Harman Kardon AVR 70 OR Marnatz 1402 ?

pradeepkamat

Hi Friends!

I am planning to have 5.1 system. I have firmly decided to use JBL 200.5 speakers only.

Now I have to decide between A/V Receivers of Harman Kardon AVR 70 OR Marantz AVR 1402 to go with it.

I would like to have opinions of experts in this forum, whether I should buy HK AVR 70 OR MARANTZ AVR 1402? I do not want to use any other brands or models other than these.

My liking is 80% Music & 20 % Movies and TV programs.

I am going to connect WDTV LIVE optical output and TV optical output to the A/V Receiver's optical in for audio and HDMI out of WDTV and HDMI of STB to the LCD TV.

Please advise.

There was no reply from any experts on the forum.
Hence I did my own research on the matter and finaly purchased marantz
NR1402 from HiFiMart and got the delivery very promptly.
Also I decided to change my choice of speakers from JBL to PSB Alpha B1 fronts and Sub 125 & ordered the same. Expecting delivery tomorrow.

Also I decided to change my choice of speakers from JBL to PSB Alpha B1 fronts and Sub 125 & ordered the same. Expecting delivery tomorrow.

Congratulations on your purchase. How much did you pay for this? Even I was thinking of buying the same equipment. Unfortunately nobody in the forum seems to have any opinion about this reciever. Please can you post a detailed review of the set.

R, Vinay

Last edited:

Congratulations on your purchase. I too need an amp and speaker for similar kind of use. Please post your experience with the marantz once you get your speakers.

home theater Sound system

Dear All,

I am new to this forum

I am planning to buy an Home Theater & i don't know much about Sound & systems, that's why i need your help to setup a good Home theater

My Requirement will be 50% Music & 50% Movie (Mostly Action Movies)

Can pls advise what brand I should go for, Should I buy an already set home theater or should I go for an assemble one

Thanks
Best Regards
Harish Bangera

Hi Friends!
Sorry for replying late to your queries, since I was bussy installing and exploring the capabilities of the Marantz receiver and the psb speakers.

Now about Prices.
1> Marantz NR1402 AV Receiver Rs.24500/- Purchased from HiFiMrat.com
(very prompt delivery)

2> PSB Alpha B1 Bookshelf speaker pair Rs.16000/-

3> PSB Alpha sub series 125 subwoofer Rs.27000/-
Speakers Purchased from local dealer M/s Amps & Waves, Pune

4> I used centre, and rear speakers from my 3 year old Logitech Z5500 system.( A very good computer speaker system with building shaking bass) and transfered the Z-5500 with only 2 fronts in another room.

My experience:
Being the first Audiophile system I purchased, it was rather difficult to digest different settings etc.
But I managed to over come it within this week. I have to still understand all capabilities, however whatever I could do, the overall experience is excellent.

The owners manual of Marantz is very complicated to understand.But the set is excellent.

PSB Alpha B1 Bookshelf speakers are very good speakers and some times feel that, even a subwoofer is also not necessary.

At present I am running the system daily for about 4 to 5 Hours to reach the burn-in time of 100 hours at the earliest (Again a controversial issue, but nothing harmful to allow system run for 100 hours and see the difference atleast) 50 hours are already over at the time of writting.

I use my WDTV-Live hard disc media player with this system connected to DVD HDMI input of the receiver. (It is possible to rename the DVD to HDTVLive)

Your further enquiries are most welcome. More on the subject after fully exloring the system.

Hi Friends!
Sorry for replying late to your queries, since I was bussy installing and exploring the capabilities of the Marantz receiver and the psb speakers.

Now about Prices.
1> Marantz NR1402 AV Receiver Rs.24500/- Purchased from HiFiMrat.com
(very prompt delivery)

2> PSB Alpha B1 Bookshelf speaker pair Rs.16000/-

3> PSB Alpha sub series 125 subwoofer Rs.27000/-
Speakers Purchased from local dealer M/s Amps & Waves, Pune

4> I used centre, and rear speakers from my 3 year old Logitech Z5500 system.( A very good computer speaker system with building shaking bass) and transfered the Z-5500 with only 2 fronts in another room.

