Goodbye to vinyl

Hi Pratimbayal

When Asit heard the set up it was playing all wrong. My power cords at that time were brand new and everything was sounding quite shrill, congested and opaque. What Asit heard was simply not the Esoteric sound. I never did call the Esoteric rig mid level. My vinyl rig is what i had called mid level.

Hi Prem,
When I heard your system, there was still plenty to like about it and I have described that appropriately at a few places in the forum. In particular, I loved your Sadhnas, because they have the sound that I like for my kind of music: very natural sounding, open, reasonably transparent and tonally balanced, and with the necessary thump wherever needed and excellent separation of all the instruments. I grew up listening to live music (unamplified) where the performers were only a few feet away from me, and no wonder I keep looking for that ambience whenever I am listening to music through a system as well. Within my very limited budget and ability, I try to achieve that in my system.

At the same time, I also know what exactly you are talking about in your post I have quoted. I know to get the best out of every component, everything has to be correct: from matching of equipments and cables to burning in of each component. But class still shows.

Thanks again for your wonderful hospitality.

Regards.

Hi Asit

It was lovely to have you over. I look forward to your visit again.

I haven't been to Mumbai since I guess 2001. I used to love Mumbai but believing reports by media around MNS, north Indians are not welcome. No idea when can I be there. I have to find an excuse - maybe a job interview :)

Of course Anm. You are most welcome.

You're most welcome over if you want to. I'd suggest Siva's, Cadence and my amp so you can get a first hand experience of different tube setups since you were interested in tube sound, and Prithvi's for the Rethms which I think he runs with a tube amp, Unison Research. I could clean some good classical records and keep em ready :)

regards

Thanks!I would love to hear your gear,and watch you traverse the world in a 45!Have heard the Rethms at Prithvi's,though not with a Unison,and they were magnificent.
*Incidentally,Don't Fear The Reaper was one of my favorite tracks,back in the bad old 80's.I had a double album on tape called Rock Legends which was truly legendary....walk on the wild side,don't fear the reaper,all along the watchtower,badge,black betty,mockingbird,broken dream,paranoid,hi ho silver lining,layla and many more...

Since this thread is about saying Goodbye to Vinyl can we have more impressions from:
A.People who are CD only and have never tried Vinyl
B.People who tried Vinyl and went back to CD
C.People who are Vinyl only and will never go back to CD
D.People who mix and match both
E.People who have moved on to a hard disk
F.People who prefer the sound of cassettes

I am from camp A,because long ago,I made a commitment to CD music and it would be too much of a bother to change course.Also I have not heard Vinyl on a good rig therefore my 'desire' has not been awakened.Although I do believe that a good Vinyl recording in a good rig will be better than CD,which ultimately is a bit too shrill and forward for my taste.I believe,I lost something in the sound when I moved away from cassettes.But that loss of 'something' was compensated by the greater detail and clarity of CD.Incidentally I remember reading that Bob Dylan and Neil Young (my two favorite 'pop-ular' artists until a few years back) have never liked the CD format and feel that on CD's their music dosen't sound the way it was 'supposed' to sound.

Last edited:
ajay you can add JJ Cale to the list as well.... and i believe that these three artists still record on analogue, because of their belief that CD/ digital being inferior....

I have a mix and match kind of system and hope that one day I get all my music on vinyl...

I truly believe that CD just doesn't have that most essential 'it'!

I find that vinly is more 'organic' more 'warm' 'musical' - and when set properly more 'palpable'.

I am at a loss for words when I want to describe the differences.... you have truly hear a nicely set up vinyl rig and compare it to a nicely set up cd rig to know the differences....

at the very top end of both, however, i wouldn't look at which is better, because one can't say that either is better. But, one can hear a difference in tonality and 'feel' in either presentation. At this level - it is about what feel more 'correct' to your ears.

Vinyl feels perfect to mine.

Vinyl feels perfect to mine.

Malvai,

Try a cd playabck system at the same level as your clear audio TT and I have a feeling your conclusions will be mixed. Some will sound better on TT and vice versa.

