H/M/L frequencies and Human being

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

I am sharing this as it occurs to me. There could be some gaps.

Music is composed of lows, mids and highs. While the emphasis changes from genre to genre (for eg old Hindi film music emphasised on mids, rap/dub step emphasise bass and psychedelic music emphasises on highs. This also changes from artist to artist within a genre. Many try to achieve a balance across the range.

No. this wasn’t my thought, just the background. What I feel is that each of these frequency bands appeal to different parts of our being. Let’s first look at bass. We don’t hear bass as much as we ‘feel’ it. And what do we feel it with? With our physical body a especially the gut. That’s one reason why many don’t enjoy listening through headphones - they can’t feel the bass in their body. Bass is an important contributor to making a music ‘embodied’ when we listen to it.

Let’s come to the mids. This is largely where the human voice lies (including in the upper bass and lower highs). As well as the instruments that mimic human voice (like violin, guitar, sarangi, flute etc). Yes, some of these instruments can go deeper or higher, but major part of their sound is in the mids. What do the mids contain? Most of the sur and bhaav in the music. Especially the bhaav - emotion. And the mids appeal straight to the heart - the seat of emotion in the human being. Now, is this the physical organ? I don’t know. But one is referring to the emotional center. And one feels emotions somewhere in the thoracic region.

And then the highs. The cymbals and the percussions play a role here in brightening up the music - creating a sense of energy in it. Even in terms of height for a well positioned speaker, the highs hit us at the head or above it. In short, they work with the brain (and therefore impacting the nervous system) - the seat of logic and intuition. Also no wonder then that psychedelic music induces trance.

If you follow the ancient Chakra system, one may say the bass hits the lower chakras (navel, genital and anal), the mids hit the central chakra (heart, with some spill off onto throat and navel regions) and treble/highs the upper chakras (throat, forehead and top of head). Others can ignore this or just understand that chakras correspond to major plexuses or networks of vessels and nerves in human body. The activation of these plexuses is a prime focus of most tantra practices. (Music, by the way, is also tantra)

The correlation can be thus summarised as follows:

Highs -> Brain/Head -> Logic/Intuition
Mids -> Heart/Chest -> Feelings/Emotion
Lows -> Stomach/Gut -> Strength/Vitality

As you can see, how a balance between the three faculties in the last column is essential for a well-functioning person. That also underscores the value of balanced music for us.

Do share your thoughts on this. Let’s feel free to differ, but respectfully, without being disparaging. Thanks.

Disclaimer: These are just my ideas and reflections and not a claim of objective truth. Please don’t ask for any proofs, I can’t substantiate. Do correlate with your own experience and reflection on the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic. Here are my 2 cents.

Before the advent of boomboxes and later the headphones on a wide scale which offered a wider bandwidth of music to the ears, the average Indian household was exposed to average single speaker radios.
Some of the best Indian music was churned during this period, and that was mostly based more on melody.
95% of this music was in the 250 to 8 khz bandwidth which was reasonably reproduced by an even average speaker.

The main section of the music gives the 'melody', the lows the 'balance and weight' and the highs the 'flight and airiness'.

Interesting, go through this video by Kersi Lord who was a very famous musician and arranger of golden bollywood era. Around 50:40 he gives some insights to how the final mix used to sound depending on the music director's or recorders personal choice and also with the kind of speakers and system available to public then and also how recordings changed with time. He gives an example of Nushad who used to give more stress to little loud vocals and less to back ground music thinking that singer is most important for anyone listening to the song.

So basically i think it depends on individual listening to the music as to which frequencies affects which part of his senses it may not be possible to do a generalization.

@SachinChavan: Yours is an interesting and unique viewpoint, one that considers the whole body response!

From my limited reading on this subject, the focus of western studies on impact of music, predominantly starts and ends with the brain. There the argument is: we know intuitively as to what music is good for a particular mood. No one needs to let us know, we will choose accordingly that music which improves the chemical response in the brain and improve our condition. Consider it as an evolutionary hack.
So, if we are in a sad mood (or worse still, clinically depressed), a sad song/playlist will make the connection to what the artist is trying to convey, more stronger (vice versa for Happy mood). We choose that instinctively and the audio information (pitch, rhythm, timbre, loudness) from that music goes in through the ear to auditory cortex, which further results in a production of dopamine, prolactin and a reduction of cortisol (stress hormone), which results in us repeating this activity in the future as well. This leads to an individual who functions in a balanced manner.

Interesting topic. Here are my 2 cents.

Before the advent of boomboxes and later the headphones on a wide scale which offered a wider bandwidth of music to the ears, the average Indian household was exposed to average single speaker radios.
Some of the best Indian music was churned during this period, and that was mostly based more on melody.
95% of this music was in the 250 to 8 khz bandwidth which was reasonably reproduced by an even average speaker.

