Hello from Bengaluru, need recommendations on streaming

PuppyDaddy

Hi everyone, I‘m new to the forums great to be a part of such a diverse group of audio lovers. My own journey started in 2001 when I got my first stereo system as a gift and I have been hooked to good quality audio since.

Right now my main setup is a home theater cum stereo which plays from a Squeezebox that I picked up almost 10 years ago. Amazing piece of tech that keeps evolving with time.

I’m setting up a second streaming rig for my den room where I want to add a Raspberry Pi based streaming device. I have ordered a Pi4 4gb and case but was wondering what kind of DAC to get along with it. A little google action suggested that HiFiBerry DAC is really well regarded but I can’t find any place to source it from. Any suggestions on alternate DACs or a reasonably priced vendor for HiFiBerry?

Cheers,
pd

Allo has better dacs like Boss or Boss2.. you can search in web for more details. You can buy it locally through Fabtolab or waretohouse, both are based in Bangalore.

Hi everyone, I‘m new to the forums great to be a part of such a diverse group of audio lovers. My own journey started in 2001 when I got my first stereo system as a gift and I have been hooked to good quality audio since.

Right now my main setup is a home theater cum stereo which plays from a Squeezebox that I picked up almost 10 years ago. Amazing piece of tech that keeps evolving with time.

I’m setting up a second streaming rig for my den room where I want to add a Raspberry Pi based streaming device. I have ordered a Pi4 4gb and case but was wondering what kind of DAC to get along with it. A little google action suggested that HiFiBerry DAC is really well regarded but I can’t find any place to source it from. Any suggestions on alternate DACs or a reasonably priced vendor for HiFiBerry?

Cheers,
pd
Hey PD, Great to know that you are setting up a 2nd system. I have tried both Pi 3B+ and 4B+ and still have the both with me. I always prefer the 3B over the 4.
4 is definitely fast and has better build than the 3 series but sound wise I have always liked the 3B.
Not had great experience with DAC hat’s so I prefer an external dac any day.
If you are willing to spend for quality audio, I recommend going for a good R2R Dac.
Some of these delta sigma dac’s (SMSL SU9/SU10 or Topping E30) are very good and does a fantastic job for its money and can give some of the well known Dac’s run for its money as well.
If possible get a 3B also and try comparing it with 4B.
Just in case you happen to have a laid back speakers then 4B all the way.

Regards,
Som

Hey PD, Great to know that you are setting up a 2nd system. I have tried both Pi 3B+ and 4B+ and still have the both with me. I always prefer the 3B over the 4.
4 is definitely fast and has better build than the 3 series but sound wise I have always liked the 3B.
Not had great experience with DAC hat’s so I prefer an external dac any day.
If you are willing to spend for quality audio, I recommend going for a good R2R Dac.
Some of these delta sigma dac’s (SMSL SU9/SU10 or Topping E30) are very good and does a fantastic job for its money and can give some of the well known Dac’s run for its money as well.
If possible get a 3B also and try comparing it with 4B.
Just in case you happen to have a laid back speakers then 4B all the way.

Regards,
Som

Thanks Som, very helpful suggestions. I will be using the Pi as a media server also to stream video to my fire stick, so kinda want something fast. Let’s see, if the sound is not the best then I might try to get hold of a 3 to compare.

Regarding DACs what kind of issues did you experience with the HATs? Of the options you listed, are these available locally or need to be imported?

Cheers,
pd

Thanks a lot for the pointers @premoddev, will start looking into these
IQAudio Dac Pro is also available locally.. Cost wise its cheaper than Allo BOSS but not sure how it compares in sound quality, though its using a newer version dac chip from the same family.

IQAudio Dac Pro is also available locally.. Cost wise its cheaper than Allo BOSS but not sure how it compares in sound quality, though its using a newer version dac chip from the same family.

has anybody heard this IQAudio Dac pro??

IQaudio is one of the older dac makers for raspberry Pi. But last December the company got acquired by raspberry Pi and now all their products are available through raspberry pi's sales channels.
You can read more about that here,

I never heard it, so can't comment on the quality.

Cheers,
pd
Get a 6th/7th gen NUC (real cheap), Cerelon based will be sufficient and put Volumio on it. That's all, you are all set. This will seamlessly play your local music collection/Spotify/Tidal/Qobuz.

I recommend the blusound node 2i. Great features and replaces your streamer and has multi room capabilities.

Pi + DAC

Welcome to the dark side :cool: OP; just curious what's the rest of your system chain? Sound quality is subjective, if your chain is something like mine when I was a beginner (entry-level speakers ) then let us know your budget and forum can help better. There are a lot of options, AP Swara posted above is a great option, you may start here for a wider range of options https://www.headphonezone.in/collections/desktop-dac?sort=price-ascending

Welcome to the dark side :cool: OP; just curious what's the rest of your system chain? Sound quality is subjective, if your chain is something like mine when I was a beginner (entry-level speakers ) then let us know your budget and forum can help better. There are a lot of options, AP Swara posted above is a great option, you may start here for a wider range of options https://www.headphonezone.in/collections/desktop-dac?sort=price-ascending

I‘m a Scandi kinda guy. I have a pair of oldish Jamo X3Ms which I got almost 20 years ago and need to be repaired which will being powered by a Denon PMA amplifier.

has anybody heard this IQAudio Dac pro??
When it comes to audio quality, the IQ Audio DAC pro is an exceptional product that deserves an attention. This gives everything and more for a reasonable price point, with lot of features like wood accents. Plus, for those who are looking for simplicity their devices this one has both plug and play functionality as well as high fidelity sound performance.

Cheers,
pd
Hello @PuppyDaddy
Have a look at pi2aes streamer from pi2design. They are also coming with mercury one box streamer with screen.
I own pi2aes with rpi4gb & Allo shanti. Its very versatile & value for money & performs very good.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back