Headphones under 100$

hemchandran

Hi, i'm looking to buy a headphone under 100$ in the thanks giving day deals. Some of my friends are currently in US who can carry it for me. Please suggest some neutral sounding headphones.

For $100, the Grado SR80e comes to mind
It has rave reviews and recommendations from everyone, except it is open-back, so it is good only for private home usage. And it may be a trifle uncomfortable for longer periods

If you want closed-back headphones, the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (one of its many derivatives) should be your preference. Again widely loved headphone
It retails for about $125 but on Black Friday you may get it cheaper
Cons - it is again a bit heavy (and hence uncomfortable for long sessions)

There is a third alternative
It doesnt involve thanksgiving or USA at all

Reliance Digital is liquidating its stock of Ultimate Ears headphones. The UE6000 model is going at Rs 4999. It is not as "audiophile" as the Grado or the Audio Technica. But it is still a very good headphone. Very good build quality, and despite it's looks, not too heavy. Extremely comfy to wear. If there are any Reliance Digital stores around your place, check them out.
(or you could get it from the US - it is under $100)

You can also shortlist Sennheiser HD558. I am using one and I am quite happy with it. Its currently sold at a good price on Amazon.

Thanks, Grunthos and Santy for your suggestion. The headphones are going to be used with Iphone 5S, hope these headphone will sound good with the iphone. Any more suggestion on the iphone perspective would helpful

with iphone or mobile phone ( without use of headamp )... the grado sr60i is good too.

I use the Grado SR80i though i suspect the Sr60i would have been just as good given that i play music thru my android or portable musuc player with no headamp inbetween.

its cheaper as well.

other manufacturers also make some good headphones but i like the Grados for their simplicity in design and unique looks.

mpw

@hemchandran - Open VS closed back design and sound signature should be a major consideration point when plonking more than 1k if you ask me. :). Grado being open-back is not suited for all settings. Say a bus ride or desk listening at work. They leak a lot of sound and its good for certain music genres and detrimental to certain genres because bass isn't as impactful as some other models and you might find the mids(voices etc.,) a little too prominent. I have been using Sr80i for more than 2 years now and I love them. If you prefer bassy genres (and not to sound condescending but most beginners tend to prefer bassy headphones and eventually discard beauties like Grado etc., as sub-standard, which is MILLION miles away from truth. After-all, there is much more to music than just bass. There is a band without a bassist. Yes, its true! :)) then you need to look at models with bassy tuning. Also, might not sound as important but build quality and long-duration comfort is very important. Senheiser for one makes very comfortable headphones. Good luck with your purchase and do report back with your decision and eventual experience. Also, research about Beyerdynamic DTX350 which retails for about 70$.

For $100, the Grado SR80e comes to mind
It has rave reviews and recommendations from everyone, except it is open-back,

OP, I agree with grunthos. I had SR80i before I upgraded to SR60e (because at that time the shop didn't have 80e) and it's an awesome line if you don't have to worry about sound leak.

If you want closed-back headphones, the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (one of its many derivatives) should be your preference.

Heard a lot of praise. I am myself trying to get my hands on it in a shop so that I can try the fit and sound too.

I have fostex TR50 they are excellent for vocals and softer relaxed music presentation. Midrange is very nice, they are not aggressive in presentation and therefore may seem underwhelming for genres like rock, otherwise very nice headphones. There are plenty mods available to tune the sound.

no sound coming frm one of ear phones in my PX100. I could not find it in amazon or flipkart. is it no more available? is there any other alternatives rm Sennheiser?

Back