The Krell/Theil combo is a "military precision" audio setup :) (for the lack of a better word). In such a setup a TT can make the sound a bit more organic which could be the reason why you prefer the TT to the CD (just another observation).

Hi Ajay,

I guess this is gonna be one of those YMMV situations.

For me, I've grown up with vinyl in the house an old HMV played through a Philips radio :D and when CDs first came out I was looking forward to this magic new medium. I had got Deep Purple Burn recorded by a road side vendor from LP onto tape and instruments and vocals on this recording had a beautiful presence and sort of dimensionality to it while the CD sounded like a pale imitation, very sterile, going through the motions versus a real flesh and blood guitar. Am quite sure that guy had an el cheapo record player not some high end stuff and basic recording gear. Coudn't really understand at that time, being in college and all... :) I've found this quality in LPs no matter what the condition and in players that cost even 3.5k.

Hence its LPs all the way for me and I jumped off the fence and exited digital selling off my cd player and DAC. All my CDs are in the process of being digitised for my iPod for convenience listening now. Or an occasional listen through the system. I don't mind digital through Airport Express now. It has its flaws, but its decent enough for me to not miss a full fledged digital setup.

Plus the thrill of the whole experience of handling it, caring for it, the huge cover art and the vinyl spinning in front of you makes for a lovely overall bonus experience.

99% of my collection is second hand stuff. A handful of new records bought online so far.

regards

@stevieboy/malvai
Where do you buy your Vinyl's from?What is the quality of recording? Have you bought the expensive stuff priced in the 1000-3000 range?How does that sound?What genre do you normally buy-Rock?Jazz?Classical?

Ajay, I scour the flea market (chor bazaar)... sometimes one finds a lot of good stuff, the vinyls in 8/10 to 10/10 condition.... even though the covers are all bunged up...

Yes, I have also bought a lot of the new releases in the 1k -4k range: Metallica, Steely Dan Aja (special, ltd edn, numbered CISCO 180gm pressing), Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat (RTI, Benny Grundman, 180 gm, audiophile pressing) and many many more.

I pick up all kinds of stuff - Classic Rock to Jazz, and while I have seen a lot of Classical in Mint condition, have not bought any!

I found some really good Verve, prestige and impulse pressings of great jazz music like Coltrane, ella, Miles, monk etc as well!

All in all i have about 1250 LP's now!

About 400 were bought new and 600 from the flea market. about 250 have been bought from sellers on ebay and audiogon- all mint condition 'Never played but kept nicely' kinda stuff!

Ajay, I scour the flea market (chor bazaar)... LP's now!

Paaji - where you get good stuff in Chor Bazaar?Aap hamain to batate nahi:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Yes ,from my limited visits too I acquired some classic bollywood ,mostly in decent condition,never in great condition

One collectible I got is India's first picture LP - Yeh hain Amitabh ,without cover.I think It requires cleaning as it gives a lot of crackling noise.Almo got a decent collection of gazals ,alibit at higher price.
Very very few records of classical rock I found.

@manav
"All in all i have about 1250 LP's now!"

That's a huge collection!
My total collection of cd's at the moment is 350-400.
But I am in a minimalist mode.Any music that that scores less than 70/100 on my listening preference (which would include 99% of the rock I have ever heard) is put on the chopping block.
I think it has something to do with individual psychology.I don't like clutter.I keep furnishings in our house down to the bare minimum.I would not be able to listen to a hifi setup which had a tangle of untidy wires going all over the place.I am interested in the Bryston cdp because I would prefer the source/amp to have identical looks:)
I intend to add 300+cd's more over the next few years.But every cd will be handpicked.No slackers!In jazz I am lookin for
Bud Powell Amazing Bud Powell/Tempus Fugue-It
Clifford Brown Study In Brown/With Strings/With Max Roach
Charlie Parker Complete Savoy Live/Complete Verve Master Takes
Dizzy Gillespie Live Town Hall With Bird/Sitting In/Complete RCA Victor
Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus
Lester Young Complete Savoy
Charlie Christian Genius Of The Electric Guitar
Art Tatum 20th Century Piano Genius
Joe Pass Virtuoso(1)
Count Basie Complete Decca
Dave Brubeck For All time Box Set
Nina Simone Anthology
Ella Fitzgerald Gershwin/Cole Porter Song Books

Thats about it.Specifically these CD's and very little else.Don't want to clutter up my collection with stuff I would not listen to very often.

