Has anyone tried a(n on-wall) centre channel above the TV?

k-pad

Hi all,
My listening/viewing level is 35 inches from the floor.
I have my TV mounted in such a manner that the centre point of its vertical falls exactly here.
Have ordered an on-wall centre channel that is 6 inches high.

If I can place it below the TV and tilt it upwards, the centre of the woofers will be 20 inches from ear level, pointing upwards.
If I can place it above the TV and tilt it downwards, the centre of the woofers will be 19 inches from ear level, pointing downwards.

Are both equally fine, or is there a call to be taken?

I have wall mounted the centre channel above my table top TV. It is at least a feet above my listening position. Tilted it a downward etc, but the centre channel does not sound good. Ended up increasing the levels from the AVR. Still not happy with it. Room acoustics and that I'm sitting 8-10 feet away are the reasons. It sounds much better when it is off the mount, kept in front of the TV (blocking it) at a few inches below ear level.

I did have it setup above the TV, but changed it below the TV and the difference was noticeable. Go with below the TV.

Check out this thread.

I have wall mounted the centre channel above my table top TV. It is at least a feet above my listening position. Tilted it a downward etc, but the centre channel does not sound good. Ended up increasing the levels from the AVR. Still not happy with it. Room acoustics and that I'm sitting 8-10 feet away are the reasons. It sounds much better when it is off the mount, kept in front of the TV (blocking it) at a few inches below ear level.
That's the worst situation I have heard!
And am kindda on the same boat...
You found a solution, sir?

Last edited:
Why?
I'll explain my situation better:
1. From below, mine is at around 22 deg facing upwards. And if I have my recliner's footrest up, it does put impedences in the way...
2. From above, wouldn't it beam straight at my LP, with no interference?

I did have it setup above the TV, but changed it below the TV and the difference was noticeable. Go with below the TV.

Check out this thread.

Hi bhai,
My TV is 18 inches above floor, and ear 35 inches above floor.
It's basically a bit lower than most people.
How did your positions measure?
Placing the centre above TV would mean a height of 54 inches from floor to the tweeter.
Beaming it down to LP should sound better than beaming up from say 15-16 inches from floor to my LP?

Hi all,
My listening/viewing level is 35 inches from the floor.
I have my TV mounted in such a manner that the centre point of its vertical falls exactly here.
Have ordered an on-wall centre channel that is 6 inches high.

If I can place it below the TV and tilt it upwards, the centre of the woofers will be 20 inches from ear level, pointing upwards.
If I can place it above the TV and tilt it downwards, the centre of the woofers will be 19 inches from ear level, pointing downwards.

Are both equally fine, or is there a call to be taken?
My bad here. Apologies.
Accurate measures in subsequent posts.

@k-pad I saw your other post where you have posted pictures, once you get a proper AVR shelf or a tv cabinet these center channel placement issues can be solved.

I too have a TV cabinet which is pretty low, but what I have done is added a block near foot pegs of TV to increase the height. So this way the centre channel sits right and some wiring is hidden too. The blocks are next to the masks. 20211124_203315_copy_1403x867.jpg

@k-pad I saw your other post where you have posted pictures, once you get a proper AVR shelf or a tv cabinet these center channel placement issues can be solved.
That's reassuring, bro.
I too have a TV cabinet which is pretty low, but what I have done is added a block near foot pegs of TV to increase the height. So this way the centre channel sits right and some wiring is hidden too. The blocks are next to the masks. View attachment 64670
But what is the eventual height of the TV?
Regds

Why?
I'll explain my situation better:
1. From below, mine is at around 22 deg facing upwards. And if I have my recliner's footrest up, it does put impedences in the way...
2. From above, wouldn't it beam straight at my LP, with no interference?
Having experimented with above ear level LRs I'd say they sound unnatural. If the sound is blocked then its another matter.

That's reassuring, bro.

But what is the eventual height of the TV?
Regds

TV height doesn't matter, the distance from the MLP position and the size of TV everything comes into play. You shouldn't look up or look down while watching TV, should be the neck shouldn't strain.

If you think TV is at a very high height, move the MLP a bit farther behind to avoid looking up and straining your neck.

Post a picture here with proper lighting, others may help in too.

I had my center mounted above TV for a short while - Its hard to say what was off with it but it sounded unusual..
Maybe the dispersion pattern is designed to radiate upwards - or maybe our brains are conditioned to be OK with the sound coming a little below but never from above the TV.

Either way, i ended up shifting them below the TV

I had mine above the tv years back with different speakers but with my new layout change i have the center in the tv unit which is below the Tv & angled abit upwards. I feel it sounds much better & gives the impression of the center audio coming from screen then when it was above the Tv.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back