GPRS Internet Access with Nokia 5800 and Laptop

deba

Dear All,

I have connected my Nokia 5800 via Bluetooth with my Laptop and made the phone work as Modem to access Internet using GPRS Connection.

I am using BSNL GPRS Connection but getting approximately 15 to 17 kBps speed only which is slow compared to my BSNL ADSL Broadband at 64 kBps
(512 kbps).

Share your experience with BSNL Mobile GPRS connectivity and speed.

I have heard that BSNL has started to provide 2G Internet connection on wireless 3G USB Modem at Rs 200/-+per month. How well does it work? Any User experience will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am just about to go and purchase a moto Rokr WX395 el cheapo (2800/-) for its bluetooth DUN and GPRS. I am going to try and make my ipod touch mobile ...
but I plan to get Airtel GPRS ...

Will let you know how it goes ...

Cheers

I have used Airtel EGPRS its far better than BSNL....let us know.....:cool:)

Gprs has usually been slow here, be it airtel or vodafone or idea. all that I have used, have given me somewhere close to 10kbps. Edge gives slightly better speeds 15-20kbps. But thats it,nothing great.

@Deba - Why don't you get a 3G SIM card from BSNL, I've seens plan for around 700 INR including 2 GB of data allowance. The difference between E & 3G will be day & night. Some BSNL users do tell that they get upto 1 Mbps at few places and it will get better with more coverage.

Dear All,

I have connected my Nokia 5800 via Bluetooth with my Laptop and made the phone work as Modem to access Internet using GPRS Connection.

I am using BSNL GPRS Connection but getting approximately 15 to 17 kBps speed only which is slow compared to my BSNL ADSL Broadband at 64 kBps
(512 kbps).

Share your experience with BSNL Mobile GPRS connectivity and speed.

I have heard that BSNL has started to provide 2G Internet connection on wireless 3G USB Modem at Rs 200/-+per month. How well does it work? Any User experience will be appreciated.

Thanks.

with 3G enabled set if you can, get a BSNL 3G SIM for faster internet access.
when browsing at home use the Wifi feature..
I used the Vodafone GPRS 200 connection, but the speed is pathetic while travelling/commuting (technical issues with the GPRS bandwidth while travelling for which 3G is better)

I was thinking about it, but dont want to spend 4 to 6K on a 3G phone.

Is there a text screen only 3G phone with bluethooth DUN profile?

The BSNL 3G will require a 3G enabled specific model right?

Regards

Gobble, if its only for internet use with computer,why dont you go for bsnl 3g usb modem.?

Actually Its not for computer. Was hoping to eventually find a hack to use the mobile as a modem for the ipod touch. It doesnt seem possible at this time, but better to be prepared when it comes rather than dump the phone within a year.

Cheers

BSNL 3G Unlimited Plan is very expensive at present and being a heavy downloader it is quiet useless to take Limited Plans which will make it even more expensive.

Yesterday I visited a BSNL agent and I was told that their EVDO is quiet good at Rs 3000/- Approx which includes the price of modem and Activation charge and will have to pay Rs 750/- or 650/- PM for Unlimited Plans at 2Mbps.If it works then its a very good plan.

I already have a 512 Kbps BSNL Broadband which works perfect but I am looking for high speed wireless Internet.

There is another option of using the BSNL 3G USB modem for 2G connection at Rs 274/- per month, the speed they say is quiet good but not as fast as EVDO.

Got my BSNL 3G Connection yesterday and the speed I am getting is 45 KBps only........signal is also very poor.........8-((

Got my BSNL 3G Connection yesterday and the speed I am getting is 45 KBps only........signal is also very poor.........8-((

ROFL1 :lol: i think you need to be in the same building....

Not all buildings have 3G tower. You need to read the bsnl 3G FAQ or ask them.

Cheers

hello friends today is 31st decmber and 1/2 hr left to celebrate the new year , currently i am using nokia 5235 phone with bsnl 2g sim . 3 months befor i had another bsnl no 9439 ***** but my phone(nokia E63) got stolen and i lost that number . after that i bought another no which i am currently using .in my previous mobile no i use to get around 200kbps download speed of any file .i was the happiest person because i use to watch live videos ,downloading movies and songs only at 274RS only . so i thought to get the previous benifit i bought the new bsnl 2G sim but in hell i did not get the speed ever after .it gives me only 15 to 20 kbps downloading speed . so i bought another bsnl no yesterday (30th dec)and the result is same .so i decided to check with my pc system and my phone .i formatted them both wtih no improvement .then one my friend who have also bsnl sim 9439**** who hadbought with me ,said that he always get the previous speed around 200 kbps so i put his sims in my mobile and u wont belive it showed the 200 kbps speed of download ,when i put my new sim in his nokia N97 and connected to pc it only reached the 20kbps limit ,i did it so many times with interchanging sim and phone but his ph no always have much higher download speed , so to satisfy myself today i boought another new bsnl sim .and the result is nothing same 20kbps .evev if my no and my friends no are 2G sim but both are providing different net speed ,...........
i dont kont know what to do ........
i check my downloading speed with IDM(internet download manager),DAP(doenload accelator plus)and utorrent.
i hope anybody have answer to this problem how to get back to the previous internet speed ..........................

hello friends today is 31st decmber and 1/2 hr left to celebrate the new year , currently i am using nokia 5235 phone with bsnl 2g sim . 3 months befor i had another bsnl no 9439 ***** but my phone(nokia E63) got stolen and i lost that number . after that i bought another no which i am currently using .in my previous mobile no i use to get around 200kbps download speed of any file .i was the happiest person because i use to watch live videos ,downloading movies and songs only at 274RS only . so i thought to get the previous benifit i bought the new bsnl 2G sim but in hell i did not get the speed ever after .it gives me only 15 to 20 kbps downloading speed . so i bought another bsnl no yesterday (30th dec)and the result is same .so i decided to check with my pc system and my phone .i formatted them both wtih no improvement .then one my friend who have also bsnl sim 9439**** who hadbought with me ,said that he always get the previous speed around 200 kbps so i put his sims in my mobile and u wont belive it showed the 200 kbps speed of download ,when i put my new sim in his nokia N97 and connected to pc it only reached the 20kbps limit ,i did it so many times with interchanging sim and phone but his ph no always have much higher download speed , so to satisfy myself today i boought another new bsnl sim .and the result is nothing same 20kbps .evev if my no and my friends no are 2G sim but both are providing different net speed ,...........
i dont kont know what to do ........
i check my downloading speed with IDM(internet download manager),DAP(doenload accelator plus)and utorrent.
i hope anybody have answer to this problem how to get back to the previous internet speed ..........................

The e63 supports GPRS class32. Your replacement phone is probably class 10 or 11.

Edit: both are class 32.

Hth

Back