Grey products in HiFi world

deeps007

I have heard a lot from HiFi system dealers about grey products floating around and that they only have the genuine products.
I am curious to know how to identify what is grey and what is genuine and how to identify?
Does any esteemed member has had experience?

Hi,
Some products might be actually have a grey color paint job.
But I don’t think the HiFi market is big enough for counterfeiting and knock offs to be profitable.
There are a few knock of designs of legendary audio circuits made in the far east, but the external appearance is distinctly different.
licensing of proprietary design happen; eg Sound Artist and Musical fidelity have recently released BBC LS3a models.
My sense is the dealer’s idea does not float

My understanding of grey market is that the product has been brought into the country through unauthorized channels - i.e; brought in without duty being paid or even smuggled. Usually these are offered by unauthorized dealers and may not have any warranty. To be able to tell if the product is grey market one has to do due diligence on the dealer and verify with the manufacturer if the dealer is authorized. In the past I have e-mailed manufacturers on their contact e-mail to verify who their Indian dealer/distributor is. Especially important because distributors are changed very often in India.
Cheers,
Sid

I always buy direct from the manufacturer if there is no dealer, or look at their website for authorized dealers. Often confirm they are still dealers because the website can be out of date. There are also "fake" products I guess that are copies but I am not aware of those so much in home audio. In pro audio when its a copy you usually know and the copy being sold is not labelled as the original but the makers own branding. This way you know its a copy and has a price to match it.

I have heard a lot from HiFi system dealers about grey products floating around and that they only have the genuine products.
I am curious to know how to identify what is grey and what is genuine and how to identify?

Ask for a proper GST bill. Most grey market items are sold without bills in cash only transactions.
You will not be able to tell if a product is from the grey market when bought new as they are brought in sealed condition.

Also note that there is a difference between grey market and back channels were dealers will sell demo (open box) or unsold stock at a discount. At the end of the day do your research and do not buy from sources without a reference.

In my understanding, grey products refer to items that have been obtained through unauthorized or illegal channels. My friend was searching for a Denon 3700 and came across a seller in Hyderabad who offered to sell it for 68,000 rupees without warranty. The seller planned to ship the AVR through an interstate bus for 300/-, and my friend would need to collect it from the transporter's office. The seller assured him that if the AVR encountered any issues within the first year, he would take care of the repairs. Ultimately, he bought from an authorized dealer as he did want to take that risk..

My two cents
Isn't it better to buy from an authorized seller?Because if one buys from a trusted authorized seller then he can have atleast the warranty. Even if one doesn't have the budget then one can buy preowned stuff from the classified section of our forum.
Regards

Grey market is now a risky proposition after online channels and OLX has joined the crowd . Strictly avoid them .

Previously there were markets in every major city in India which was well know for importing goods from Abroad . Goods which were not available in India . They used to import goods (Original) and sell it at a lesser price without paying taxes to govt . So No guarantee/ Warranty . But the goods were original .

Ex - Manish Market , Heera Panna , Lamington Road in Mumbai . Ritchie Street in Chennai .These guys have been doing this Business for many years in a proper establishment .

I have purchased Samsung 3CD changer in 2000's when they were not available in India . My first HiFi - Marantz PM7001 was also a grey market amp which worked well for around 5 years .

Now its different , They get old , outdated , discontinued models i .e they are not available when the latest model is available with the dealer - So this could even be refurbished , B-Stock items etc . You cant be sure about the quality of product that you are getting . Since they are all online its difficult to check and find out .

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back