Guidance needed for AVR & FS (Budget:Rs1Lac)

shagun

Dear All,
After some self-realization and some study, I have come up with an updated set of requirements from my desired HTS:

Room size: 20x22 with lots of doors & openings
Already have:Samsung 40" LCD, Philips DVD Player, 2 85W Sony speakers which I intend to use as Rear speakers.
Budget: 40000 for AVR and 60000 for 2FS & 1center; would buy subWoofer later if required.

Usage: 60% Music(FM,Worldspace,Audio CD) 25%-TV(Airtel DTH mainly music related programs/channels) 15%-Movies
Music choice: Bollywood, AR Rehman, Soft Hindi Ballads
For music,the setup should have exceptional clarity at low volumes(when my wife is around) and should be powerful at high volumes(when I am alone) and for movies, should give a good surround experience.

Please help me choose between the following AVRs:
1. Marantz 5003
2. Denon 1909
3. Yamaha 663

and the following FS:
1. MA RS6
2. PSB Image T45
3. Jamo C607
4. Dali Ikon6
5. Quad 22L2
6. KEF iQ9
7. AE Neo3

My Queries:
a. Please suggest me best combination of AVR-FS as per my needs.
My own audition experiences have left me confused with a poor image of my audiophile sense. Maybe it will improve with experience(probably after buying something & listening for long). So instead of auditioning all, I prefer to proceed this way: I will shortlist 2-3combos out of the above from your inputs and would audition only those and pick one of them.
In case few speakers of the above are not in the same league, please let me know.

b. Does audio from fm & Airtel DTH have enough details to sound good on AVR+FS.

c. Does center speaker add any value in 2-channel Music.

d. Do I need to have subWoofer with these FS.

e. Please indicate the price for Quad 22L2, KEF iQ9, AE Neo3.

Thanks for your patience and thanks in anticipation of your inputs.
Best Regards.

Last edited:
on the speakers i would suggest the monitor audio rs6.

as for your avr, if you only have a stereo setup when it comes to speakers, why do you want a surround sound amp. are you planning to add on to a 5.1 speaker set up. if youre not a good stereo amp will be much better

centre channel doesnt add value to stereo music. as for a sub unless you want to shake the room you wont need it - the rs6 have sufficient bass

a. Please suggest me best combination of AVR-FS as per my needs.

c. Does center speaker add any value in 2-channel Music.

d. Do I need to have subWoofer with these FS.

e. Please indicate the price for Quad 22L2, KEF iQ9, AE Neo3.

a. Denon/Ikon6 OR Marantz/RS6

b. Hard to say. It totally depends on your reception.

c. No

d. For movies, yes.

e. ......................

I have over lady 2-3 months heard almost all of the speakers on your shortlist in 2 channel as well as 5.1 channel set up and according to me the raking of the speakers in reducing order of pregernce is as follows-
1/ monitor rs6
2/ mezzo 6 (it's not on your list but worth a listen)
3/ kef iq series
4/ quad
5/ Dali ikon6

didn't like jamo at all

Rs6 and mezzo were I felt v god for music esp tho rs6 us better than mezzo if one wants to use them for movies as well

I already had denon so haven't checked out other avrs but most people say that rs6 being on brighter side goes better with a warm AVR like marantz

Btw I finally purchased rs6 this weekend

Hope this helps

sorry missed the psb t45 image- I would rank it higher than kef

These are just my thoughts based on limited understanding of technicalities of music so may vary from others views on relative grading of these speakers
Cheers

Dear All,
Thanks for your inputs.
The clear choice in speakers in MA RS6 and as suggested it is best paired with Marantz.

Afj: I am planning to start with a 5.0 (I will buy FS&Center & use old speakers as rears). Later would upgrade to 5.1 if needed. But with RS6 I think this will not be needed for a while.

Shyamal: Congratulations for the RS6. It must be great feeling to own such nice speakers.
It is not available in NCR. Please let me know where is it available in Mumbai(would visit in a month).
Which center have you paired them with: RS LCR is costly and I do not know how they pair with BR LCR.
Also would appreciate if you can PM me the discount you got on RS6.

Best Regards.

Dear All,
Thanks for your inputs.
The clear choice in speakers in MA RS6 and as suggested it is best paired with Marantz.

Afj: I am planning to start with a 5.0 (I will buy FS&Center & use old speakers as rears). Later would upgrade to 5.1 if needed. But with RS6 I think this will not be needed for a while.

im not really into surround sound but imo once you have the front 2 speakers, go for the centre next, the sub and finally the rears. and if the plan is to go for the sub then you dont need floorstanders now - bookshelves will do

Dear All,

Shyamal: Congratulations for the RS6. It must be great feeling to own such nice speakers.
It is not available in NCR. Please let me know where is it available in Mumbai(would visit in a month).
Which center have you paired them with: RS LCR is costly and I do not know how they pair with BR LCR.
Also would appreciate if you can PM me the discount you got on RS6.

Best Regards.

thanks. yeah..its sounding pretty good with movies and music, with my denon. Boomarang are dealers in Mumbai (Vijay 26194452, u can giv my ref). Distributors are based in chennai.

I belive its preferable to have atleast the fronts and centres from same series. one can mix n match sub and surrounds. so i hv paired with RSLCR. for sub am looking at either wharf sw150 or velodyne impact 10 or 12. surrounds are BRFX of MA bronze series.

thanks for this input on the sub. Btw mezzo 6 came pretty close to rs6 in my opinion. Would be great to hear some opinions in the comparion between the 2 from other members. Whathifi rates both as five star
Anyway worth checking out once in case there are any mezzo dealers in Delhi

Shagun, you have received enough suggestions regarding the products, and I also see that you are veering towards a particular model for speakers. That is good. Since the bulk of your usage is music, Marant, Denon, Yamaha would be a good order for the AVRs. Actually it might make sense to get a Yamaha for movies and a two channel amplifier for music, but that would complicate your budget. Now to your questions.

FM transmission is in stereo and you should be able to get good stereo imaging when connected properly.

DTH is a slightly confusing story. The KU Band used by most DTH providers is capable of carrying AC3 or 5.1 channel signals. Unfortunately most providers have not yet upgraded their equipment including the set top box they provide for you to receive multi channel audio. So essentially what you will get is stereo sound.

Does center speaker add any value in 2-channel Music.

Music is 2.0 or the front left and right speakers only. No other speakers are used. Using an AVR, you can also enable the sub and make it 2.1, but remember, the original recording is always 2.0. I am speaking about your standard Redbook CDs.

Do I need to have subWoofer with these FS.

As I explained above, if you are listening to pure stereo music, you are using only the front L&R speakers.

But when you are watching movies, you do need a sub.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back