Heatproofing your home with green construction net

Subcenter2009

Dear friends,
I have been using a novel method to reduce the sunlight heat falling on my open terrace.:cool:
I have tied some green net material (commonly used in building construction sites) across the terrace at a height of 12 feet.
I am using 5 strips to cover the whole open terrace (about 2000 sqft.)
It is 10 feet wide.
The net material can be taken down after summer and rolled up and stored till next summer.
I am using it for the last 6 years.
It costs only less than Rs. 2/= per square foot.:clapping:
I have permanently installed some thick steel wire and the net can be attached to this wire with plastic ties.( available at all hardware and electrical stores.)
There is also available some similar non-net material but, this has a chance of flapping violently during summer thundershowers because stormy wind exerts a great force so, I prefer the net material because it is more stable and less violent and allows half the air to pass through.
Try and see. I assure you it will make a considerable difference in indoor temperature and stuffiness during peak summer.
Your pet dogs and cats will thank you..
Even your air conditioner will be more efficient.
and, it is re-usable so will last a long long time.
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Nice .Good Info!!! and thank you for sharing this.
I've heard people saying to lay many Earth made Pots (Mann pannai in Tamil) over terrace to reduce the heat. But doing so, you cant able to use the terrace.But the green net may be good idea.

Good idea to have put it on the forum. I had thought it would be a well known product. It is very commonly used here in Nagpur where summers are burning hot.

And where are these Nets available in Chennai? I want to install immediately.

Thanks

Dear Venkat,
You can find several shops selling this green net at Moore Market complex and also at the extension of Moore market that is: Our Lady's Garden.
Plus, you won't have trouble finding it as all big Hardware stores and those dealing with Iron Rods stock the net.
Don't pay more than around Rs. 2 per sqft.
Hope this was useful to you.
Please post your findings on this page to help others.
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Dear RegeHA,
That shown in the site seems to be similar to the net I have in mind.
I think the price is unreal because this net is available wholesale in Moore Market in Chennai for Rs. 2/= per sqft.
So I don't know whether it would be wise to buy from online stores mainly because of the high price..
Hope you understand.
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Do you know what your net is made of? If it is like the stuff that fishermen use, it is probably Polypropylene. This stuff gets seriously degraded by sunlight (UV) exposure and will become brittle and fall apart. This may explain the price difference compared to something claimed to be "UV Stabilized."

On the other hand, the economics may still be on your side, even if you do have to replace every year or two.

Polypropylene rope has two qualities: it is cheap, and it floats. Fishermen usually use it for the former. The only marine use (as a yacht sailor) I ever had for it was for the latter... as a lifeline.

Back on shore, I wonder how much traditional thatch construction costs. Actually, we painted the terrace with heat/water-proof paint (and yes it makes a difference) but we need somewhere to go in the next flood.

The problem with using or building anything that simply shades the terrace is that we use a solar water heater, and I really, really want (can't afford it yet) solar power one day!

Thatched slanting roof is the best. The only issue is that it is expensive and may not look too good. I have two roofs to cover. I am looking at using the green net on the lower roof, and a thatched roof on the main roof.

Cheers

Good info!
To add more, there are three different varieties of the net available; 30%, 50% and 70% shade. This net is the same as the one they use in many a construction sites to cover the facade.
This comes in a roll. Is it 100' long? I'm not sure. These are available near Kandasamy temple, Flower Bazaar in Chennai

Painting the terrace with white paint also drastically cuts down the temperature inside the house. But if you've a roof garden and a few potted plants, then the white paint treatment to the terrace will roast the plants.

Net plus white paint combo would drastically reduce the heat transmission into the house.

Thatched slanting roof is the best. The only issue is that it is expensive and may not look too good. I have two roofs to cover. I am looking at using the green net on the lower roof, and a thatched roof on the main roof.

Cheers

Dear Venkat,
The green net is locally called "Shade Net"
Another thing: Thatched roofs are highly flammable and have to be dismantled before Diwali. Shade nets are not that flammable and are much safer.
Hope that helps..
Yours,
Subcenter2009

i have used this at home as well and its definitely made a difference. its called shade net and mainly used in farms as cover for plants. i put in the 75% net, which means it cuts out 75% of sunlight and lets through only 25%. reason for different percentages of shade is that certain plants have different requirements of sunlight

Reminds me of the time when I had put gigantic White chartpapers on all my glass on windows and doors.
Made an immediate reduction in heat inside the house.

It's not just the direct sunlight, but any light/radiation (IR) reflected from anywhere else - like next building, road, ground etc which heats up the house.

Another thing: Thatched roofs are highly flammable ... ...

Doh! :eek:

Whilst a lot of thatched roofs, from impoverished huts to posh-house-terrace rooms, seem to last years, this is a risk I am not prepared to take. Should have thought of it. Flood was bad enough: I certainly don't want fire in my life as well.

Thanks.

I have been using 70% shed net since few years in summer to cover direct sun light from east side big sliding windows especially in the morning till noon.

The good part is that you can watch outside but outsiders can't see inside easily throughout day.. So privacy. Like tinted glasses.

At night its completely opposite. ;) But you can roll up and tie.:clapping:

Good Idea. I was really thinking about painting my roof as the heat has become unbearable and the room with AC has been given for my parents to use.

5 Star Shine Shine Star 150sqmtr , Shade Net 50%: Amazon.in: Home & Kitchen

This seems a lot cheaper. approx. 1.7 rupees per square feet.

Question here is, do you use this stitched ? if you can post some pictures, if will be helpful

Dear GP,
I have tied some steel wire at a height of about 12 feet on both the sides of the terrace. The Shade net is fastened to this wire using readily available plastic cable ties which you can get at any electrical or hardware store. It is not stitched and I dismantle it and roll it up and store the net after summer.
Then I can resume using it as a Shuttle court.
Hope this helps..
Yours,
Subcenter2009

So long as I can remember, we used to do this at home and in our neighbourhood (in Trivandrum, Kerala) in the summer months, probably because we were interested in gardening and knew about the sun-screening property of shade nets. These come in various percentages, like 75%, 50% etc, the 50% being most common and value for money. It can be bought from any respectable gardening outlet. Go for a good product -- just looking at the netting will tell you the quality-- so that it lasts a few years, provided you will take it down and store it during the monsoons. A minimum height of say, two or three feet above the concrete slab is more than enough, provided the breeze can blow through; if it is strung up higher, naturally, you can walk around and use the area.

The lowering of the interior temperature is to be experienced!! Not only that, the building's absorption of heat is cut drastically, so that instead of cooling to bearable temperatures past midnight, the building interiors remain cool all through.

I keep wondering why people go for expensive and energy intensive solutions rather than exploring such simple and eco-friendly (not to speak of "pocket-friendly!") solutions.

Happy "netting" from an old-timer.

--UKP

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back