The main section of the music gives the 'melody', the lows the 'balance and weight' and the highs the 'flight and airiness'.

This is true, in the video posted earlier Kersi Lord says that music used to be recorded on some sound camera which had limitation everything needed to be filtered except 800 - 4/5 khz range

Guys, yes. It’s possible that the recording limitations of those days made the music directors focus on mids/vocals. And that could have also led to development of great singers who could emote very well as the song was entirely dependent on them without possibilities of augmentation by highs and lows.

But I don’t see how that contradicts what I wrote in my post. If at all, it supports as I have already said that old Hindi songs being vocal heavy touched the emotional center more than most other types of music.

Guys, yes. It’s possible that the recording limitations of those days made the music directors focus on mids/vocals. And that could have also led to development of great singers who could emote very well as the song was entirely dependent on them without possibilities of augmentation by highs and lows.

But I don’t see how that contradicts what I wrote in my post. If at all, it supports as I have already said that old Hindi songs being vocal heavy touched the emotional center more than most other types of music.

As per me its not entirely contradicting but we cannot generalise and say that there was no energy (bass) and strength (treble) in those old poorly recorded songs. Listen to hum the wo thi aur sama rangeen samajh gye naa, or jaan pehchaan ho, is it without energy and only emotion? I mean there are innumerable songs like these. That would just mean that old songs were less enjoyable than current ones with good recordings.

Human mind is very strange and does make up or we can say fill in the blanks very cleverly. If you listen to that video, Kersi says that as part of our hearing, when we hear a balanced sound (all frequencies flat), our brain tends to focus more on vocals and mids and tend to ignore bass and treble so that vocals seem to stand out particularly when volume is low. This tendency is natural. Its not because of his belief but my personal view is also that mids are everything you have in music, you can live without bass and treble, but not without mids. All music lies in there.

As per me its not entirely contradicting but we cannot generalise and say that there was no energy (bass) and strength (treble) in those old poorly recorded songs. Listen to hum the wo thi aur sama rangeen samajh gye naa, or jaan pehchaan ho, is it without energy and only emotion? I mean there are innumerable songs like these. That would just mean that old songs were less enjoyable than current ones with good recordings.

Human mind is very strange and does make up or we can say fill in the blanks very cleverly. If you listen to that video, Kersi says that as part of our hearing, when we hear a balanced sound (all frequencies flat), our brain tends to focus more on vocals and mids and tend to ignore bass and treble so that vocals seem to stand out particularly when volume is low. This tendency is natural. Its not because of his belief but my personal view is also that mids are everything you have in music, you can live without bass and treble, but not without mids. All music lies in there.

We aren’t saying entirely different things. It’s just how we are interpreting them. Even if Mr Lord didn’t say it, we all know that human mind is steeped in mids because that’s where human voice lies. And yes, we fill in the blanks. But when there aren’t any blanks, it has a different impact. Firstly, the brain doesn’t have to overwork filling in. Secondly, no amount of imaginative filling in can substitute the visceral feeling real bass produces.

I never said old Hindi songs aren’t ‘enjoyable’. I listen to and enjoy them right from the days of RC Boral and Pankaj Mullick. But the reason for enjoying them isn’t the visceral energy mentioned above, but their melodious and emotionally rich vocals.

I think you’ve missed the central aspect of my post. Your points, though they are valId on their own, aren’t helping take the discussion on the subject forward. @sandeepss, on the other hand, got it exactly and provided a valuable alternate view.

Last edited by a moderator:
We aren’t saying entirely different things. It’s just how we are interpreting them. Even if Mr Lord didn’t say it, we all know that human mind is steeped in mids because that’s where human voice lies. And yes, we fill in the blanks. But when there aren’t any blanks, it has a different impact. Firstly, the brain doesn’t have to overwork filling in. Secondly, no amount of imaginative filling in can substitute the visceral feeling real bass produces.

I never said old Hindi songs aren’t ‘enjoyable’. I listen to and enjoy them right from the days of RC Boral and Pankaj Mullick. But the reason for enjoying them isn’t the visceral energy mentioned above, but their melodious and emotionally rich vocals.

I think you’ve missed the central aspect of my post. Your points, though they are valI’d, are t helping me take the discussion on the subject forward. @sandeepss, on the other hand, got it exactly and provided a valuable alternate view.

Sorry but i again digress from your point. I dont agree bass creates a feeling like you mentioned. Personally bass is the last thing i care about. On the contrary my theory is that one of the reason we enjoy old music more because it had less of a distractions called bass and treble for the mind so it makes a more soothing and soulful experience, the melody you say is a child of that. Anyways my thoughts are not helping your discussion so i will refrain from contaminating the thread. Enjoy.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back