Hello from Bangalore

chinoy

My story
As a kid I was fascinated by my dads music system. As kids we were never allowed to touch it.
It was purchased in 1979 when dad was in the IAF teaching Iraqi pilots how to fly Mig 21s.
Now in 2022 I want to re-create a music system that sounds something like his setup. The only item left with me is a Hitachi HT-350 turntable. The rest of the items were gifted to our maid servant when he shifted from Tata Nagar to a small flat in Bombay.
I did find the exact amp he owned on OLX but as in most cases it was all torn up inside with parts changed over the years. The amp he had was the Akai AM2200. If I can find an unmolested unit that would be my dream setup.

Put out a call for peoples audio junk. And was given a few amps. One was an Akai so repaired it. By replacing the STK2250/3042 pair. But it only lasted a month. So now trying to fix it using a gainclone.
The mistake I made was testing the various speakers and speaker projects people had dropped off. One of the speakers blew taking out the amp. So now I plan to do all the speaker testing with a cheap audio module. If it passes then move it to the Akai amp.
My quest is limited to class A or Class A/B amps only.
My dads amp was an akai. And the speaker were huge they had 15 inch woofers. Two tweeters and a midrange. And two knobs to control the cross over. It took 2 people to lift one speaker. Again this was gifted off back in the 90s.
I live in a small flat. So expect a true 100 watt RMS or even a 50 watt RMS should work.
What I loved about my dads setup was the Thump from the bass. If you put a glass in front of the speakers it would move the glass. I have no memory of the speaker model number but if I see it I will recognise it. Here too these speakers are so old than anything you find in India has been butchered / re-coned multiple times. Im hoping a good 10 inch woofer will give me something similar in the base dept.
Just chasing foolish childhood dreams. As a mental therapy / hobby. Maybe something to do in my twilight years lol.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining.
Interesting to read your personal journey into the hobby.

Are you mostly into vintage/classic gear?
Nice to see that you are into doing a little work on the gear yourself.
I would like to one day get more comfortable with doing some DIY repairs or mods.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back