HD media player or dvd player that supports external drive?

vaibhav.gadade

am confused as to buy a hd media player that plays movies off an hard disk or a dvd/blueray player that supports a hard drive. i am wondering if the DVD player will play all formats

are there any cases that accept hard drive inside them and have a HDMI out? cause that would be a nice decent portable drive with playback capacity. i saw one my micca but not available in India directly.

any help will be great.

You should have searched the forum first. There are a number of threads about media players. I will suggest you go for hd media player instead of dvd/bluray player, if you want to use HDD. Most DVD/BD Players won't support NTFS formatted drives. For media players look for models from Kaiboer, Himedia, Measy etc. which supports internal HDD slot. Post your budget so that we can suggest one that suits your needs.

thanks for the reply. i did search and found a lot of info about media players, but not a direct comparison.

this is what i know so far after a research shopping trip to vijay sales and e-zone and some research online.

amkette, asus o play, measy, WD, all are worthy contenders and play almost all formats.

most LED's now accept an external hard drive, but i dont want to replace my TV for now as it will be a costly affair, and i am not sure it plays all formats yet.

then there was LG BD550 blue ray player with network port and accepts 1TB external hard drive. monsoon offer at vijay sales is retailing this for Rs.5550/-
I was unable to find if it plays almost all formats, and research on the net too did not yield results yet, but i am still lookin.

if it does, then i think this is a sensible buy for around the same price as amkette flash TV or asus o play mini, with an additional blue ray drive and network capability.

what do you guys think? am i missing something?

Another cheaper option is got for LG bd550 Bluray Player. it plays all video formats and supports NTFS also. Sony's new BR player 380 also supports ntfs and it costs abt 8K.

/Alok

Media players offer more versatility than BD players when you connect them to an external HDD.

They can play several video formats: RM, RMVB, TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS, AVI, ASF, WMV, MKV, MOV, MP4, RMP4, M1V, M2V, M4V, M2P, MPG, VOB, IFO, DVD-ISO, BD-ISO, RMVB 8, RMVB 9, RMVB 10,

As well as audio formats: FLAC, AAC, OGG, MP3, M4A, WAV, MP1, MP2, MPA, WMA

And Subtitles: SRT, SMI SUB, SSA

Look for any economical media player which connects your external HDD 2.5" and 3.5" outside the player (to prevent the media player from cooking up your HDD) and newer Realtek 1185 chipset.

Playon2, Mede8er, Vivo,Egreat as some brands...

Look for medial players with the newer Realtek 1185 chipsets

Hi
I have a 2Tb HDD connected direct to my Samsung TV, or HDD via USB to Asus media player HDMI to AVR, HDMI to TV,
media player better option than DVD/BRay

Another cheaper option is got for LG bd550 Bluray Player. it plays all video formats and supports NTFS also. Sony's new BR player 380 also supports ntfs and it costs abt 8K.

/Alok

do you own this? cause i saw the LG BD550 for Rs.5550 at vijay sales and it looks awesome bang for the buck if it can play all formats on external HDD

basically one way to look at it is that it is a HD media player with blue ray disc.

@vaibhav.gadade: Let me explain my personal experience with BD Player and media player. I have a sherwood bdp and a himedia hd600b media player which I bought last week. I used to download lot of 720p BRRip files of size > 2GB to get better video quality and surround sound. These movies are usually in mkv or mp4 format. Some movies are in divx format. While trying to play these files in my bdp, some times they will play sometimes not. New mkv files were not at all playable and I had to convert them to make them play. Another problem I found is that the playback will stop at the middle of a movie. For some movies the time search function didn't work and I had to fast forward which is just 2X speed. For some files the time search works and can FF at upto 128X. For one of the divx hd movie, all I could hear the sound and no video. The player also won't play formats like m2ts, flac etc. My bdp has no NTFS support so that files with a size > 4GB can't be played.This is the reason why I bought a media player which can virtually play any type of media files.

In simple words, buy a blu-ray disk player only if you are willing to buy BR disks. If you want to watch downloaded movies and songs, buy a media player and forget about blu-ray player.

Last edited:
got it. thanks for the info brother. big help. one more thing. where did you buy the himedia player from and at what price?

thanks guys. read the long thread about these players . me wants to buy too. sadly its pre order. have written to the seller for an expected date.

thanks buddy. it was a sorta silly question on my part but the site never showed the photo of the remote. i have blocked the last piece that raghu of detna has and will be transferring the payment to him today. hopefully i will have the player tomorrow or latest by the day after in my hand.

i must thank you all for guiding me in choosing this player. though i have a htpc in a regular small case, lack of remote for it is a bit cumbersome and wireless keyboards and mouse dont have that much range.

hey,

thanks for the link to the himedia player. also noticed on the site there is an Android media player. whats the deal with this? it seems like it can do most of himedia's function plus its android...what do you guys think?

Hi Baiju, even I was confused in getting a BR player or a media player. Nowadays generally downloaded movies are in .avi, .mkv and .mp4 format and music are in .mp3 or .flac. External HDD are also supported by BR players. All these formats are played by BR. Why not go for a BR player compared to a media player. I would kindly request you to clarify this.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back