Guidance Needed on Home Sound Setup

Orez

Hi

Am new here and am hoping to get some guidance on "What" to buy in terms of the overall system and then "what" to buy in terms of models

Had a music system years back and had stopped listening due to the time to get the entire thing playing. Was using a couple of Bluetooth speakers in the house before I heard music playing somewhere and realized how much I miss it. Planning to purchase a system where convenience is the first priority so that I get started again. The plan is:
1. Firing off music quickly is a priority. Video is also via streaming services currently. So the source of content will be primarily over Wifi. This will not change.
2. Music-Video split will be 70-30 % and this will sit with the TV.
3. Do not need surround sound, a 2.1 setup is sufficient.
4. No floor standing speakers for sure. Infact, the ideal size needs to be less than 12" high and < 5" wide. Else I will need to move the TV which is not entirely practical in my current wall.
5. My room is L-shaped with an open kitchen making it U-shaped. The overall size including kitchen (where music listening is not important) becomes 450 sq. feet. The primary listening area will be the room which forms the base of a "U". This means there is very little running wall on one side of the entire room.

My plan is to use Fire Stick / Chromecast, plugged into the Sound system directly (so that music can be played without TV on). Need some guidance in setting up a system and how can it be setup.
Option 1: Use a Sound Bar with a Sub: Quick and Easy but it was hearing music over a 2.1 after a long time which reminded me of a new music setup in the first place. I liked the soundbars but speakers just sounded better.
Option 2: Use AV receiver with passive speakers.
Option 3: Use an integrated Amplifier instead of a receiver (if it has HDMI inputs for Fire TV/ Chromecast and output HDMI for TV) alongwith passive speakers. Are there Amplifiers like this available? If the Amplifier does not have HDMI, then I will be forced to switch on TV each time even for Audio only over Wifi.
Option 4: (Not sure if this option is possible. But theoretically it should work) - Use satellite speakers alongwith a good Sub and an Integrated Amplifier. Is such an option possible as this will work best for me considering the physical size restrictions I have for the speakers.

In terms of my choice, if it is possible, Option 4 would be my first choice, followed by Option 3. I am wary of issues post warranty in electronics so simpler components like passive speakers or an Amplifier are preferred over AV receiver. I saw Polk give a 3 year warranty in India, if there are other companies like this for amplifiers & speakers, it would be great. For me, warranty and support would give precedence over sound which is 10-15% better. This is because I realized I cannot ever hear the frequencies my son can hear (used an app to test our hearing range) and each one in our family had different hearing ranges. This loss will only increase over time. Also, am a part time music listener and I do not think I can discern between two closely matched sounds.

My budget is around Rs.70k. Would love it if people here can educate me on the options and what is possible as a configuration.

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining.
All the best for your amp/speaker search. Enjoy the journey.

Hi

Am new here and am hoping to get some guidance on "What" to buy in terms of the overall system and then "what" to buy in terms of models

Had a music system years back and had stopped listening due to the time to get the entire thing playing. Was using a couple of Bluetooth speakers in the house before I heard music playing somewhere and realized how much I miss it. Planning to purchase a system where convenience is the first priority so that I get started again. The plan is:
1. Firing off music quickly is a priority. Video is also via streaming services currently. So the source of content will be primarily over Wifi. This will not change.
4. No floor standing speakers for sure. Infact, the ideal size needs to be less than 12" high and < 5" wide. Else I will need to move the TV which is not entirely practical in my current wall.
5. My room is L-shaped with an open kitchen making it U-shaped. The overall size including kitchen (where music listening is not important) becomes 450 sq. feet. The primary listening area will be the room which forms the base of a "U". This means there is very little running wall on one side of the entire room.

My plan is to use Fire Stick / Chromecast, plugged into the Sound system directly (so that music can be played without TV on). Need some guidance in setting up a system and how can it be setup.
Option 1: Use a Sound Bar with a Sub: Quick and Easy but it was hearing music over a 2.1 after a long time which reminded me of a new music setup in the first place. I liked the soundbars but speakers just sounded better.
Option 3: Use an integrated Amplifier instead of a receiver (if it has HDMI inputs for Fire TV/ Chromecast and output HDMI for TV) alongwith passive speakers. Are there Amplifiers like this available? If the Amplifier does not have HDMI, then I will be forced to switch on TV each time even for Audio only over Wifi.
Option 4: (Not sure if this option is possible. But theoretically it should work) - Use satellite speakers alongwith a good Sub and an Integrated Amplifier. Is such an option possible as this will work best for me considering the physical size restrictions I have for the speakers.

