Hearing loss and Tinnitus post Covid-19 infection

Analogous

There seems to be some emerging evidence that a proportion of people hospitalised for treatment of COVID-19 and recovering are reporting persistent hearing loss and or Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound) This paper is not peer reviewed, but still worth attention as these symptoms can be devastating to music lovers. One more reason to maximise efforts to prevent COVID-19 infection.

Steam inhalation can avoid this while Covid19.
Don’t bet on that. This seems to be part of the infections effects on various systems of the body. in this case it’s effect on the inner ear and possibly the auditory nerve system. Inhaled steam will not come into contact with either, so unlikely to have any effect on this particular symptom.

Steam (water @ 100 degrees C by definition) is rapidly cooled on entering the nose, mouth, throat and lungs. If steam inhalation is done for sufficiently long duration, it can clear out thicker mucus that can block these passages- specially nose (relieves blocked nose and sinuses) and lungs allowing this mucus to be blown out (nose) or coughed out (lungs). It is definitely a good adjunct therapy in the right situations but not in the case under discussion. We still are learning about COVID-19 infections and it’s long term effects on our bodies…..(Yes, I am a doctor)

Since this is not a forum to discuss COVID treatments ,as we have hospitals and doctors for that, deleting other posts
My apologies. I thought this article might be of interest to us because a significant proportion (16%) of those hospitalised report this very irritating symptom. Please delete the topic if it is irrelevant or distracting.

My apologies. I thought this article might be of interest to us because a significant proportion (16%) of those hospitalised report this very irritating symptom. Please delete the topic if it is irrelevant or distracting.

The topic is fine @Analogous ..there were posts suggesting treatment tor COVID19 which we want to avoid

There seems to be some emerging evidence that a proportion of people hospitalised for treatment of COVID-19 and recovering are reporting persistent hearing loss and or Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound) This paper is not peer reviewed, but still worth attention as these symptoms can be devastating to music lovers. One more reason to maximise efforts to prevent COVID-19 infection.

I'd read about tinnitus being a very commonly reported post-covid symptom late last year. It was quite worrying!

I got infected this January, and I thankfully escaped lightly without much suffering or after effects, save bouts of tiredness that lingered for about 2 months after, and a (still) slightly elevated heart rate when I begin physical activity.

The weirdest effect Covid had on my listening (particularly while I was still infected) was that I kept getting intense frissons while listening to music, and was having a particularly intense emotional reaction to most of my favourites (and to new music I discovered). This intensity lingered for quite a while, and I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think I appreciate and enjoy music far more post-infection. This also turned out to be quite expensive for me post infection (in terms of upgrades and acquisitions).

The topic is fine @Analogous ..there were posts suggesting treatment tor COVID19 which we want to avoid
I did not suggest any treatment actually.

Don’t bet on that. This seems to be part of the infections effects on various systems of the body. in this case it’s effect on the inner ear and possibly the auditory nerve system. Inhaled steam will not come into contact with either, so unlikely to have any effect on this particular symptom.

Steam (water @ 100 degrees C by definition) is rapidly cooled on entering the nose, mouth, throat and lungs. If steam inhalation is done for sufficiently long duration, it can clear out thicker mucus that can block these passages- specially nose (relieves blocked nose and sinuses) and lungs allowing this mucus to be blown out (nose) or coughed out (lungs). It is definitely a good adjunct therapy in the right situations but not in the case under discussion. We still are learning about COVID-19 infections and it’s long term effects on our bodies…..(Yes, I am a doctor)
That's good for sinusitis, but virus still remains active when body temperature touches 102° and remain constant.
Secondly inhaling will possibly allow virus to travel deep inside.

I'd read about tinnitus being a very commonly reported post-covid symptom late last year. It was quite worrying!

I got infected this January, and I thankfully escaped lightly without much suffering or after effects, save bouts of tiredness that lingered for about 2 months after, and a (still) slightly elevated heart rate when I begin physical activity.

The weirdest effect Covid had on my listening (particularly while I was still infected) was that I kept getting intense frissons while listening to music, and was having a particularly intense emotional reaction to most of my favourites (and to new music I discovered). This intensity lingered for quite a while, and I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I think I appreciate and enjoy music far more post-infection. This also turned out to be quite expensive for me post infection (in terms of upgrades and acquisitions).
I am intrigued by your post Covid-19 emotional response to music (loved your reaction too!)

That's good for sinusitis, but virus still remains active when body temperature touches 102° and remain constant.
Secondly inhaling will possibly allow virus to travel deep inside.
Shall we stick to the audio/hearing part of the discussion?

Already sick on seeing social media and TV news daily on COVID, better we at-least forgot about these and spend some time here on music and movies... Sick...

I think I can somewhat relate to it. I am still in Covid infection and it has really changed the perception i was having towards life. Suddenly every other worry and thoughts vanished from my mind only thing was about holding on to life and wellness of family members.

I am having issues with concentrating on any stuff right from reading, movies and even work. Listening to songs are helping a bit, but still having a sense of detachment in life.

However, i have not yet faced Tinnitus.

I think I can somewhat relate to it. I am still in Covid infection and it has really changed the perception i was having towards life. Suddenly every other worry and thoughts vanished from my mind only thing was about holding on to life and wellness of family members.

I am having issues with concentrating on any stuff right from reading, movies and even work. Listening to songs are helping a bit, but still having a sense of detachment in life.

Good to know you are coming through the infection with a deeper appreciation of the important things in life. Wish you a quick and complete recovery. Not everyone has post COVID-19 hearing problems or tinnitus. I think it was about 16%. Hopefully you will not be affected

I was infected last month and recovered. There is surely still a ringing sound in morning which fortunately fades away as day progresses. Maybe its because of weakness. Earlier my ears were best and fresh in mornings. Concentration power in general is reduced for everything. I cant make out if there is a hearing loss or not. So audiophiles please beware of covid.

I was infected last month and recovered. There is surely still a ringing sound in morning which fortunately fades away as day progresses. Maybe its because of weakness. Earlier my ears were best and fresh in mornings. Concentration power in general is reduced for everything. I cant make out if there is a hearing loss or not. So audiophiles please beware of covid.
Sorry to hear you caught the virus. (or vice versa)
lots of post viral symptoms are being reported but most fade away over time.

@Analogous many people have tinnitus. What are the causes and what's the treatment?
There is no specific treatment for tinnitus as it still remains a mystery in the medical field. Known causes are hearing loss and loud noise damage. I have been suffering from tinnitus from December and being treated for minimal hearing loss. In most cases people learn to adapt to the sound. The impact it has in pple is dreadful. I am part of a tinnitus support group in FB and the way it affects some people is awful.

@Analogous many people have tinnitus. What are the causes and what's the treatment?
@captrajesh there are several causes and it’s rarely a symptom of anything serious. Can be very irritating though, as alluded to by @Love4sound above.
Age, prolonged exposure to loud noise (more than 90db), ear infections, impacted ear wax, and a few rare medical conditions can cause tinnitus.
Here is a good site where it’s explained in easy to follow terms:

This is true. Someone in the family is hospitalized and offlate have started using headphones to recieve calls which was not the case during covid. It's more of a post covid complication.

Sorry to hear that you get infected.
Wish you a speedy recovery sir..!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back