Hegel H90 or H95 or H120

Kumar442244

Hello FMs,
In a look out for a decently powered integrated amplifier for Totem Rainmakers. Was wondering if Hegel would be a good match.
While doing the initial research, found out that the Hegel is coming up with an upgraded version of H90 which is H95.
Has anyone heard these amps? would be great if there is a sizable difference between 90/95/120 in terms of specs and SQ?
Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Rainmaker needs a careful attention to system matching. Do not blind buy an amp. IMHO.
Yes Vinoth, This is what the idea is, at this upgrade.
Would you suggest a decent amp in the same price range?
Had my ears on Rega Elicit and Elex R, but after 1 week of listening Elex (Borrowed), I am finding them a little bright for my taste.
I am in no hurry and will do a proper due diligence before committing.
Would be a great gesture if any Hegel user in Bangalore can offer a demo with Totem?

Had my ears on Rega Elicit and Elex R, but after 1 week of listening Elex (Borrowed), I am finding them a little bright for my taste.
Would be a great gesture if any Hegel user in Bangalore can offer a demo with Totem?
Surprising that Rega pairing sounded bright!!
Did you use the CA DAC in the chain?
Or are the Totems just a pair of neutral/honest boxes?

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Surprising that Rega pairing sounded bright!!
Did you use the CA DAC in the chain?
Or are the Totems just a pair of neutral/honest boxes?

Cheers,
Raghu
Hello Raghu,
Yes. CA DAC was in the chain. CA is wolfson based DAC which inherently is warm in nature.
Agree, the totems are very neutral which sometimes gives the feeling of being bright. Rega being on the brighter side of neutral, is making the whole chain a bit bright

do re-look at your source once again...

its the whole chain ..a balanced chain will lead to great results..
Hello Oldmonk,
Its a plain vanilla CCA connected with CA DACMAGIC.
have tried with and without DACMAGIC and found the whole chain to be slightly bright.

Hmmm ...
CCA is not the ideal puck to check out a system. It is only capable of so much.
I feel it is on the livelier side of things. Convenient toy, but hopefully you tried laptop/USB as well.
Cheers,
Raghu

Agree raghu,
But hv tried the laptop/ USB as well along with foobar in win 10, it's almost the same.
May be I am looking for a slightly warmer presentation.

Hello Oldmonk,
Its a plain vanilla CCA connected with CA DACMAGIC.
have tried with and without DACMAGIC and found the whole chain to be slightly bright.

I would work on these first..

A correct source is a good foundation.

Once the basics are in place then magic can happen

Am no expert in computer audio or streaming so maybe other members can help.

Do try out another better streamer Dac combo in your chain

Who knows...a better source might make you retain your existing amp itself ?

But the reverse isn't true

Information flows ( obviously) from source to speakers.

TBH, The rainmakers sounded terrible with the Arcam combo as well. The speakers are really good but so sensitive in pairing, at the moment I don't have any straight suggestions but you could check with warm and powerful amps as Its hard to drive as well.

I have had a Naim Nait 5i with Totem Rainmakers in the past. It was a very sweet combination.
Yeah, have read few reviews that the Naim is a good match. However, was looking for an amp with atleast 80-100 WPC at 8 Ohms and has a pre-out for further power upgrade or Sub woofer addition

I would work on these first..

A correct source is a good foundation.

Once the basics are in place then magic can happen

Am no expert in computer audio or streaming so maybe other members can help.

Do try out another better streamer Dac combo in your chain

Who knows...a better source might make you retain your existing amp itself ?

But the reverse isn't true

Information flows ( obviously) from source to speakers.
Completely agree Oldmonk.
I am parallely in the process of upgrading the source with a good streamer. M looking at Raspberry Pi based streamer which I presume will be step above the CCA

parallely in the process of upgrading

go serially - 1 at a time.

the mind is then free from clutter.

If any Bangalore FM can lend you a good streamer ( and / or / combined ) - it will be great for you.

Hold the amp purchase till you are happy with the source. The speaker is fixed - the Totem Rainmakers ( they are supposed to be very good as well ) .

good luck !

Try Denon 1600 NE or higher.
Some one in this forum got a 2500 NE . I think the NE series with their single stage design and single pair devices are very high VFM with given features and DAC .The japan website has ton of details of these amps including design approaches .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back