In terms of my choice, if it is possible, Option 4 would be my first choice, followed by Option 3. I am wary of issues post warranty in electronics so simpler components like passive speakers or an Amplifier are preferred over AV receiver. I saw Polk give a 3 year warranty in India, if there are other companies like this for amplifiers & speakers, it would be great. For me, warranty and support would give precedence over sound which is 10-15% better. This is because I realized I cannot ever hear the frequencies my son can hear (used an app to test our hearing range) and each one in our family had different hearing ranges. This loss will only increase over time. Also, am a part time music listener and I do not think I can discern between two closely matched sounds.

My budget is around Rs.70k. Would love it if people here can educate me on the options and what is possible as a configuration.

Sound bar - will be good for watching movies and watching TV , not for music. (Instead you may look for Bluetooth speakers like Harmon and kardon , JBL ..etc ..for me they sounded clean and nicely).

Since your point of interest is music , Go with stereo amplifier.. and Book shelve speakers.
Going with integrated amplifier will be better , but you need to stretch your budget more... (initialy you can go with stereo amplifier)

Integrated amplifiers mostly will have RCA inputs . I think you can still run RCA cables from your Fire Tv /Cromecast.

Look at these speakers & audition them.
Monitor audio
KEF
QAcoustics
Polk audio ..etc.

You can also look for powered speakers (no need of amplifier) - something like sonodyne SRP-800

Hi..
Good evening .

Since you are looking for sat+sub system. That completely rules out any 2 channel systems, including integrated amps. Just decide on your speakers first. Lots of options out there for a sat+sub combination. Then depending on what you choose for speakers, you can look for an AVR then..

Not to prod you in my direction. But when I started with my journey in this hobby...I was using a qacoutics q7000i system with a marantz SR6011. Was top class, for both movies as well as music. I have moved on from there. But will still give them a top recommendation any time. But might be difficult to fit all in for 70k.

If you absolutely shouldn't breach the budget limit of 70k. Then a sound bar with sub is great option. And I would recommend Yamaha DSP series At that. They are probably the best around in my opinion. And a lot of tech built in from Yamaha's vast experience in this field ..all the best

Hi

Hi

Welcome to HFV.

There are lots of threads and posts here uploaded by our Fellow Members (FMs) experienced through using various products and even professionally qualified.

See threads under What Should I buy.....etc

Option 1 will not satisfy the Music piece....

Option 2 is what most of us have.....AVR with speakers and powered subwoofer to handle the low frequencies below 80hz.....

Option 3 Integrated Amp works best....some of them have sub woofer out port.....no HDMI.....some have inbuilt DAC.....there would be coaxial or optical as input options on some brands and models........TV will have to be used.....

Option 4 is doable....you do get subs with high level connections which can be done.......

To get your mind started......and after evaluating all the requirements........see below

Get a Stereo Receiver........you may need to still use the TV.......else an alternate to stream.....

Then depending on budget....get one of these pair of speakers....

OR

The Dalis will give more punch when compared to the Polks A3......audition and decide....

Check which dealer will give the best prices along with warranty........

All the best!

Going with integrated amplifier will be better , but you need to stretch your budget more... (initialy you can go with stereo amplifier)
Thanks for your views. When you say "Stereo Amplifier" does it mean a receiver or an Amplifier which will need separates to build it out?
Integrated amplifiers mostly will have RCA inputs . I think you can still run RCA cables from your Fire Tv /Cromecast.
Will check possibility of using RCA cables from Fire TV/ Chromecast. It might need some converter but more importantly, it might imply passing video to TV directly and audio to Amplifier. Already sounds complex :)
You can also look for powered speakers (no need of amplifier) - something like sonodyne SRP-800
For powered speakers (only), the same issue of where to connect the source (Fire TV/ Chromecast) might arise. Not sure if speakers come with input options like HDMI.

Hi..
Good evening .

Since you are looking for sat+sub system. That completely rules out any 2 channel systems, including integrated amps. Just decide on your speakers first. Lots of options out there for a sat+sub combination. Then depending on what you choose for speakers, you can look for an AVR then..
I was wondering if I could do front satellites only with a Sub to keep it 2.1. Is that not possible?

Thanks for sharing your views

Option 3 Integrated Amp works best....some of them have sub woofer out port.....no HDMI.....some have inbuilt DAC.....there would be coaxial or optical as input options on some brands and models........TV will have to be used.....
Is it fair to assume that no amplifier sold in India will have HDMI ports?