Last edited:
Paaji - where you get good stuff in Chor Bazaar?Aap hamain to batate nahi:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Yes ,from my limited visits too I acquired some classic bollywood ,mostly in decent condition,never in great condition

One collectible I got is India's first picture LP - Yeh hain Amitabh ,without cover.I think It requires cleaning as it gives a lot of crackling noise.Almo got a decent collection of gazals ,alibit at higher price.
Very very few records of classical rock I found.

Buddy, its the same places and people that we discuss.... but you know you gotta know your classic rock to identify and buy :lol::lol::lol::lol:

When i say classic rock, i don't mean just the usual suspects like Dire Straits, Led Zep, Purple, Floyd, Dylan, etc!

I mean, Gentle Giant, Wishbone Ash, King Crimson, Spirit, etc!

One gets a whole lotta good stuff, simply because of a multitude of ignorance! And because none of these appear to be quick sellers, one even gets them at a better price! Heh heh heh!

@manav
"All in all i have about 1250 LP's now!"

That's a huge collection!
My total collection of cd's at the moment is 350-400.
But I am in a minimalist mode.Any music that that scores less than 70/100 on my listening preference (which would include 99% of the rock I have ever heard) is put on the chopping block.
I think it has something to do with individual psychology.I don't like clutter.I keep furnishings in our house down to the bare minimum.I would not be able to listen to a hifi setup which had a tangle of untidy wires going all over the place.I am interested in the Bryston cdp because I would prefer the source/amp to have identical looks:)
I intend to add 300+cd's more over the next few years.But every cd will be handpicked.No slackers!In jazz I am lookin for
Bud Powell Amazing Bud Powell/Tempus Fugue-It
Clifford Brown Study In Brown/With Strings/With Max Roach
Charlie Parker Complete Savoy Live/Complete Verve Master Takes
Dizzy Gillespie Live Town Hall With Bird/Sitting In/Complete RCA Victor
Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus
Lester Young Complete Savoy
Charlie Christian Genius Of The Electric Guitar
Art Tatum 20th Century Piano Genius
Joe Pass Virtuoso(1)
Count Basie Complete Decca
Dave Brubeck For All time Box Set
Nina Simone Anthology
Ella Fitzgerald Gershwin/Cole Porter Song Books

Thats about it.Specifically these CD's and very little else.Don't want to clutter up my collection with stuff I would not listen to very often.

I do have a number of LP's by the artists marked in bold! I have almost the entire discography of Ella, including the title mentioned by you!

Ella is a goddess!

By the way when it comes to vinyl, i have the same philosophy as you! As Lp's anyway take waaaaay more space!

Almost everything I have has been handpicked. I don't buy in 'lots'... If i don;t listen to it/or haven;t heard and liked earlier, does not get bought.

However, there are some LP's that I don't listen to at all and are just there to keep the sentiments of the person who gifted it to me! You know what i mean, i'm sure!

The usual places Fort and Balaji here in Bangalore. Had stopped buying 2-3 years back cos I've got no place to store now!!! Bout 6-700 I think. And once in a while I'll get random calls from someone saying he's an LP dealer and when I come to bombay I must visit his place hehe :D

Will start buying again when I get the Spin Clean cos manual cleaning right now takes up quite a bit of time...

Buddy, its the same places and people that we discuss.... but you know you gotta know your classic rock to identify and buy :lol::lol::lol::lol:

When i say classic rock, i don't mean just the usual suspects like Dire Straits, Led Zep, Purple, Floyd, Dylan, etc!

I mean, Gentle Giant, Wishbone Ash, King Crimson, Spirit, etc!

One gets a whole lotta good stuff, simply because of a multitude of ignorance! And because none of these appear to be quick sellers, one even gets them at a better price! Heh heh heh!

Paaji just joking!You are always helpful to everyone!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back