[Help] Assembling Mauro Penasa MyRef Rev C kit

shrayv

Hi,

I intend to buy the Mauro Penasa MyRef Rev C kit sold by linuxguru. I have no experience/knowledge to build one.

Would like to know if someone would be able to build/assemble one?

I'm from Chennai.

Many thanks,
Shray

Last edited:
Would like to know if someone would be able to build/assemble one?

I'm from Chennai.

Matthew Cyriac in Adyar may be able to professionally assemble it for you. I can't find Matthew's contact # right now, but Capt. Rajesh in this forum may have his contact info.

Matthew Cyriac in Adyar may be able to professionally assemble it for you. I can't find Matthew's contact # right now, but Capt. Rajesh in this forum may have his contact info.

I've got the amp assembled by Mathew Syriac, who has an electronics repair workshop at Adyar. He has done good job. He did a professional job with no messing around. The moment we finished soldering, we connected to the source via a pot and connected to speakers; The amp started singing. PM me if you require his number.

I've got the amp assembled by Mathew Syriac, who has an electronics repair workshop at Adyar. He has done good job. He did a professional job with no messing around. The moment we finished soldering, we connected to the source via a pot and connected to speakers; The amp started singing. PM me if you require his number.

Hi Capt. Rajesh,

Thanks for the information. I live in Besant Nagar, Adyar is next door.

I have a few questions:

1) How much did it cost to get the entire set assembled and if possible the breakup of the cost?

2) I am planning to get the amplifier built in two separate chassis. Would it make a difference in the SQ?

3) What components need to be purchased / sourced apart from the kit to assemble the amplifier?

4) Would the amps drive a 8 ohm speaker?

Many thanks,
Shray

Last edited:
2) I am planning to get the amplifier built in two separate chassis. Would it make a difference in the SQ?
It will not make any difference. But will wait for Siva's answer as with Audiophile hobby one can not be 100% sure. I will suggest if you are on a budget make one chassis only and with money buy good quality other components like pot, speaker connectors etc.
3) What components need to be purchased / sourced apart from the kit to assemble the amplifier?
You will need Transformer (24-0-24), Volume pot. power switch, Cabinet, Speaker connectors, Heatsink, etc. Your first question about cost depends on how much you are willing to spend on different quality of above mentioned parts.
This may help you http://www.hifivision.com/diy/11878-mauros-myreference-rev-c-building-queries-guide.html
Yes

Last edited:
Thanks Hiten.

Have a couple of more queries

1) I intend to use a old Sony hifi system as the pre-amp. Would later purchase a dedicated pre-amp / dac+pre-amp. In case i want to add a sub-woofer to the setup, how should i go about it?
2) What should be the power of the transformer and brand? I heard Miracle from Banglaore is a good choice.
3) Since this is a power amp, could the amp be built without the volume pot or having this makes more sense?

I am not familiar with the terminology. Apologies for the errors.

Many thanks,
Shray

Regarding Question 3) and 1) Dont know how you will use sony preamp but you will need volume control for that.

Regarding transformer as mentioned in the link given in the previous post it is 24-0-24 V and 5A transformer.

Sorry for the late reply. I had to search old threads to answer your query and both my office and home internet connections have been giving me problems for sustained browsing. Here are the answers to your queries.

1) How much did it cost to get the entire set assembled and if possible the breakup of the cost?

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/11495-group-buy-mauro-penasa-myref-rev-c-kit-4.html#post190194

May not be commensurate with the additional cost i.e. one additional chassis, one additional trafo etc.

I think Hiten listed them already. Chassis, Power on/off switch, Power cord, RCA plugs, Speaker binding posts, Fuse, Legs (studs? Can't recall the apt word) to fix on to the chassis.

Sure they can. Higher the easier I guess.

Hope this helps.

also you will need the power supply caps 4 nos , they are not included in the kit. I used 12000 microfarad/63v

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back