whatsup with the kar-kar sound of my subwoofer?

arnprasad

HI,

I have a polk PSW10 SW which was / maybe is the best selling SW on Amazon USA for the past 15 years. I got mine from US some 10-12 years for 99 USD. Since my AVR is also from US, I use a step down transformer which has two inputs to plug these two.

Right from day one..I had this kar-kar sound from my SW most of the time.

As far as I know. SW is all about buying a decent cable, setting the correct crossover frequency..maybe the right distance from the wall...etc.

Now I have replaced my 12 year old Pioneer 1020K with Denon 1700H and so far I have been pretty disappointed. I have few HT demo files...mostly from Atmos and DTS themselves or few movie trailers. The 5.1 from my Pioneer was true 5.1 whereas from Denon I am very underwhelmed. Right now I am assuming this is more due to my ignorance than the AVR itself. Hence waiting for my nephew to come and help me. So my Denon issues are another topic and another thread for some other day.

However as far as my SW is concerned...the karkar was there in Pioneer and it continues with Denon.

How do I know if my SW is alright or is it broken? when I choose Windows sound settings and test SW...test signals sound ok. When I use Audyssey to setup..test signals sound ok.

Hence I am lost as to whether I have done the setup properly or whether some part of the SW is screwed or its normal for SW to do some karkar sound depending on how low the frequency is.

Hence please guide me to to comprehensively test my SW to know whether something is broken or not or maybe its capacity itself is such that in some scenes it sounds ok and in some it is bound to do some karkar..Will try and post a youtube video of the karkar sound

..managed to shoot a video and upload..Not sure how well the phone captured it. You can check the second part of the MI trailer and let me know if SW is fine or not. Thx

Last edited:
HI,

I have a polk PSW10 SW which was / maybe is the best selling SW on Amazon USA for the past 15 years. I got mine from US some 10-12 years for 99 USD. Since my AVR is also from US, I use a step down transformer which has two inputs to plug these two.

As far as I know. SW is all about buying a decent cable, setting the correct crossover frequency..maybe the right distance from the wall...etc.

Now I have replaced my 12 year old Pioneer 1020K with Denon 1700H and so far I have been pretty disappointed. I have few HT demo files...mostly from Atmos and DTS themselves or few movie trailers. The 5.1 from my Pioneer was true 5.1 whereas from Denon I am very underwhelmed. Right now I am assuming this is more due to my ignorance than the AVR itself. Hence waiting for my nephew to come and help me. So my Denon issues are another topic and another thread for some other day.

However as far as my SW is concerned...the karkar was there in Pioneer and it continues with Denon.

How do I know if my SW is alright or is it broken? when I choose Windows sound settings and test SW...test signals sound ok. When I use Audyssey to setup..test signals sound ok.

Hence I am lost as to whether I have done the setup properly or whether some part of the SW is screwed or its normal for SW to do some karkar sound depending on how low the frequency is.

Hence please guide me to to comprehensively test my SW to know whether something is broken or not or maybe its capacity itself is such that in some scenes it sounds ok and in some it is bound to do some karkar..Will try and post a youtube video of the karkar sound

..managed to shoot a video and upload..Not sure how well the phone captured it. You can check the second part of the MI trailer and let me know if SW is fine or not. Thx

Hello,

kindly remove the input connection from AVR sub out and check if you are hearing any noise , if you want you can try any other source RCA input to sub to find out real issue , if you hear the same noise with other source then sub woofer has some issue .

Unscrew the subwoofer and see if this noise is there outside the enclosure also. Connect subwoofer directly to avr front chanel and see if the noise is there. This way you will know problem is with the subwoofer or the subwoofer plate amp.

If you can play with a crossover then you can try high pass filter

Many thanks everyone. Will wait for my nephew to come and do all of the above. I don't want to unscrew the SW and screw it in the process. He will also be getting another Polk SW. Can compare as well.

HI,

Looks like a driver issue. Has the surround cracked in some place

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back