Option 4 is doable....you do get subs with high level connections which can be done.......
Not sure I understood this. Does this mean I can create a 2.1 system easily using Satellites. Are there options here where I can pick Satellites which start creeping into BS territory.

Check which dealer will give the best prices along with warranty........
Do different dealers give different warranties or does it come with the product itself.? Am based out of Mumbai as well - other than ProFX, are there dealers where I might get to demo max options?
I have come across a company called SVS, seems a couple of their products have good i/o connections which might just do the trick. Did not find too many owners on this forum for this company. Any idea on the service levels provided by this company in Mumbai?

All the best!
Thank you. I intend to keep the journey short, hopefully time will be kind.

Last edited:
Do consider active speakers (with sub extension).
It is clean and fits the purpose/budget.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for your views. When you say "Stereo Amplifier" does it mean a receiver or an Amplifier which will need separates to build it out?
Stereo amplifier is like av recievier drives only two channels specifically designed for music listening...something like this one --> Yamaha stereo amplifier

Will check possibility of using RCA cables from Fire TV/ Chromecast. It might need some converter but more importantly, it might imply passing video to TV directly and audio to Amplifier. Already sounds complex :)
If You are using amazon firetv stick /google chromecast connected via Tv ?. Then you need to hook up with RCA cables via your TV to amplifiers.

These days androd / apple media boxes availabe where you can have prime video , other google video services installed where you can hook up diectly instead of from Tv.

All stereo /integrated/power amplifiers comes up with RCA / XLR inputs , no HDMI hook ups. There might be some stereo amplifiers which might be coming up with hdmi inputs.

Or you need to use the hdmi to stereo converters in this case.

Tripicaly A/v receivers are coming up with many inputs - but they are good for 5.1 setup , not great for music listening.

For powered speakers (only), the same issue of where to connect the source (Fire TV/ Chromecast) might arise. Not sure if speakers come with input options like HDMI.

Same , you need to hook up with RCA or XLR jack ports or converters. Advantage here is easy setup & good power.

As per the requirements he needs either a amplifier with HDMI i/p or at least with a optical in as the TVs nowadays do not have RCA outs anymore.
These rule out active speakers.
Further the requirement is that the amp have a subwoofer out. Further the requirements are speaker sizes be 12inches and width 5inches will severely restrict the choices as any good bookshelf will have a mid range driver around 5-6inches and adding the cabinet will further increase it by 1 inch.

So the better option is to use a good quality sound bar. Further if the size restrictions are stretchable then maybe we can revisit the speakers. satellites and sub is good for movies but not so good for music. Some soundbars have HDMI I/p & WIFI and the TV can be switched off for music listening. Seee listen and decide.

As per the requirements he needs either a amplifier with HDMI i/p or at least with a optical in as the TVs nowadays do not have RCA outs anymore.
Further the requirement is that the amp have a subwoofer out. Further the requirements are speaker sizes be 12inches and width 5inches will severely restrict the choices as any good bookshelf will have a mid range driver around 5-6inches and adding the cabinet will further increase it by 1 inch.

So the better option is to use a good quality sound bar. Further if the size restrictions are stretchable then maybe we can revisit the speakers. satellites and sub is good for movies but not so good for music. Some soundbars have HDMI I/p & WIFI and the TV can be switched off for music listening. Seee listen and decide.
There are actives that have OPT/COAX input and sub out.
Just got to find one in the budget.

Cheers,
Raghu

Soundbar will simplify the setup but will not match the quality of good stereo setup with Stereo or integrated amplifier.

@Orez : Its up to you .. If you are happy with Sound bar , then go ahead... ,
KEF , Polk , Denon, kilpsch all have sound bars. Audition as much as possible and decide...

Do consider active speakers (with sub extension).
The only issue here would be that I would be forced to switch on the TV to listen to music via Wifi which is my primary source. Unless I am mistaken here and the TV can pass through audio in standby mode.
@raghupb @edjamesx Both of you mentioned actives. Assuming I am fine with the TV being on all the time even for music, are there any recommendations so that I have a starting point. I can always think of a sub for later to accommodate speakers in my budget.

On a separate note, is a satellite + sub in a 2.1 (or 3.1?) format really not an option for music? I was wondering if some Satellites come with large drivers and then sub levels could be adjusted based on what is being played- audio / video.

