Got ONKYO TX-DS939 - initial review

accord

I just fall in love with 939 after listening (i think it happens with all of us:D ) and finally took home last saturday and got a compliment from HM that cant be disclosed here :eek: .

AVR is in very good condition with learning remote (that needs extra table) , super heavy more then 25kg, looks very premium and required some time to understand via manual.

After doing lot of tweaks and experiments of settings, here is my experience -

Music - Just awesome and melodious, dali again surprised me with what kind of detailed music these can produce. Music wise this is far ahead from my earlier amps. I also have heard NAD, marantz amps during audition of dali fs and think 939 is more musical than these as per my personnel knowledge and understanding.

Movies - I watched transformer, Jurassic park 1; 939 just changed the character of all speakers even when i dont have sub in my setup. While watching JP1 there was raining & lightning outside & my kids though that real dinosaurs are going to come from window ..:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Till now experience is very good except one fault - cooling was not working and unit gets heat up:mad:. My solution - fixed a 12v CPU fan as an exhaust from outside on existing fan, sealed with 3m tape and amp is super cool since then :clapping::clapping:.

Good to know that have got a great receiver that can amplify at a great range.

Enjoy the weekends with the beast:clapping::clapping:

I just fall in love with 939 after listening (i think it happens with all of us:D ) and finally took home last saturday and got a compliment from HM that cant be disclosed here :eek: .

AVR is in very good condition with learning remote (that needs extra table) , super heavy more then 25kg, looks very premium and required some time to understand via manual.

After doing lot of tweaks and experiments of settings, here is my experience -

Music - Just awesome and melodious, dali again surprised me with what kind of detailed music these can produce. Music wise this is far ahead from my earlier amps. I also have heard NAD, marantz amps during audition of dali fs and think 939 is more musical than these as per my personnel knowledge and understanding.

Movies - I watched transformer, Jurassic park 1; 939 just changed the character of all speakers even when i dont have sub in my setup. While watching JP1 there was raining & lightning outside & my kids though that real dinosaurs are going to come from window ..:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Till now experience is very good except one fault - cooling was not working and unit gets heat up:mad:. My solution - fixed a 12v CPU fan as an exhaust from outside on existing fan, sealed with 3m tape and amp is super cool since then :clapping::clapping:.

You have got yourself a gem. Congratulations!!! I had past experiences with its bigger brother Onkyo TX-DS989. The main differences between today's avrs and that of yesteryear's is that older generation sounds more musical. AVRs like 939 had robust power supply and power amp sections which produces tons of power. Hence you speakers open up as they are fed properly.

I once wrote something about DS989: http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/27095-help-me-choose-between-these-mega-monsters-15.html#post508017

Enjoy!!!

They're a good rig... Just looked into it... It too uses the big MT200 Sanken power transistors... Not long ago I bought the TX-DS989 and it's been great, the 939 is in this class. You should enjoy this for years to come

Thanks for your comments dear. It's really far ahead of my other existing amps. as I'm more in to music listening it give full depth with low volume too.

You have got yourself a gem. Congratulations!!! I had past experiences with its bigger brother Onkyo TX-DS989. The main differences between today's avrs and that of yesteryear's is that older generation sounds more musical. AVRs like 939 had robust power supply and power amp sections which produces tons of power. Hence you speakers open up as they are fed properly.

I once wrote something about DS989: http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/27095-help-me-choose-between-these-mega-monsters-15.html#post508017

Enjoy!!!

I have opened it up with a question of why is it so heavy and after looking inside immediately closed and screwed with big eyes. Every thing inside are huge don't know much technically..:p

They're a good rig... Just looked into it... It too uses the big MT200 Sanken power transistors... Not long ago I bought the TX-DS989 and it's been great, the 939 is in this class. You should enjoy this for years to come

I have one of these that my father left to us along with a mint pair of JBL L7 speakers. Listened to it a lot back in the day. Not sure what to do with it now since I need HDMI.

Any ideas where to find it a good home where it won't get dumped into a landfill or sold at a garage sale for $10? I am sure there's someone interested in these, just can't figure out how to find them!

Thanks

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back