Help and Ideas on how to sell off my music system needed.

Shivam

I have built up my system over the years, based around Acoustic Portrait's active system. At present it consists of a whole lot of things and accessories. Some of them are in use where as others are just lying around. Recently, I had to move to a very small apartment and I don't think that I will be able to enjoy the system for the next three years or even more. I am therefore faced with two tough choices - 1. Keep the system and somehow connect it up in one corner, convince the family about its need, somehow trying to squeeze in the music. 2. Sell the complete system.

As of now, I have connected some of the things and I do listen to some music in the background at times. However, it seems that I will have to sell off my complete system. There are a few problems with this thought. I stay near Bhimtal in Uttarakhand and not many forum members or even audio-enthusiasts outside the forum live in the region. Shipping such a large setup will be expensive and risky (I have had some really bad experiences with even the well known courier services). How do forum members from remote regions manage to sell their stuff?

I have decided to sell the system in few large lots. I am thinking of AP preamp with crossover, power amps, speakers, speaker stands and REL subs in one set. NAS with hard discs, Musical Fidelity M1Clic, a universal remote, High-gain wifi antenna in second set. DBX Driverack with calibration mic, RCA to Balanced and reverse interconnects, USB-serial port connector for running DBX software on computer in the third set. There after all my audio CDs (about 200 in number) and a NAD CD player in the fourth set. Is this a good strategy? Lots of tourists travel from Delhi and NCR region to this part of the country and maybe some audio enthusiasts can purchase the lots and take it back in their own car.

Also, where can I sell the CDs. As far as I remember hifivision did not permit sales of audio CDs. What about a wooden rack that I had got made for the system using teakwood and in a manner to reduce resonances?

Need help from fellow members in guiding me on how to go about this. (I will try to convince my family about the need to continue with the system but apart from the family, space is also a concern.)

As far as I remember hifivision did not permit sales of audio CDs.
Is that so? We regularly see LPs listed for sale on the forum. Then why not CDs? Esp. CDs with documentary proof of purchase?

As for the equipment sale, how about hiring storage space (a room should suffice) in Delhi/NCR for a month or requesting a relative/friend for the same, arranging for a tempo to ship the entire system there, listing simultaneously on the forum and other platforms, and then shipping ex Delhi through courier to the buyers? Except speakers other items should be easy to courier. You might get buyer for the speakers in the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that so? We regularly see LPs listed for sale on the forum. Then why not CDs? Esp. CDs with documentary proof of purchase?
My oldest CD is from the time when they were newly launched. Having documentary proof of purchase is impossible for most. From what I recall sale of CDs here was not permitted for the fear of piracy. Not sure about the present policies.

My oldest CD is from the time when they were newly launched. Having documentary proof of purchase is impossible for most. From what I recall sale of CDs here was not permitted for the fear of piracy. Not sure about the present policies.
I have a bought of load of audio cds here. Not sure if the rules have changed since then.

I have built up my system over the years, based around Acoustic Portrait's active system. At present it consists of a whole lot of things and accessories. Some of them are in use where as others are just lying around. Recently, I had to move to a very small apartment and I don't think that I will be able to enjoy the system for the next three years or even more. I am therefore faced with two tough choices - 1. Keep the system and somehow connect it up in one corner, convince the family about its need, somehow trying to squeeze in the music. 2. Sell the complete system.

As of now, I have connected some of the things and I do listen to some music in the background at times. However, it seems that I will have to sell off my complete system. There are a few problems with this thought. I stay near Bhimtal in Uttarakhand and not many forum members or even audio-enthusiasts outside the forum live in the region. Shipping such a large setup will be expensive and risky (I have had some really bad experiences with even the well known courier services). How do forum members from remote regions manage to sell their stuff?

I have decided to sell the system in few large lots. I am thinking of AP preamp with crossover, power amps, speakers, speaker stands and REL subs in one set. NAS with hard discs, Musical Fidelity M1Clic, a universal remote, High-gain wifi antenna in second set. DBX Driverack with calibration mic, RCA to Balanced and reverse interconnects, USB-serial port connector for running DBX software on computer in the third set. There after all my audio CDs (about 200 in number) and a NAD CD player in the fourth set. Is this a good strategy? Lots of tourists travel from Delhi and NCR region to this part of the country and maybe some audio enthusiasts can purchase the lots and take it back in their own car.

