Harbeths in 2013 Stereophile Recommend Loudspeakers

Absolute Phase

We at Absolute Phase are happy to announce that Harbeth Loudspeakers are in the Class A & Class B - (Restricted LF) of 2013 Stereophile Recommend Loudspeakers.:clapping:

Stereophile: Editor's Note: Class A "Loudspeakers" are sufficiently idiosyncratic and differ enough from one another that prospective customers should read Stereophile's original reviews in their entirety for descriptions of the sounds. I have therefore just listed every system or combination that at least one of Stereophile's reviewers feels, as a result of his or her experience, approaches the current state of the art in loudspeaker design. (Note that, to be eligible for inclusion in Class A, the system must be full-rangeie, feature bass extension to 20Hz. It must also be capable of reaching realistic sound-pressure levels without any feeling of strain.)

For those unconcerned about the last few hertz of low-bass extension, we have created "Classes A, B, and C (Restricted Extreme LF)" for those speakers that are state of the art in every other way. Candidates for inclusion in this class must still reach down to at least 40Hz, below the lowest notes of the four-string double-bass and bass guitar.

Class AFull-Range

1. Harbeth Monitor 30.1: $5990$6790/pair, depending on finish (stands necessary)

The Monitor 30.1 is a two-way, front-ported design with a 1" soft-dome SEAS tweeter and Harbeth's 7.8" Radial2 mid/woofer. Fit and finish were superb. Though too demanding a load for ST's 3.5Wpc Sun Audio SV2A3 amplifier, the Monitor 30.1 produced "ravishing" midrange texture, tonality, and resolution when partnered with higher-powered solid-state amplification. Compared to the Triangle Comete Anniversaire, the Harbeth sacrificed speed and agility for richness and warmth. "If you"re into classical and jazz, there is no other loudspeaker I can recommend so highly for $6500/pair," concluded Sam. Standard finish is Cherry. Add $500/pair for Eucalyptus or Rosewood finishes. Add $800/pair for Tiger Ebony finish. (Vol.35 Nos.11 & 12)

Class B (Restricted LF)

2. Harbeth C7ES-3: $3690/pair (stands necessary) ?

Bigger than a minimonitor but smaller than a floorstander, the third iteration of the C7 is 20.3" H by 10.6" W by 12.3" D. It uses the traditional BBC-style thin-walled cabinet, and is tuned to deliver a rich, full-bodied sound at the lowest frequencies. Refinements over previous Compact models include improved cabinet wall damping and a completely redesigned crossover. With "phenomenally precise" focusing and "crazy" imaging, the Compact 7 was "one of the most musically satisfying loudspeakers" in ST's experience. "A treat for sore ears and one of Sam's favorite speakers ever," he tells us. "Damn those audiophiles. This Harbeth is for music lovers!" "Something of a spiritual bond can arise between a Harbeth owner and the Harbeth owned," claimed Sam. He should know; he bought a pair of C7ES-3s. "The classic BBC sound." Add $300/pair for Rosewood and Eucalyptus finishes. Add $400/pair for Tiger Ebony finish. (Vol.30 No.6, Vol.31 No.6, Vol.32 No.4)

Harbeth P3ESR: $2090/pair (stands necessary)
The two-way, sealed-cabinet P3ESR stands just 12" tall and partners a 0.75" tweeter with a 5" woofer, the latter using Harbeth's proprietary, patented Radial2 material for improved clarity and low-level resolution. Though restricted in loudness and bass extension, the P3ESR had a slightly warm overall balance characterized by smooth highs, an uncolored midrange, and stable and accurate stereo imaging. "The Harbeth P3ESR is the best iteration yet from any manufacturer of the BBC LS3/5A minimonitor concept," concluded JA. Further evaluation by JA confirmed this speaker's uncolored midrange, smooth highs, well-defined if somewhat lightweight lows, and coherent overall sound, even when driven to high levels. The littlest Harbeth also gets the strongest recommendation from JM. While its lack of low and midbass disqualified it for most rock and large-scale orchestral performances, felt BD, the Harbeth's incredible midrange clarity and detail made it an outstanding choice for small, intimate works. Rosewood, Black Ash, and Eucalyptus finishes add $100/pair. (Vol.33 Nos.8 & 10, Vol.34 No.7 Read Review Online)

We at Absolute Phase have on demo the P3ESR SE, C7ES-3 & SUPER HL5 35th Anniversary edition loudspeakers on demo. Shortly the Monitor 30.1 will also be on demo.
:D
All demos are via prior appointment only.

Last edited:
Prithvi. Would love to hear the 30.1 (especially in my system :) but I know that's difficult). Please do let me know when they come in. By the way, is there a link to the full list of Stereophile recommended components for 2013 please?

Good to see the lists are getting very long and more inclusive. However the proof of the pudding is all in the system matching methinks....
Some of those power amps look awesome, with prices to match of course.

Good to see the lists are getting very long and more inclusive. However the proof of the pudding is all in the system matching methinks....
Some of those power amps look awesome, with prices to match of course.

Totally agree with you! As soon as I get the M30.1 I will post it on the forum. In the meantime you are most welcome to fix a demo appointment and come to listen the the P3ESR SE, C7ES-3 & SHL5 35th Anniversary speakers which are on demo.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back