My experience:
Being the first Audiophile system I purchased, it was rather difficult to digest different settings etc.
But I managed to over come it within this week. I have to still understand all capabilities, however whatever I could do, the overall experience is excellent.

The owners manual of Marantz is very complicated to understand.But the set is excellent.

PSB Alpha B1 Bookshelf speakers are very good speakers and some times feel that, even a subwoofer is also not necessary.

At present I am running the system daily for about 4 to 5 Hours to reach the burn-in time of 100 hours at the earliest (Again a controversial issue, but nothing harmful to allow system run for 100 hours and see the difference atleast) 50 hours are already over at the time of writting.

I use my WDTV-Live hard disc media player with this system connected to DVD HDMI input of the receiver. (It is possible to rename the DVD to HDTVLive)

Your further enquiries are most welcome. More on the subject after fully exloring the system.

Some receivers allow you to change the input name in OSD (On Screen Display)..Check if your receiver OSD allows you to do that...

If you don't own an Blu Ray disk player, you can connect WDTV to receiver in BD(HDMI) connection....

You can use it with closest possible input name..

Marantz receivers sound the best when engaged in Pure Direct mode...I have used a marantz receiver in the past & know its abilities...

After using the system for last 2 months, I am fully satisfied with the sound quality of both, the Marantz receiver & the PSB speakers.
After running the Audyssey setup and adjusting crossover frequency etc. the system runs great.
Here am attaching my system diagram.

Attachments

• MARANTZ A V SYSTEM DIAGRAM.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 59
Hi Pradeep.. its very enlightening to read yr review of Marantz+PSB...especially the Block Diagram!.. I malso from Pune. Hope we meet someday for an audion of your well set up system :) .. (I m also a Marantz fan and got a WDTV-Live, but I never heard of PSB )

Hi Pradeep,

Even i am based in pune and planning to purchase the marantz NR-1402 online. Being a newbie my concern is the setup. Did you get any help in setting up the system from the local dealer of speakers?
Also, how would you rate the above combo with psb speakers for movies? As my 70% usage is going to be for the same.
Or could any of the seniors suggest better speakers in the range of 25k to go with the marantz nr1402.

Hi Pradeep,

Even i am based in pune and planning to purchase the marantz NR-1402 online. Being a newbie my concern is the setup. Did you get any help in setting up the system from the local dealer of speakers?
Also, how would you rate the above combo with psb speakers for movies? As my 70% usage is going to be for the same.
Or could any of the seniors suggest better speakers in the range of 25k to go with the marantz nr1402.

If you meant 25K or the entire 5.1 package, it will be very difficult to get one.... You can consider adding speakers as & when you budget allows...

You can consider Sonodyne Sonus, PSB Alpha, Polk TSx series of speakers...All these are proper BS combo....

Hi folks,

Can some one help me here in identifying the actual wattage per channel.
For example Marantz 1504 says

Power Output per channel
6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1%, 1ch Drive 85 W
6 ohm, 1 kHz. 0.7%, 2ch Drive 60 W
8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08%, 2ch Drive 50 W per channel.

I have 8 ohm 100 W 5.1 speakers, so how much will be the nominal power given to each of them when running ?

thanks in advance
hg

Hi Pradeep,

As I mentioned ealier I am using PSB speakers for Fronts and Sub.
Centre & rear speakers are from my old Logitech Z-5500 system.

As my usage is mostly for Music, I selected good speakers for fronts & the sub. which costed Rs.43000/-

I will suggest JBL 200.5 (5.1 speakers) which will fit your budget. I have auditioned these speakers with Harman Kardon AVR70. It is very good system.
Total cost would be arround Rs.45000/-

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back