Hello Folks!

hydra

Hi!
I've been going through posts in this forum for about a month a a guest. There's a very friendly and a very knowledgeable community here!

About me:
I've loved listening to music since I was a small kid. After listening to music from my Mom's mono tape-payer for years, my Dad bought me a Sony walkman when I was in the 7th standard. My parents had never really been into music (they still aren't) and so I never had the opportunity to listen to music in stereo till then! I was really smitten.

During my 10th standard vacation I built a very basic stereo amp with the help of my neighbour who worked in an electronics repair shop. Nearly all of my savings (from pocket money) went into it. When I say "built", I mean I went around with him to buy the components and then irritated him with questions as he soldered it all together in the evenings. I also "designed" a face-plate for the amp and got the local number-plate maker (plastics guy) to engrave and cut out a facsia for the amp. The amp was boxed in a wooden box I got made separately through a carpenter.

The amp was connected to a pair of no-name speakers I had my electronics-repairman-friend buy for me. The speakers went into boxes I got the carpenter to make. I didn't know then that the box dimensions mattered, so well, the best thing I can say about the boxes is that they looked good, painted in black :)

My walkman played through this setup for about 3 years before I was presented a BPL stereo by Dad. A few years later I got another BPL player that played CDs. During my graduation, I bought a Sony Discman. Many years later, after my post-graduation, I bought a Panasonic uh, "Hi-fi": AK-something something. I still have it at home somewhere. That was the last home-setup I'd ever bought for a long time.

I started work in my family business after my PG. The hours were long and hard. They still are *sigh* I've mostly listened to music since then through my iPod (4th Gen 20GB) and Shure E2C IEMs. And through the Altec Lansing ATP-3s running off a Creative Audigy2 NX (external Sound Card). I mostly listen to music when I walk in the mornings or when I'm at work. Since I work from home (the office is next-door to my house) I get home by 8-9PM and then the rest of the free time is dedicated to my wife and to watching movies. So I'd never really gotten into really enjoying music at home. Till yesterday.

I had been looking for a pair of good speakers to connect to my TV and for listening to music when I was at home (whenever I could) over the last few months. They had to be as small as possible as the "entertainment center" on which my TV is placed it quite a bit lacking for space. The room in my apartment is also quite a bit cramped for space.

After a bit of research I narrowed it down to the Audioengine A2s. I just got delivery of them yesterday. To say I love them is an understatement. In fact I'm already wondering if I should get something even better.

I'd visited hifivision.com quite a bit during my research and liked going though the posts here. It looks like I'll be getting unto listening to music at home quite a bit from now so I'm sure the information here will help me a lot in building my system. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to home audio so I look forward to learn a lot of stuff from you folks.

On a side note, I'm quite a bit into car audio (for some crazy reason the place I enjoy music the most is in my car). I have a decent setup in the car and I love showing it off :) I'll soon put up a thread in the car audio section with snaps of my setup.

About the kind of music I like, I mostly listen to Blues and Jazz (mostly female vocals) nowadays. But I do like most kinds of music and there is a lot of stuff from all genres that I listen to.

Sorry for the long winded post -- I tend to be that way when I write. Thanks for listening :)

Last edited:
Hydra, Welcome to HFV!
You have the same handle on tbhp right? Swift with some serious ICE setup?

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :)

Looks like I have quite a few friends here already!

@iaudio, you got it right. Only my handle there is hydrashok. BTW, I'm from Kochi too!

Welcome to the Forum, Hydra-Ashok ;). ...
Noooooooo... :D

have a great time here hydra.no doubt u will notice that we have quite a few petrolheads here as well ;).cheers

warm welcome hydra,

its quite evident from your intro that you have a very "discerning ear" for good sound. yes there are "pundits" here who will be more than pleased to share their vast knowledge of hifi. have fun !:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung 46 LED / Quad 909 amplifier / Quad 99 pre amp / AAD Phil Jones Vi 860 Towers / Creek evolution CD player / Yamaha RX 457 reciever / Space 6.1 home theatre / Sony DVD player / Norstone cables

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :)

Looks like I have quite a few friends here already!

@iaudio, you got it right. Only my handle there is hydrashok. BTW, I'm from Kochi too!

Noooooooo... :D

Yes I know, I was supposed to join you guys at Pizza hut on a Saturday for tbhp meet, never happened:D. nikkibike(swift) knows me.
My id is bmw_m5_titus:eek:

Welcome to HFV! That was a real nice intro :)

Cheers,
Shriram

welcome hydra -
psychotropic (on this forum) was looking out for you

Thanks, suri! Is psychotropic on TBHP too?

have a great time here hydra.no doubt u will notice that we have quite a few petrolheads here as well ;).cheers

Thanks, rallynut! Great to know that. I'm actually not a full on petrolhead -- am pretty dumb in the ways of engine-vengine, but I do love all things cars :)

warm welcome hydra,
its quite evident from your intro that you have a very "discerning ear" for good sound. yes there are "pundits" here who will be more than pleased to share their vast knowledge of hifi. have fun !:)

Thanks, Mukesh Bahri! I actually don't have that much of a gifted ear. I actually haven;t listened to a lot of good home audio setups to really get a reference point of what's really good. Most of my experience is with listening to a whole lot of car audio setups. My installer is also pretty much into home audio -- he does a lot of installs for some really serious audiophiles, so most of what I know about home audio is what I've heard from him. I really look forward to reading more and knowing more about home audio.

Yes I know, I was supposed to join you guys at Pizza hut on a Saturday for tbhp meet, never happened:D. nikkibike(swift) knows me.

I probably did not make it for that meet either heh, heh. I've not been able to participate that much in the offline meets over the last 2 years since I got married.

Welcome to HFV! That was a real nice intro :)

Thanks, shriram!

Hello & Welcome & nice loooong intro....ZZZ ... ZZZZZ...

Hahaha :) Thanks, fran_elite! Sorry for putting you to sleep :p

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back