Need Help to restore a SMSL AD18 amp

MasTerasTrix

Hello Members,
I would like your suggestions on how to go about restoring a SMSL AD18 amplifier that got burnt in an external fire. The internal board of the amp is fine but a few parts were destroyed and i would like to get it to work after getting it repaired. I have tried asking for help in overseas forums in vain coz most of the guys there just ask me to throw this away and buy a new one.So i would like your guidance here as I am sure that it can be restored provided i find audio enthusiasts who can guide me .I am posting pictures of the condition of the amp so that you get a clear idea about the condition of the amp.

Would also like to divide the issues I'm facing into different sections as this would make it streamlined and not mix it all it all up. After opening up the amp I noticed that these were the issues.

1. POWER SOCKET
The power brick that came with this also got destroyed and the pin was stuck in the power socket on the amp.I used force and somehow got the pin out, however some melted plastic still remains and there's no way I can remove that.so I'm sure that i will have to replace it . After its replaced can I use another power brick that i have of 24vdc3a plugged into it to check if the amp is working.

2. Female Banana sockets
The female Banana sockets are burnt as shown the pics, so i will have to replace them with new ones.

3. Display screen
The entire display was melted and shapeless ,i managed to sand it down to a flat surface,yet I'm not sure if it will work after i try to power the amp. I know that it's a 1.44" TFT display that's used, but m not sure what kind would fit into this and i don't just want to buy something that will go to waste. Can you suggest an alternate screen that I can use that will do the basic function.

4. VOLUME KNOB / POTENTIOMETER
I am sure that the volume knob or potentiometer has to be changed as it's not working the way it should. Normally it could do two things 1. Turn volume up and down, 2. I was able to press it and select different options like BT, coax, settings etc.
But now it just turns ok and I'm not able to press it down like it should normally. I have also asked so many people as to what such a pot is called,but no one seems to know. If you could please help me with what such a potentiometer is called ,one where you can press it to select options and then just release it to change volume.

Also would you have any idea about where i could order such spares from as i live in Bangalore . I have tried some shops but they didn't have what I needed. kindly suggest any websites that I can order all these Spares from along with the 24V power brick.

Or do you suggest I just take it to some genuine technician who can look into it and repair it. Would you suggest someone in Bangalore who is genuine so that i could take it over and get it fixed.
Please forgive me if my questions sounded dumb n stupid as I'm a newbie into the hobby and have limited knowledge about electronics.
Even your smallest suggestion is highly appreciated as i would need all the help that I can get here .

Attachments

• 16660688593513706232331359953844.jpg
    16660688593513706232331359953844.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1666068916044490383299337631412.jpg
    1666068916044490383299337631412.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 16660691347032088056714088742517.jpg
    16660691347032088056714088742517.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 24
Hello Members,
I would like your suggestions on how to go about restoring a SMSL AD18 amplifier that got burnt in an external fire. The internal board of the amp is fine but a few parts were destroyed and i would like to get it to work after getting it repaired. I have tried asking for help in overseas forums in vain coz most of the guys there just ask me to throw this away and buy a new one.So i would like your guidance here as I am sure that it can be restored provided i find audio enthusiasts who can guide me .I am posting pictures of the condition of the amp so that you get a clear idea about the condition of the amp.

Would also like to divide the issues I'm facing into different sections as this would make it streamlined and not mix it all it all up. After opening up the amp I noticed that these were the issues.

1. POWER SOCKET
The power brick that came with this also got destroyed and the pin was stuck in the power socket on the amp.I used force and somehow got the pin out, however some melted plastic still remains and there's no way I can remove that.so I'm sure that i will have to replace it . After its replaced can I use another power brick that i have of 24vdc3a plugged into it to check if the amp is working.

2. Female Banana sockets
The female Banana sockets are burnt as shown the pics, so i will have to replace them with new ones.

3. Display screen
The entire display was melted and shapeless ,i managed to sand it down to a flat surface,yet I'm not sure if it will work after i try to power the amp. I know that it's a 1.44" TFT display that's used, but m not sure what kind would fit into this and i don't just want to buy something that will go to waste. Can you suggest an alternate screen that I can use that will do the basic function.

