Hello from a low fi guy

aks07

Goilkera. (Dist W Singhbhum - BNR Line) Jharkhand
Hello everybody. I am Ashok. Great to find and register in this forum. Hoping to learn and contribute meaningfully. My areas of interest include good old solid state and tube audio. I believe the audio chain should be as simple as possible and my choice of equipment reflect that. Thanks :)

Aks sirjee, you're certainly no lo-fi guy! ;) How's the single driver project going?

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing about your solid state & tube gear ...

And what about the DIY Subwoofer with Lambda Acoustics SB12 driver project.. eh...:D
You can't hide behind that " low fi " facde :)
Welcome abroad !

Welcome. I am sure you will have a blast on this forum. I certainly am and I joined just a while ago...

Shall hopefully catch up with you next time I am in Goa, wonderful and rocking city!!!

Thanks friends for the warm welcome. By lo-fi I meant deploying simple technologies for a VFM and often pleasant solution :)

?current system?
You might find it funny but really my ??current? system depends on the weather ! Now that we are approaching winter, it??s a DHT 845 SE amp. Actually calling my contraptions a system is a huge overstatement.:eek: They are usually work-in-progress ventures (some stretching for years !) and I am really beholden to my family for tolerating such ??systems? in the living room. Currently the 845 monoblock are driven by a breadboard 5842 tube line stage. Source is a modified vintage Philips TT. Speakers are vintage Sonodyne floorstanders. The 845??s drive them pretty well. Interconnects are made out of Belden CCTV cables and speaker wires are generic OFC cable. I am quite pleased with the setup. I use a DIY mains conditioner but not too sure if it??s of any help.

..How's the single driver project going?
Right now it??s hooked up to a 6550 SE amp. It was actually an ??in-between? project. I have a pair of FOSTEX FE206 for last few years but never really got around to building a cabinet for the same. But now I am determined to build frugal horn type cabinet this winter. That BOLTON single driver project was a little warm-up for the main event. ;)

? DIY Subwoofer ?
Oh yes and that too ! Mostly being used for HT duty. Thank for the welcome.

Nikhil-ji and moserw-ji
Thanks. Looking forward to a good time here.

...I have a pair of FOSTEX FE206 for last few years but never really got around to building a cabinet for the same. But now I am determined to build frugal horn type cabinet this winter...

Hi Aks,
Did you manage to get the cabinets built for your 206's?

Hi,

Ashok a warm welcome to the forum ! have a nice stay here ;) !

It seems you are pretty famous with being in the forum :eek:hyeah: !

Anyways hope to see you in action soon !

Currently the 845 monoblock are driven by a breadboard 5842 tube line stage. Source is a modified vintage Philips TT. Speakers are vintage Sonodyne floorstanders. The 845??s drive them pretty well. Interconnects are made out of Belden CCTV cables and speaker wires are generic OFC cable. I am quite pleased with the setup. I use a DIY mains conditioner but not too sure if it??s of any help.

Interesting, are you by any chance from Bangalore ;) ?? just curios,if so perhaps wouldn't mind if I wish to drop in sometime to check out the stuff or Invite you to do the same :)!

Regards.

ashok...are u by any chance from Orissa... seeing your profile picture i could not resist asking this question....hard to find a oriya Diyer..

Re: Hello from a low fi guy
Aks sirjee, you're certainly no lo-fi guy! How's the single driver project going?

Ahh Sharukh: Do I know you from my previous life as a keeda? Your voice sounds familiar

George

Hi Sharukh

Looks like a case of mistaken identity-Ashok and I spoke this evening and he told me that you were not the person I assumed you were.

Apologies!

George

You have to get to meet him in his lair! He is an outstanding and very generous host, ready play practical jokes :yahoo: on unwary people and both he and his wife are great fun to meet. I first met him 6-7 years ago face to face, thanks to diya, and we have been good friends since then.

He has been threatening a South India trip ever since then, but hasn't yet carried it out yet-sent his younger bro ( an extremely pleasant youngster) here instead. Hopefully he will come this winter, otherwise I will have to read out the Riot Act to him!

@ soundsgreat
Thanks. I seemed to have missed this thread and your warm welcome!
No I dont live in BLR, but do have a long pending (as George will attest) plans to visit. I have very keenly followed all your DIY creations and I am sure it will be a learning experience should you decide to ask me to see them ; )

@ sasmit
Yup. A very happy Oriya but B&B outside. What a pity, I was in BBSR last week on business and would have loved to say hello to you had I see this thread earlier : ( BTW diyer are a fading tribe, not just oriya diyr. Your work on the chip amps is absolutely stunning.

@ George
Sharukh is a nice bawa dikra. He would know some people you would have know from your XLRI days.

@ Cranky
Sir, are you the Adman-by-day-guitarist-by-night gentleman? Then I do know you from the diya days. Dont frequent there nowadays ofcource. Amazing insite you bring to this field.

BTW George has been more than just a good friend. He has helped me and my family during the past couple of years in medical emergencies. Cant thank him enough and do wish to place my appreciation on record. :clapping:

@GeorgeO: Aks is right, I'm a "nice (??) bawa dikra. My origins are in good ol Calcutta though. Not very far from Chandni Market Aks :)

Hi Ashok,

Greetings, to a great DIYer!

With you, and George, and Rajiv, here, this is the happening place!

Regards,
Viren

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back