Hardware to create a Network for WD TV Live HUB and Personal Computer

girish_sutar

Hey Guys,

Happy to purchase WD TV Live Hub, and thanks to this forum here i got to know this product. :)
Interesting story is when i visited Reliance Digital stores in Pune, even they did not knew such product exists and while browsing through the store I found it........LOL.:lol:

Ok, coming to the point, would need help on how do i create a network so that I can synchronize the Media on my Personal Computer and WD TV Live Hub. I am not a Network person, hence need to know what hardware is required to have this network in place. OS on my PC is Windows XP.

Also I would like to use Internet on the WD TV Live Hub so how do i go about it, currently i use Reliance Broadband connection on my PC to access Internet.

Regards,
Girish

Congrats on your purchase Girish. :clapping:

Pages 12 through 15 of the user guide has step by step info on how to configure and copy content from PC to Live Hub. At a minimum you will need to connect your wdtv to your router via ethernet and you will need to install their discovery software on your PC to detect the wdtv on it.

If you want the sync to happen automatically, you can use a file synchronization software (there are freewares available). But since I dont own the product and have only played with it at a friends place, I cant give specifics on whether this will work or not.

Good Luck!

-Ajay

Ok, coming to the point, would need help on how do i create a network so that I can synchronize the Media on my Personal Computer and WD TV Live Hub. I am not a Network person, hence need to know what hardware is required to have this network in place. OS on my PC is Windows XP.

Also I would like to use Internet on the WD TV Live Hub so how do i go about it, currently i use Reliance Broadband connection on my PC to access Internet.

Regards,
Girish

It should be pretty forward and your manual should explain ti effectively, idely speaking, if you have a router connected to your broadband, things become easier. Typically you will have to connect your Media HUB to your router via LAN cable (Cat 5e). assuming your router is connected to internet and you can browse net via wifi or LAN, Your router will provide an internal IP to your media center automatically (you dont have to to anything).

To share media to and for from your PC/Laptop you can use their proprity application Discovery, install it on your PC/Laptop, that would map the drive of you media hub to your PC, and then it is just like opening your drive locally. (assuming that the connection has been made as explained above)

For browsing net again if your media hub provides an inbuilt browser, than all you have to do is to open it and start using. Youtube and FB should already be there in your media HUB.

If network does not work, one reason can be that you have to configure the network settings, just go to the network settings of your media HUB (check manual how to) and make sure that its set to automatic, thats all you need to so and things should work.

Hey Ajay & Sam,

Thanks for your help on this.

So basically i need to buy a router with those network cables mentioned by Sam.

Also do i need to do some installation of router (like drivers or something) for the computer to understand that there is some network drive which it needs to talk to?

Sorry i may sound lil stupid here, but never have done this before. Learning with your help.

Regards,

Hi Girish,

The SW needed to be installed on the PC depends on the router you buy. In most cases, you dont need to install anything on your PC to get networked via the router.

But as mentioned earlier, you will need to install SW from WD on your PC if you want your PC to find your wdtv. There is a way of avoiding this and doing it manually (and this is documented in their user guide), but installing the SW may be the easier route.

-Ajay

Hey Ajay,

I guess i am confused with the router and network switch mentioned in the manual. I purchased a Belkin Wired 8 Port 10/100 Network Switch, however the WD Discovery is not recognizing any network. LAN Status shows : Limited or No Connectivity.However it does show the IP Address.

I feel like I am completely messing up here :sad:

Hi Girish,
There is a list of compatible hardware with WD media players on their web site.once you get the hardware correct,all sort of pairing will happen in a jiffy.you could also read the forumns on support.wdc.com.
Hoping that you get every thing correct soon......cheers

Thanks Umesh, Ajay,

Finally cracked it! Have assigned the IP Address manually and bingo it worked.
Now I am able to transfer the files over the Network to my WD TV Live Hub.

Thanks once again!

Hey Guys,

Stuck again, i dont know why each time i logoff from the my Personal Computer the network does not determine the WD TV Live Hub?

This is getting too much......

Any help?

Enable DHCP in your WD Live HUB settings and let it be at "assign ip automatically" restart your router and WD Live hub.

I just saw you have a switch and not a router,......the above solution will not work with a switch. You have to manually assign the IP each time
you restart your computer for this to work ....

Solution is to get a Router instead of a switch, if you want this to be fully automated.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a query on the same topic. I am planning to buy a media player to connect to my denon 1911 and CRT tv. Have found that WD TV and Asus O play mini are ones in my budget. I have arnd 3.6 k balance from my earlier transaction in shopyourworld. On checking amazon , i found that asus is cheaper here in India. WD media players are a better buy from amazon considering the offer. Please find below my doubts.

1. I can find many WD models like WD TV Live, WD TV Live Plus, WD Live Hub, WD Tv Mini. My requirement is to play mp3/dvd/bd rips from USB drives and from PC on wireless and budget is upto 8k. Will WD TV Live (WDBHG70000NBK) be enough for the above requirement.

2. I have a Linksys WUSB54GC wifi usb stick which i bought to use with bsnl modem. If i connect this to PC, will i be able to create a wireless network and use it with the WD TV Live models. In such a case, i can avoid the task of copying to usb and carrying to media player.

3. Though WD has been a major brand in media players, recently members are more discussing on Himedia and asus players. Does it mean that the codec support of wd is not that great. Is it worth to buy a player from the above list. Himedia players are listed above 10k in Shopyourworld which will invite duties and it will make the pricing greater than india. This is the reason why i moved to WD.

Thanks in Advance.

Sorry girish for raising this query in your thread.

Regards,
Antony

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back