HD20 from US has come with a 120V cable- pls advice

manishk13

Hello

I imported by HD20 through borderlinx. It has come with a 125 V; 10A power cable. Can some one who owns HD20 shipped from US advice is this correct ? What to do ? Should I use a voltage transformer or get a new 220 V cable ?

Manis

All products sold in the US come with 110/120 vol cables.

Manish, first of all make sure that the projector can take BOTH 110 and 200 volts. If it can do that, then just buy a good quality cable from the local market.

If the projector cannot take 220 volts, you have to power it through a step down transformer.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, connect it directly without ensuring it can take 200 volts. You will just burn the projector.

Cheers

Optoma HD 20 is a multi voltage projector even if brought from US so you don't need to worry on that front. All you need to do is that u buy a descent cable from the local market and that should do the needful, try looking for HP power cables as they are well built.

Optoma HD 20 is a multi voltage projector even if brought from US so you don't need to worry on that front. All you need to do is that u buy a descent cable from the local market and that should do the needful, try looking for HP power cables as they are well built.

Ashish do you mean that the 120v cable that comes with the projector is not suitable for use over here in India?
I'm using the same PJ with the cable that it comes with so kind of concerned if I should replace the cable with another one.

Regards,
Rajat

If your projector supports 220v, you should be fine. Just use a multiplug or something like that, which can take the different pins of your power cord. you can get the MX one for 30/-

Ashish do you mean that the 120v cable that comes with the projector is not suitable for use over here in India?
I'm using the same PJ with the cable that it comes with so kind of concerned if I should replace the cable with another one.

Regards,
Rajat

No its not that the cable won't work but the plug system is not designed for our Indian sockets and I wouldn't recommend cut and replacement plug job so I asked for the cable change, unless you happen to have a good convertor without any loose connection between the plug and socket then you should be fine with the original cable that came with the PJ.

in the instruction booklet of panasonic they say use power cord for correct voltage, otherwise there is a fire hazard. I found the stock cable to be quite thick and decent quality and decided against the over cautious approach. Since the cable was too small - it is used only for the last mile (meter). The internal wiring of a switch is tapped and the cable is joint after removing the top. But there is no harm in buying a new 200v/ 10A rated cable from a decent source.

Hello

I imported by HD20 through borderlinx. It has come with a 125 V; 10A power cable. Can some one who owns HD20 shipped from US advice is this correct ? What to do ? Should I use a voltage transformer or get a new 220 V cable ?

Manis

I too have the HD20 from US (handcarried a few months back), You should be able to plug into a 220V socket directly (as it accepts 110v/220v both). Just ensure that you have a universal socket on your mains line (Anchor, MK makes these and most power strips have them)
Else just change the cable to a Indian plug one (any normal desktop PC cable should work). The fastest way around this is to just replace the plug on the wire. Chop off the old one and get a Anchor plug and you are all set.
Go ahead and try it out and start enjoying the movies!!
-Manish

Last edited:
Hello

Manis

I have many electronic goods brought from the USA for many years and I have never changed the Power cable supplied by the manufacturers.

A=W/V - So even when u use the cable supplied with 120V and proper amperage for our 230V supply it doesn't matter as the A will decrease since W is the same.
Usually the problem arises with the type of plug pin supplied which does not match to our sockets.
But most of the time we will be using a UPS with the Projector, so that the Bulb will get sufficient time to cool off in case of sudden power outage and u can easily get a UPS with the same flat pin socket.

Just from my experience.

I too have the HD20 from US (handcarried a few months back), You should be able to plug into a 220V socket directly (as it accepts 110v/220v both). Just ensure that you have a universal socket on your mains line (Anchor, MK makes these and most power strips have them)
Else just change the cable to a Indian plug one (any normal desktop PC cable should work). The fastest way around this is to just replace the plug on the wire. Chop off the old one and get a Anchor plug and you are all set.
Go ahead and try it out and start enjoying the movies!!
-Manish

usually it is not a good idea to chop off a plug and install an Indian Plug because u will be using a loose connection ( hole with screws) instead of a solid connection(soldered connection in sealed plug unit) seen in the original.
Loose contacts are always bad.

Depends on how its implemented, I have done them in the past and if done properly I dont see any issues. Just ensure that the cable/plug connection is firm and no loose strand anywhere

Thanks everyone. I looked at the back of the projector and the power supply says 250 V, 10 A - so obviously it supports our 220V. However the cable that comes with it sayd 110 V, 10 A. I guess based on what everyone has recommended, THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE THE CABLE, I WILL SIMPLY NEED TO HAVE THE RIGHT SOCKET TO PLUG IN THE US STYLE PINS.

One more question : should the load calculation now be 220 V * 10 a = 2200 VA or 110 v * 10 a = 1100 va ?. Since I will need to get a right UPS to support it

Thanks
Manish

Thanks everyone. I looked at the back of the projector and the power supply says 250 V, 10 A - so obviously it supports our 220V. However the cable that comes with it sayd 110 V, 10 A. I guess based on what everyone has recommended, THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE THE CABLE, I WILL SIMPLY NEED TO HAVE THE RIGHT SOCKET TO PLUG IN THE US STYLE PINS.

One more question : should the load calculation now be 220 V * 10 a = 2200 VA or 110 v * 10 a = 1100 va ?. Since I will need to get a right UPS to support it

Thanks
Manish

the spec sheet of optoma hd20 gives the max power consumption as 308watts. so u can safely use any good UPS of say 400 rating, as we usually take 400VA rating of the UPS at 80% efficiency giving us an actual figure of 320Watts.

I picked up the HD20 from NY and have snapped the power cord that came with it and attached an Indian plug and it works just fine... The PJ is dual voltage...

I dont think there is anything to worry about 120/220v cable. Check the voltage rating written on the cable (usually it will be 400v).

Thanks
Manish

The APC 600 shud work fine with the HD20 , ie if you plan to shut down on power failure if to be used for sometime on power failure you cud go for the APC 800
I use the APC800

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back