn't like to comment on the comparative quality or VFM between LG and Samsung. But I also hate Samsung's current marketing/ pomotion strategy. I was anyway negatively biased against Samsung after having a horrible experience with their LCD service guys and was looking away from its models while looking for a new (40 - 50 inch) LCD/Plasma. But, with some good and informative inputs from some of the forum members (Blasto, Adder), I had started considering Samsung models again - namely the 6 series LCD and the LED models. I made up my mind that with about 10k price difference, I will go for the LA46B650 model only. Because to me it was not making too much sense to spend 1 L for the 6 series LED which doesn't have movie playback (fromUSB) feature that B650 (and most LG LCD) models have. But after enquiring in 3-4 major showrooms yesterday & today, I am losing my patience - first Croma guys told me they have only the display piece left and quoted 1.04 L for that. Then Unilet guys informed me that it would take anywhere between 15 to 45 days to get this model (LA46B650), that too after I confirm my booking. Funnily, just like Imrahn's case - I was also told - "Sir, why don't you buy the Samsung LED model, that's a much better model ....".

Why don't you guys wait a while : Samsung has finally started supplying LED - (not LCD with Backlit Led) in EU. As a owner of a Samsung Series 6, here I, would reccommend you wait a while- the LED PQ is far superior.

In the meanwhile, the word is that some big names( Panasonic ?) might soon start marketing 3-D thats right 3D by year end ......anyone know anything more

Why don't you guys wait a while : Samsung has finally started supplying LED - (not LCD with Backlit Led) in EU. As a owner of a Samsung Series 6, here I, would reccommend you wait a while- the LED PQ is far superior.

In the meanwhile, the word is that some big names( Panasonic ?) might soon start marketing 3-D thats right 3D by year end ......anyone know anything more

Can you post the link to the LED TV you are mentioning?
This is new to me..

And regarding 3D, Current samsung plasmas are 3D ready.. Not sure how it works or even IF it works..

Well, there is always the chance of upgrading after a year down the road as not everyone buys a TV for 10+ year period :D and i don't believe in the waiting game so much, and i am sure am not the only one here.It doesn't make much sense with the speed of technological development that u never is future proof.

As a owner of a Samsung Series 6, here I, would reccommend you wait a while- the LED PQ is far superior.

That my friend is a complete over statement.... :)
you have completely ignored the relative real time performance and subjectiveness of the user's own perception. Though being a samsung owner justifies your statement to an extent.. :). Full LED PQ is "Supposed" to be far superior, unless its not launched comapred and reviewed, can'nt pass a statement with that conviction. What makes you think samsung full LED TV would be better if not "The" best, and LG would not follow, where in fact current LG's backlit LED technology (called local dimming technology) is far superir than what Samsung is using (called EDGE LED). Local Dimming Technology also know as Direct Lighting results in deeper blacks, a wide color gamut and smooth motion for a more natural picture. (google and confirm)

Just a small article to ponder......

CNET Australia - For A World Gone Digital

and an extract from the same article...

Direct or edge mounted?

There are two different methods of LED backlighting: direct and edge. The main advantage of direct lighting is that it can be used to increase contrast levels by turning some LEDs off thus increasing the amount of black in parts of the picture. LG is one of the champions of direct-lighting.

In comparison, edge-lighting's main advantage is that it can be used to make screens that are incredibly thin the LEDs are at the side and not behind the screen. Of course, you lose the ability to switch off parts of the backlighting for better contrast, and picture quality could also suffer if light isn't sufficiently well dispersed

Samsung my dear friend has fake advertized their LED backlit technology as something of a revolution in LCD TVs, and charged an heafty price.....when in reality...... all it were, was an LCD using a backlit LED technology, that to EDGE lit. The only advantage of EDGE LIT over Local Dimming is ..extremely thin cabinet designs thats all. .......

Regards
Sammy

Samsung my dear friend has fake advertized their LED backlit technology as something of a revolution in LCD TVs, and charged an heafty price..

Regards
Sammy

Did you note the Irony? Sammy is short for samsung. :D :eek:hyeah:

Did you note the Irony? Sammy is short for samsung. :D :eek:hyeah:

I dont own an LCD yet :) so I am not biased, I place my inclination based on authentic information and auditions, and anyway Isnt this thread about Samsung's shortcomings :)....... they do have few geniune ones.

I dont own an LCD yet :) so I am not biased, I place my inclination based on authentic information and auditions, and anyway Isnt this thread about Samsung's shortcomings :)....... they do have few geniune ones.

I meant "SAMMY" is short name of samsung..
Anyway..

I meant "SAMMY" is short name of samsung..
Anyway..

Is it lol :D my bad then I didnt know that, I mean I read the name Sammy here and there but I never knew its short for samsung...... I apologise for my post above then...:)

I am confused jbguide. Which Samsung LED model is selling in EU ? AFAIK, there is no pure LED TV (AMOLED) in the market today. The largest commercial available AmoLED is expected to be in Apple Tablet which should be announced today.

All large flat panels today are still Plasma or LCD - or so I thought !

I am confused jbguide. Which Samsung LED model is selling in EU ? AFAIK, there is no pure LED TV (AMOLED) in the market today. The largest commercial available AmoLED is expected to be in Apple Tablet which should be announced today.

All large flat panels today are still Plasma or LCD - or so I thought !

Local dimming LED LCD is considered "Full LED".. The term is introduced by TV manufacturers to hide their incompetence in bringing out consumer level amoled screens at a reasonable price any faster..

Also, general public is highly ill informed to consider the LED backlits as actual LEDs!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back