Also, where can I sell the CDs. As far as I remember hifivision did not permit sales of audio CDs. What about a wooden rack that I had got made for the system using teakwood and in a manner to reduce resonances?

Need help from fellow members in guiding me on how to go about this. (I will try to convince my family about the need to continue with the system but apart from the family, space is also a concern.)
Hi
My request ( not suggestion) is to keep all that you have bought. You have collected those over the years and IMO you can never find durable and good stuff in future such as you must have at present. Therefore, selling those may drag you in to another problem. For sure you can't buy such reliable stuff even spending your hard earned money. Again in future the cost of the stuff which you have will be astronomical. Perhaps after some years you may not consider buying stuff spending hefty amount as you may have some other things to attend upon seriously. I would keep all these as in future I shall listen to music just as I am doing now and in past I had done so. If you have a good friend in your vicinity , you may request him to keep those for three years. When you can arrange a spacious place in future, take those from your friend and place them according to your choice.
Regards

I second Bhaskar, Use whatever you can right now. Store rest. 3 years is not a long time.

Also, you will get a second hand price right now, After some time you will need to pay full and increased price when you go out in the market to purchase.

More, One spends considerable time and sweat in acquiring gear, we also form kind of bond with gear we love. And as per your recent posts you seem to be in love with your current setup. Keep it Bro.

Hi
My request ( not suggestion) is to keep all that you have bought. You have collected those over the years and IMO you can never find durable and good stuff in future such as you must have at present. Therefore, selling those may drag you in to another problem. For sure you can't buy such reliable stuff even spending your hard earned money. Again in future the cost of the stuff which you have will be astronomical. Perhaps after some years you may not consider buying stuff spending hefty amount as you may have some other things to attend upon seriously. I would keep all these as in future I shall listen to music just as I am doing now and in past I had done so. If you have a good friend in your vicinity , you may request him to keep those for three years. When you can arrange a spacious place in future, take those from your friend and place them according to your choice.
Regards

That's what I have been feeling too all the time. There's no other place where I can keep the stuff. Any suggestions on how I should be storing the things? Should I switch it on from time to time to keep the capacitors in shape? How frequently should I be doing so?

I second Bhaskar, Use whatever you can right now. Store rest. 3 years is not a long time.

Also, you will get a second hand price right now, After some time you will need to pay full and increased price when you go out in the market to purchase.

More, One spends considerable time and sweat in acquiring gear, we also form kind of bond with gear we love. And as per your recent posts you seem to be in love with your current setup. Keep it Bro.

Yes, I do like my system a lot. Maybe I will keep the core system and let go the other stuff which I can purchase again later on if needed.

That's what I have been feeling too all the time. There's no other place where I can keep the stuff. Any suggestions on how I should be storing the things? Should I switch it on from time to time to keep the capacitors in shape? How frequently should I be doing so?

Yes, I do like my system a lot. Maybe I will keep the core system and let go the other stuff which I can purchase again later on if needed.
Try to keep those in a safe place. Also do use a soft cloth to clean dust regularly and switch on atleast once or twice in a month other wise those will not be in perfect working condition.

My dad had to make the same call when he moved from living in a huge bunglow while working for the Tatas. to when he moved to fly for Reliance. Where he had to move to a tiny flat in Bombay.
He left the complete system behind for the maid and her family.
Till today both of us regret it. At the time I was in Bangalore. So could not pick it up. Should have paid for it to be shipped to Bangalore.
My 2 cents find a friend or relative who can hold onto it for a few years.
I have a few friends in Bangalore who life half their time in India and half in the US. They just leave their systems with a friend till they return. Your never going to recover what you invested in it.

At today's inflation rate anything apart from cash has more appreciation. Retain your appreciating asset if you really plan to use it again ( 3 years is not that long)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back