Harbeth's new Super HL5 Plus Loudspeaker on Demo at Absolute Phase

Absolute Phase

We are glad to let you know that we at Absolute Phase have received the new loudspeaker from Harbeth.

Harbeths Latest Masterpiece is the Super HL5 Plus.

Hi Fi Blog - Harbeth Super HL5 Plus Review 2014

A sonic "Tardis" that fills the room space completely... the definitive Hi-fi speaker for the 21st Century. If it were a Michelin Chef, it would be given a 5 stars and a Rosette!
Robert Edwards, TV Sound Director

Harbeth's Super HL5plus produces breathtaking transparency, a huge soundstage and total immersion in the performance. This speaker creates a rich bass and sweet midrange that brings acoustic music alive.

This is the latest generation of Dudley Harwood's original HL-Monitor: the cabinet is still engineered in the BBC tradition of removable 'thin-wall' panels for a totally true-to-life sound.

Retaining the classic 'two cubic foot' proportions found in the very best BBC monitors, the HL5plus relies on the exclusive Harbeth-made 200mm RADIAL2 bass/mid driver. This produces a big, warm and powerful sound that underpins the incredible midband clarity.

The 25mm main tweeter is augmented by a 20mm SuperTweeter for an extended and even dispersion to the upper edge of the audio band.

All demos are via prior appointment, please call on 9844094669 for a demo appointment.

Also on demo is the Harbeth P3ESR SE, C7 & the M30.1.

Last edited:
Had the pleasure of listening to these beauties a few days back. Added the speaker to the rarified group of highly refined loudspeakers which have the capability of keeping you awake till the wee hours of the morning listening to music. Story short, I went for a quick listen but it ended up spending about 5 hours !

Guys, to be honest, harbeth is one brand I have relatively less experience with..compact 7 is the only model that I have heard a few times..that too for short periods of time. The recent experience is the longest and the first experience with larger models and I really liked them for what they do..a good place to understand the models would be the harbeth user group forum.

On a related note, since I got some PMs, harbeths and blumenhofers have some similarities ( harmonics and tone) although they differ in their dispersion characteristics..

Last edited:
Heard the 30.1s yesterday. A comparison with SHL5 would not be realistic because the room and electronics were different this time.

One thing that stood out was the lack of jump factor which is usually added by most speakers across the freq band. Like the excessive sugar or masala which masks the flavour of the actual ingredients in badly made food.
The 30.1 sound balanced across the band. Nothing stood out. No artificial edge or a mid-bass humpNo sir !!! If one is the market for a speakers which makes all recordings sound a little similar and exciting, shop elsewhere!!
This lack of coloration made sure that music at the venue was reproduced as isall colors and nuances in the recording is intact.

Another very important result of this kind of presentation is the startling dynamics in the music because there is never any colour or distortion always riding on the back of the notes. And they do this with zero listening fatigue. No mean feat indeed.This quality is the hallmark of a great studio monitor. The speaker surely harks back to it studio heritage.

A must listen for people who are done with the bells and whilstles..

Hi Rahul,

That is a tough call. One needs to listen and take a call with ones music.
Also I have never heard both speakers in the same environment with the same music so any comments from me would be misleading.

My personal preference is the 30.1.

Thanks..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back