Harbeth SHL5

Ah,, The Post has been refreshed almost after 4 Years :) Great gears to have in the Chain.

Macintosh +Harbeth - This is in my hit list.

But Speakers are very Close-by , Please leave them some space to Breath.SO they could give more cool Music

Yes..... refresh... Harbeth SHL5, McIntosh MA6900 and, Oppo 105D/ 4 TB DSD, DSF, FLAC, WAV....:eek:hyeah: From Focal 836W/ Primare I30 (home theater, now)...... But moving to South Korea..... more room over there.....

Attachments

• DSC00103.jpg
    DSC00103.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Like the british-made bass trap in the front of the electronics :D

IIRC, saw this pic on the FB Harbeth page as well...cool setup!

Bellofelix , There is a Spelling Mistake - Hope its Not Conference Room But Concert Room

Thanks.... for the Correction.... ;) I will post new pictures, later from Korea....

Like the british-made bass trap in the front of the electronics :D IIRC, saw this pic on the FB Harbeth page as well...cool setup!

Yes, You are correct (FB).... experimenting.... and keep the old man busy here in Montreal... it's free... before I ended with the skylan stands... ;)

Bellofelix , There is a Spelling Mistake - Hope its Not Conference Room But Concert Room

Here is the my living room... Gumi, South Korea... my second home.... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6853__1442164599_74.15.116.32.jpg
    IMG_6853__1442164599_74.15.116.32.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6857__1442164363_74.15.116.32.jpg
    IMG_6857__1442164363_74.15.116.32.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6865__1442164441_74.15.116.32.jpg
    IMG_6865__1442164441_74.15.116.32.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 125
Gentlepeople,

Does anyone have the latest on availability of Harbeths in India (Mumbai??) and the price point? Current issue of What Hifi India mentions them being ''launched", HL5+ by the looks of it, but no details of price nor dealer as far as I could see. I'm facing a slightly sub-optimal situation with my current setup and the names I bump into again and again in my research are Harbeth, ATC, and Proac.

I intend to team them with Naim SuperUniti and a spare NAP140 should bi-amping give good results. May try and pick up a used NAP200 or 250 as the SuperUniti amp section outshines the older 140.

Currently I'm using them with the marvellous Totem Model One Signature + Totem Storm Sub. Unfortunately the Model One's breathtaking, head turning, soundstage loses it's edge the moment the Sub joins the fray, and the difference is again obvious when the Sub is left out. In all fairness I have got it to behave much better after bi-amping and tweaking (position and gain etc.). Actually it amounts to tri-amping as I'm using the Storms '300W' inbuilt amp via low level input from the sub out of the SuperUniti - the SuperUniti amp section to drive the woofer/mid - and the NAP140 to drive the tweeters. I do not know how Totem watts stack up against Naim's conservative watts! I also feel the SuperUniti despite having the power/grunt factor, definitely struggles to drive the diminutive Totems which are known to be difficult to drive. While this setup has become far more listenable after getting the NAP140 serviced and recapped, it requires constant tweaking of the damn triumvirate of knobs at the rear of the Sub (gain, phase, crossover - am not used to having many controls, being a long time Naim user). The gain on the Sub, if it is to be listenable, tends to be just enough to wake it up, around the 8 o'clock position if zero were 7 o'clock. What happens is, that the controls need adjusting depending on the type of music and the volume.

Maximum usage is for Rock and it's ilk, though I do listen to classical and jazz about 30% of the time.

Some will say I need not change a thing, probably a 50% improvement still achievable through room tweaks etc. Comments and advice welcome, coincidentally I'm surprised and glad this thread, which I first saw a few weeks ago, has resurrected.

skipper.

Me too.
An all-in-one room for entertainment! Whenever like to watch TV sit on one side of the sofa-set, else, change sitting position for only music. Great never-thought-of idea, I must say.

I spent about 20-30 minutes listening to the Shl5 plus at the recently concluded Bangalore What Hifi show. To my ears I felt that the plus was better than the shl5, specifically in the midrange. Show conditions notwithstanding, along with an unfamiliar room and electronics, I heard more control, better resolution and better overall musicality. I must say that Shl5 plus is a much improved speaker. I heard there is an upgrade option available for current Shl5 owners (not sure though).
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back