H.264 encoding/recoding

Dear Sam,
The video bit rate is 1248 kbps, audio sampling, 44,100 khz, stereo and 128 kbps bit rate. As you mentioned the GPU may not come into the picture for encoding. However I want to use the same machine for a HTPC also. This is not a must as I have WD TV Live media player and I am transferring all the movie files onto a HDD and viewing them thru that.

As I said, I encoded couple of vob files and the resulting 250 mb .mp4 file was very good when played thru the media player on a 42" LG LCD.

Can you suggest a combination of CPU, MB combination which is VFM for ripping mp4 files using Super.

Thanks

Dear Sam,
The video bit rate is 1248 kbps, audio sampling, 44,100 khz, stereo and 128 kbps bit rate. As you mentioned the GPU may not come into the picture for encoding. However I want to use the same machine for a HTPC also. This is not a must as I have WD TV Live media player and I am transferring all the movie files onto a HDD and viewing them thru that.

As I said, I encoded couple of vob files and the resulting 250 mb .mp4 file was very good when played thru the media player on a 42" LG LCD.

Can you suggest a combination of CPU, MB combination which is VFM for ripping mp4 files using Super.

Thanks

Video bitrate is just ok (for a 42"), but I would still suggest, atleast 2-3mbps (for a decent color and blacks on a 42" LCD). But your Audio bitrate is pure crap ..... why would you encode a BR to 2 channel stereo sound. You would not enjoy the movie on your HT at all. Even if you do not have an HT and watch the movie on a stereo setup you should still encode it with multichannel sound, coz at any time later if you do decide to invest in even a low end HT, your movie atleast would have proper multichannel sound .......
For audio I would suggest to keep min AC3 448kbps bitrate, with 48Khz sampling rate

For your PC, you have to go for a complete overhaul, but not to worry, computer hardware has gone so low in prices that even a decently powerfull PC seems to be lowend when compared to the latest offerings, just because of the price difference ......

If you are on a serious budget I would suggest an AMD based PC ..... The cheapest best bet would be AMD Athalon II X2 240 2.5 ghz, with Tran scent 2GB 800Mhz RAM (4 would be better for future as well), A gigabyte board for the AMD processor and if you want to change the GPU you can opt for Radion HD 5 Series.

All this should come under 10-12K maybe even less.

Lastly for HD ripping and encoding I would suggest to drop MP4 container and opt for MKV, there are loads of advantages of MKV over othesr for HD ripping ......

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back