Hard disk prices coming down?

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

Well we all know that last year around Diwali there were floods in Bangkok which escalated the prices of hard disks by about 100%.

The prices were supposed to be stable by march but there have been no decrease as yet.

I had to buy 1 tb hard drive and thought of waiting since there was no urgent need. Finally yesterday I went to enquire about the prices assuming that they would remain stable for quite some time now.

However met a known dealer by chance who suggested to wait for about a month as there are chances of hard drive prices coming down by half. I have decided to wait as there is no urgent hurry.

But does anyone else have any idea when the prices should be expected to come back to normal?

Regards

I hope the prices come down! Been looking at buying one for my dad, but the crazy prices have kept me off.

Yes. I have heard this too. Luckily had bought few hdds before the price rise.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

US prices have come down. A 2TB WD Green is $120 on Amazon. So hopefully we may see ours dropping soon. I am also waiting to see the positive sign.

Even i am also sailing in same boat , waiting for the price down . Hope it's come down as soon . .

I was in the similar situation that the op is currently.
But finally bought a 1 TB External HDD of WD. I heard mostly it's not decrease that much and even if it does it maybe somewhere end of the year and the decrease may not be as much as how it was before the price increase.
Also I saw a similar thread in TDF so considered the replies from that thread to make my decision.

Last edited:
I am also looking for these prices to come down. 1 more to be joined.
Luckily last year, I bought a WD 2.5TB for $90. Now feeling lucky as it is $178 in amazon.

From the prices I saw in Chennai last week they already seem to have come down compared to the beginning of the year. A flyer said 2TB 4,300/- ,1TB 2,700/- and 500GB 1,900/- ( all SATA HDD ). Certainly looks lower than what I saw in Jan 2012.

as i stated earlier.. the prices in india will fall back in around 40 days completely.
that is end of may and around.
i do not have any concrete info on this but a general update from multiple pc dealers who i know from quite some time.

From the prices I saw in Chennai last week they already seem to have come down compared to the beginning of the year. A flyer said 2TB 4,300/- ,1TB 2,700/- and 500GB 1,900/- ( all SATA HDD ). Certainly looks lower than what I saw in Jan 2012.

Hi,

Are these prices of external models?

N.Murali

desktop internal hdd :

80 GB Sgt: 1600 ( 1Yr ) Seagate (1Yr) WD (2Yr)
160 GB Sgt : 2200 (1Yr) - 3250 (1yr)
250 GB - 3800 3800
500 GB - 4075 4100
1 TB ( 6 GB/s) - 5400 5350
2.0 TB ( 6 GB/s) - 6950 7150 -

Laptop HDD (ALL ONE YEAR WTY)

160 GB - - -
250 GB 3300 Hitachi: 3450 -
320 GB 3600 - -
500 GB 4500 4450 -

hdd external powered :

Brand Seagate Seagate Seagate Seagate Seagate WD WD
Type FreeAgent Desk FA Desk FA Desk Expansion Expansion Element My Book
Capacity USB 2.0 F/W 800 USB 3.0 USB 2.0 USB 3.0 USB 2.0 USB 3.0
1 TB 5450 - - - - - -
2 TB 7600 9900 7700 - 6975 - -
3 TB - - - 9300 - - -

these are the current market prices.

these prices are closest to the actual prices before flood.
please re-check if genuine ;members can be benefitted.

This is impossible. Please check price again

2 TB Seagate / WD External easily available in Lamingtom Road, Mumbai for Rs. 6400/- with B & W. Just checked last week. Both are USB 3.0. Ive purchased a WD my passport for the same price.

General perception in the market here is that prices may not fall considerably till end 2012. Apart from inventory loss companies will take time to recover costs of replacing damadged manufacturing machienes / plants.

I have read in many places that it will take till the end of 2013 for the prices to completely fall to the pre-flood prices. This is mostly because of acquisitions by both Seagate and Western digital. Between them, they control over 70-80% of HDD market share. There's plenty of demand from OEM manufacturers so prices will fall only gradually.

Even I purchased a 2TB External Disk last month for Rs ~6700. I had missed the boat last year by just one week. I could have got the same 2TB for Rs ~4500!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back