• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Handmade high-end LAN cable

Wharfedale EVO4.4 Speaker

johnmicheal

I have build this LAN cable 1,5meter length

AudioQuest Carbon RJ/E Cat 7 5% Silver conductors

TELEGARTNER MFP8 CAT.8.1 T568B High-End Ethernet RJ45 Cat 8.1 Metal - highest quality available currently

Final touch with ABS expandable sleeving and AUDIOPHONICS Heat-shrink tubing for direction

All these items purchased from Europe

This cost me around Euro 200

Even Audioquest Vodka and Diamond don't use Telegartner top of line connector.

LAN cable changes sound quality specially Roon +Tidal setup. There was a great improvement in sound quality over the stock cable.

Attachments

Passive_audio_enthusiast

Not sure how but keep in mind though that in 0 and 1, 1 is indicated by electrical voltage.
So, the if voltage is below a certain threshold a 1 transmitted at the source would be received as a 0? Normally there should be error checking mechasims built into digital transmission systems to see what is transmitted is accurately receieved. Or its not the same ? Other wise the whole digital transmission idea itself is flawed.

bornfi

So, the if voltage is below a certain threshold a 1 transmitted at the source would be received as a 0? Normally there should be error checking mechasims built into digital transmission systems to see what is transmitted is accurately receieved. Or its not the same ? Other wise the whole digital transmission idea itself is flawed.
The problem is cable, that together with carrying you 0 and 1s, can carry some impurities too (EMI/RFI). These special cable manufacturers try to minimize this phenomena. A very simple analogy will be - when you open door for guests, together with guests, some mosquitoes too fly in and become nuisance later on.

I too had similar kind of opinion as yours a few years ago but things are different now.

Passive_audio_enthusiast

The problem is cable, that together with carrying you 0 and 1s, can carry some impurities too (EMI/RFI). These special cable manufacturers try to minimize this phenomena. A very simple analogy will be - when you open door for guests, together with guests, some mosquitoes too fly in and become nuisance later on.

I too had similar kind of opinion as yours a few years ago but things are different now.
That analogy has nothing to do with audio. If the dac has good mechanism to isolate emi, then the cable wont make a difference . I had some issues with chord mojo and that was some static noise along with the sound with a bad cable. But after i bought a audioquest cinnamon (after readig reviews) the static went away, but literally the sound was same except the noise was absent. But on my old cable the static wasnt always there
So at an instance when the static noise is not there, they were virtually identical.

One thing i noticed was a slight increase in loudness somehow with one of the cable at rhe same level. But on a level match they are still identical.

Edit:
Actually your analogy is not bad. you could just install a mosquito net on the door to keep them away.

Last edited by a moderator:

prateekatasniya

That analogy has nothing to do with audio. If the dac has good mechanism to isolate emi, then the cable wont make a difference . I had some issues with chord mojo and that was some static noise along with the sound with a bad cable. But after i bought a audioquest cinnamon (after readig reviews) the static went away, but literally the sound was same except the noise was absent. But on my old cable the static wasnt always there
So at an instance when the static noise is not there, they were virtually identical.

One thing i noticed was a slight increase in loudness somehow with one of the cable at rhe same level. But on a level match they are still identical.
I think this means good cable will reduce noise..
Noise reduction will make the apparent volume louder.

amit11

I have not tried Ethernet and audio quality corelation, and yes it is hard to believe that network cables can matter. however as i read articles about it, i feel i am kind of slowly believing it.

anything connected physically has a effect on one another. if it was wifi instead of ethernet wire, then such differences would not be there. reason is galvanic isolation. read somewhere that even though Ethernet has galvanic isolation by design, it is not 100% immune to it. so there is a impact may be at micro voltage / micro current level and that creeps at the receiving end. and that changes the final sound.

Passive_audio_enthusiast

I think this means good cable will reduce noise..
Noise reduction will make the apparent volume louder.
And loud is perceived as more clear ..;) or not? .. actually now i am having second thoughts!! I wish i had not sold the mojo and the cable .. serioulsly want to try this once again although back then i was convinced that on same loudness level i couldnt make out the difference between the cables.

prateekatasniya

And loud is perceived as more clear ..;) or not? .. actually now i am having second thoughts!! I wish i had not sold the mojo and the cable .. serioulsly want to try this once again although back then i was convinced that on same loudness level i couldnt make out the difference between the cables.
More clear can be perceived as more louder..
As noise has masking effect..

I'm not sure about this though..
Don't have much cable related experience.

johnmicheal

Cables are beyond technical logic, your ears are the best friend to judge.

Almost all big brands making LAN cable and USB cable. These are available from $50 - $5000 price range.

My intension was to start this post, LAN cable can be made easily at home, no soldering required and a big amount of money can be saved.