4. VOLUME KNOB / POTENTIOMETER
I am sure that the volume knob or potentiometer has to be changed as it's not working the way it should. Normally it could do two things 1. Turn volume up and down, 2. I was able to press it and select different options like BT, coax, settings etc.
But now it just turns ok and I'm not able to press it down like it should normally. I have also asked so many people as to what such a pot is called,but no one seems to know. If you could please help me with what such a potentiometer is called ,one where you can press it to select options and then just release it to change volume.

Also would you have any idea about where i could order such spares from as i live in Bangalore . I have tried some shops but they didn't have what I needed. kindly suggest any websites that I can order all these Spares from along with the 24V power brick.

Or do you suggest I just take it to some genuine technician who can look into it and repair it. Would you suggest someone in Bangalore who is genuine so that i could take it over and get it fixed.
Please forgive me if my questions sounded dumb n stupid as I'm a newbie into the hobby and have limited knowledge about electronics.
Even your smallest suggestion is highly appreciated as i would need all the help that I can get here .
I feel for you friend and deeply so.

If you insist on repairing it, follow the steps below :
1) say a prayer🙏.
2) go to step 1.

Seriously, not sure how intense the flames were but there maybe/must be damage inside too due to heat as well. A genuine tech who is willing to spend time on this is needed. TBH not sure how reliable it would be once repaired. Maybe the cost of parts and labour may be higher than a new amp.

Be prepared mentally to buy a new one.

I feel for you friend and deeply so.

If you insist on repairing it, follow the steps below :
1) say a prayer🙏.
2) go to step 1.

Seriously, not sure how intense the flames were but there maybe/must be damage inside too due to heat as well. A genuine tech who is willing to spend time on this is needed. TBH not sure how reliable it would be once repaired. Maybe the cost of parts and labour may be higher than a new amp.

Be prepared mentally to buy a new one.
Evening Manek.....You are indeed so very kind with your words. As per suggestion from another FM who asked me to check if the amp was turning on first, i went ahead and changed the power socket and plugged in a 24V brick from another amp and to my surprise the Amp came to life with the screen lighting up on the edges like a halo. Nothing was visible as it was burnt though. As per his suggestion I'm going to change the banana sockets next and try hunting for that same kind of potentiometer in Bangalore or online.
Have spoken to Kelly from SMSL who was sweet enough to offer to send me a display as she said it was custom made for the company and i might not find it elsewhere. So will wait for it meanwhile.
Thanks a million for your time and kind words.

Evening Manek.....You are indeed so very kind with your words. As per suggestion from another FM who asked me to check if the amp was turning on first, i went ahead and changed the power socket and plugged in a 24V brick from another amp and to my surprise the Amp came to life with the screen lighting up on the edges like a halo. Nothing was visible as it was burnt though. As per his suggestion I'm going to change the banana sockets next and try hunting for that same kind of potentiometer in Bangalore or online.
Have spoken to Kelly from SMSL who was sweet enough to offer to send me a display as she said it was custom made for the company and i might not find it elsewhere. So will wait for it meanwhile.
Thanks a million for your time and kind words.
UPDATE ( To avoid additional posts) - THE AD18 IS UP & RUNNING JUST LIKE IT CAME OUT OF THE BOX.
Thanks to FMs who helped me pump life back into this tiny amp with their suggestions about steps i need to follow since this was a DIY.
A shoutout to FM@mbhangui and FM@manek for their time and support without whom this would not be possible.

UPDATE ( To avoid additional posts) - THE AD18 IS UP & RUNNING JUST LIKE IT CAME OUT OF THE BOX.
Thanks to FMs who helped me pump life back into this tiny amp with their suggestions about steps i need to follow since this was a DIY.
A shoutout to FM@mbhangui and FM@manek for their time and support without whom this would not be possible.
You are most welcome !
Told you prayers would work 😃👍

Back