HDMI 1 IN 2 Out Spliter with Manual changeover Switch

Yamaha HT Package model 299 doesn't have "HDMI Pass Through" functionality. This feature allow to bypass Input HDMI to output HDMI when the Receiver is in the stand-by mode.

For example:
I have connected my DTH STB to the receiver thru HDMI Input port and HDMI out port is connected to TV.

When the receiver is not Powered ON or it is Standby mode I cannot watch TV. It is always not necessary to get the audio from the Home theater speaker. While watching HD channels like Star Movies, Movies Now HD etc. I want my Receiver to power On so that I can enjoy the blu-ray movie.

But while watching non-HD channels I want both audio and video from the TV without disconnecting the HDMI cable from the Receiver and connecting directly to TV.

I need a adapter or a switch device having 1 HDMI input and 2 HDMI outputs with a manual changeover Switch.

Say I connect
DTH HDMI --> Input of this adapter
Out-1 of this adapter --> AVR HDMI IN
Out-2 of the adapter --> TV HDMI port 2
AVR HDMI out --> TV HDMI Port-1

With this adapter I can directly hook the DTH to TV and also thru AVR and bypassing AVR by changing the switch on the adapter. Also I needed not to disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI cable again n again.

Please suggest me a suitable adapter to buy from the SJP road or from flipkart.com. Adapter should be support Full HD 1920 x 1080p.

Also please suggest the wire specifications to be used for connecting speakers to the receiver.

Thanks.

Attachments

• HDMI Adapter.jpg
    HDMI Adapter.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Please suggest what kind of Wire shall I use for interconnecting AV Receiver and Speakers.

Wire Gauge:
Shall I use 14 or 12 AWG ?

Oxygen free cable (OFC):
Do I have to use OFC ?

From the Wikipedia I found that:
A common rule of thumb is that the resistance of the speaker wire should not exceed 5% of the rated impedance of the system

Wire size 2 Ohms load 4 Ohms load 6 Ohms load 8 Ohms load
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22 AWG (0.326 mm2) 3 ft (0.9 m) 6 ft (1.8 m) 9 ft (2.7 m) 12 ft (3.6 m)
20 AWG (0.518 mm2) 5 ft (1.5 m) 10 ft (3 m) 15 ft (4.5 m) 20 ft (6 m)
18 AWG (0.823 mm2) 8 ft (2.4 m) 16 ft (4.9 m) 24 ft (7.3 m) 32 ft (9.7 m)
16 AWG (1.31 mm2) 12 ft (3.6 m) 24 ft (7.3 m) 36 ft (11 m) 48 ft (15 m)
14 AWG (2.08 mm2) 20 ft (6.1 m) 40 ft (12 m) 60 ft (18 m)* 80 ft (24 m)*
12 AWG (3.31 mm2) 30 ft (9.1 m) 60 ft (18 m)* 90 ft (27 m)* 120 ft (36 m)*
10 AWG (5.26 mm2) 50 ft (15 m) 100 ft (30 m)* 150 ft (46 m)* 200 ft (61 m)*

Based on this table my max length of cable that is to be put is for Surround Left speaker would be about 30 feet from the receiver.

So shall I use 12 AWG OFC Copper wire ?

Last edited:
Please suggest what kind of Wire shall I use for interconnecting AV Receiver and Speakers.

Wire Gauge:
Shall I use 14 or 12 AWG ?

Oxygen free cable (OFC):
Do I have to use OFC ?

From the Wikipedia I found that:
A common rule of thumb is that the resistance of the speaker wire should not exceed 5% of the rated impedance of the system

Wire size 2 Ohms load 4 Ohms load 6 Ohms load 8 Ohms load
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22 AWG (0.326 mm2) 3 ft (0.9 m) 6 ft (1.8 m) 9 ft (2.7 m) 12 ft (3.6 m)
20 AWG (0.518 mm2) 5 ft (1.5 m) 10 ft (3 m) 15 ft (4.5 m) 20 ft (6 m)
18 AWG (0.823 mm2) 8 ft (2.4 m) 16 ft (4.9 m) 24 ft (7.3 m) 32 ft (9.7 m)
16 AWG (1.31 mm2) 12 ft (3.6 m) 24 ft (7.3 m) 36 ft (11 m) 48 ft (15 m)
14 AWG (2.08 mm2) 20 ft (6.1 m) 40 ft (12 m) 60 ft (18 m)* 80 ft (24 m)*
12 AWG (3.31 mm2) 30 ft (9.1 m) 60 ft (18 m)* 90 ft (27 m)* 120 ft (36 m)*
10 AWG (5.26 mm2) 50 ft (15 m) 100 ft (30 m)* 150 ft (46 m)* 200 ft (61 m)*

Based on this table my max length of cable that is to be put is for Surround Left speaker would be about 30 feet from the receiver.

So shall I use 12 AWG OFC Copper wire ?

Depends on the binding posts on AVR and speakers.
Thicker is always better. Too think and you may not be able to insert into clip type post or bind effectively into roll type post.
Also if using terminations, make sure that they are good quality as they can add to resistance.

OFC or not is a pricing issue. Electrical wire can be used as speaker wire; usually works out cheaper but not very pretty to look at.
Finolex 1.5/2.5 sq. mm in bare wire config if both speaker and amp can take the thickness is a good choice. For 30 ft run 16/14/12 AWG may be used with almost any speaker.

Cheers,
Raghu

Yamaha HT Package model 299 doesn't have "HDMI Pass Through" functionality. This feature allow to bypass Input HDMI to output HDMI when the Receiver is in the stand-by mode.

For example:
I have connected my DTH STB to the receiver thru HDMI Input port and HDMI out port is connected to TV.

When the receiver is not Powered ON or it is Standby mode I cannot watch TV. It is always not necessary to get the audio from the Home theater speaker. While watching HD channels like Star Movies, Movies Now HD etc. I want my Receiver to power On so that I can enjoy the blu-ray movie.

But while watching non-HD channels I want both audio and video from the TV without disconnecting the HDMI cable from the Receiver and connecting directly to TV.

I need a adapter or a switch device having 1 HDMI input and 2 HDMI outputs with a manual changeover Switch.

Say I connect
DTH HDMI --> Input of this adapter
Out-1 of this adapter --> AVR HDMI IN
Out-2 of the adapter --> TV HDMI port 2
AVR HDMI out --> TV HDMI Port-1

With this adapter I can directly hook the DTH to TV and also thru AVR and bypassing AVR by changing the switch on the adapter. Also I needed not to disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI cable again n again.

Please suggest me a suitable adapter to buy from the SJP road or from flipkart.com. Adapter should be support Full HD 1920 x 1080p.

Also please suggest the wire specifications to be used for connecting speakers to the receiver.

Thanks.

Why can't you simply direct the sound with Optical cable to HTR for watching HD channels, rather than splitting the HDMI signal?, that will be a simple solution for redirecting audio..

Why can't you simply direct the sound with Optical cable to HTR for watching HD channels, rather than splitting the HDMI signal?, that will be a simple solution for redirecting audio..
----------------
That's really true. Good idea.

About Optical cable: should I buy branded item like BANDRIDGE
Should I buy a Glass Fiber or Crystal Fiber media. The Max distance between TV and the AVR is hardly 1 Meter.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back