So the better option is to use a good quality sound bar.
Soundbar is the last option if I do not get the time to audition the speakers. Fairly convenient and like you said, can keep the TV off even for audio only

Further if the size restrictions are stretchable then maybe we can revisit the speakers. satellites and sub is good for movies but not so good for music.
I was wondering if satellites + sub in a 2.1/ 3.1 format are a good option over soundbars for audio. One could always subdue the sub in vocal heavy songs. If this is not possible, then might have to move the TV which I am hesitant simple because it is at a sitting level at which I am comfortable viewing. The console below the TV cannot be moved downwards because of plugpoint etc. However will go this route if there is absolutely no option possible (excluding the soundbar option).

Soundbar is the last option if I do not get the time to audition the speakers. Fairly convenient and like you said, can keep the TV off even for audio only

I was wondering if satellites + sub in a 2.1/ 3.1 format are a good option over soundbars for audio. One could always subdue the sub in vocal heavy songs. If this is not possible, then might have to move the TV which I am hesitant simple because it is at a sitting level at which I am comfortable viewing. The console below the TV cannot be moved downwards because of plugpoint etc. However will go this route if there is absolutely no option possible (excluding the soundbar option).

Well in my experience for music it is better to go for good quality bookshelves rather than satellites otherwise I would still say go with a good soundbar as for the music quality please listen to the good ones before taking the plunge.

@raghupb @edjamesx Both of you mentioned actives. Assuming I am fine with the TV being on all the time even for music, are there any recommendations so that I have a starting point. I can always think of a sub for later to accommodate speakers in my budget.
On a separate note, is a satellite + sub in a 2.1 (or 3.1?) format really not an option for music? I was wondering if some Satellites come with large drivers and then sub levels could be adjusted based on what is being played- audio / video.
As i mentioned above sonodyne SRP-800 is one of the option
Monitor audio , KEF , Kilpsch ,Polk will have some powered speaker models. You can look for them...

Satellite + sub will not be good option for music , Comparing with bookshelves. Satellites+sub will be ok for movies...

Try Auditioning one by one then you can get good idea..

The only issue here would be that I would be forced to switch on the TV to listen to music via Wifi which is my primary source. Unless I am mistaken here and the TV can pass through audio in standby mode.
I dont think TV can pass through audio in stand by mode .... Optionaly you can switch of your display , based on some Tv allows to do.

Have started looking around at options based on my requirements.

Initial few findings which might be relevant for people newly setting up systems (For experts, the points below may not be relevant):
1. As stated in my original post, my hearing levels are different from my son's levels. There is a significant hearing loss as compared to him when we were comparing our ability to listen. (So without getting too technical of the frequency level where this loss happens and this not impacting other frequencies) What we hear as an overall sound in a song will be significantly different between people. So without getting biased by brands, sales, price points, reviews etc. just look for what you like to hear.
2. Select a song which you know very well for auditioning. This will help you differentiate between sounds more easily.
3. If the source is common, again comparison is easier. People seem to take their CDs. I do not have those anymore so for me the commonality was songs in my phone and streaming services.
4. True magic is in the source. We were listening to a song over Bluetooth and then we heard the same song in Tidal. Both my wife and me went "what is that" at the same time. However, for other songs, this difference was not very apparent in Wifi vs Bluetooth. We later realized that the difference was that Tidal was playing a hi-res song the 1st time and normal res for the other songs.
5. There is no comparison between a sound bar with Woofer and Stereo 2.0 for music. A Sound bar sounds impressive till you hear the same in a stereo and realize the difference between loud noise and simple sound. The difference is like night and day between an expensive soundbar vs even a stereo half its price.
6. There is no point comparing two systems heard across two different shops. Forget the acoustics, things like friendly sales man, ambience etc. can influence the "experience". When this gets coupled with different settings on amplifiers, it gets even worse.
7. No point in looking at specs and using it to create "knowledge" about a system. So do not extract specs like frequency range, driver size etc. about a speaker to determine its sound.
8. I had started getting a strong suspicion that amplifiers have less a role to play than the speakers. To rephrase, they have a significantly lesser role than what I interpreted in the forum. In the small rooms while doing demos, at low levels, there was no audible difference between two amplifiers that I heard for the same songs and speakers. Most if not all of my listening will be at low levels.
9. To avoid a never-ending quest for casual listeners, I do not think there is a clear "best" at any price point. What we should be looking for is "good enough" at our budget.
10. What sounds at demo rooms is going to be significantly different in our houses. I demoed same setups in different shops. So no point it making it a complicated exercise.
11. Not to get carried away by reviews on Internet. The goal is to find a personal sound which we like in the budget we can afford.
The reason why I am not following point (9.) above (can easily buy a system now without auditioning the rest I have planned) is that I am curious about the aesthetics, the dimensions and the price points :)

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back