Help! Cant have floor-standers, want the best Movie setup for 1.4L

That is not entirely accurate nominal impedance(4,6,8 ohms) will not tell you how much louder your speaker would play that depends on other factors.
Although what that will tell you is what kind of an amplifier you need to drive it with.If its a 6 or an 8 ohm fairly efficient speaker it would sound good with a receiver.
If its a 4 ohm speaker it might need a power amplifier since there are lot of sudden impedance dips when the bass hits and thats why you need a quality amplifier to be able to have enough power during these impedance dips.

Sensitivity of a speaker would also tell you more about the speaker whether it is easy to drive or hard. 90db and above are considered efficient and mid line receivers power them fine.

Buddy...

Do you mean to say, that a 4Ohms speaker, require special power amps...???
Then what about the amps, that offers, range of 4-8 Ohms, and what about the speakers which have the 4-8 range impedance..

Anyways, which amplifiers do you suggest for driving 4 Ohms speakers...???

Buddy...

Do you mean to say, that a 4Ohms speaker, require special power amps...???
Then what about the amps, that offers, range of 4-8 Ohms, and what about the speakers which have the 4-8 range impedance..

Anyways, which amplifiers do you suggest for driving 4 Ohms speakers...???

I said it 'might' need an amplifier.
Try an experiment get hold of speakers which have sensitivity below 88 and are 4 ohm. Try it with a mid to high end receiver and you will notice as u reach high listening volumes the treble will shound harsher and harsher.
Now take the same speakers run them with a power amplifier and see how much headroom you would have.With a good amplifier your speakers would give before the amplifier does.

Technically all amplifiers sound the same or very very similar till they are being driven of their limits Its a face that 8 ohm speakers are the easiest to drive.
But once you talk about high spl levels you need a decent amplifier or the treble just becomes harsh rather than the overall frequencies getting louder

And the switch you see on the back of some receivers for 4, 6 or 8 ohm setting never use that. It limits the dynamic peaks the amplifier can provide so that the low impedance dips dont overdrive the amp inside the receiver and burn it.
You would be definitely losing some quality by using that limiter

peace
satish

Are there any sub-sat THX speakers anyone knows of ? small enough to be wall mounted ?

By the way audiodelic how did u source the HSU research sub?? Any dealers in india any idea on pricing?

Are there any sub-sat THX speakers anyone knows of ? small enough to be wall mounted ?

By the way audiodelic how did u source the HSU research sub?? Any dealers in india any idea on pricing?

I doubt its available in India. I bought it in the u.s and got it shipped there by a third party shipper.

Hi,

THX is good, but getting a certification cost money. So not all manufacturers of audio equipment go for THX. This cost may be fine with big companies, but small companies cannot afford it. The way the industry is laid out, most of the electronics companies are large companies while speaker manufacturers are small companies. Hence, you will find that a very less percentage of **GOOD SPEAKERS** have THX certification. Also, THX is losing its marketing charm nowadays. (Audyssey is the new marketing buzz-word in receivers).

So, if you are buying electronics, its fine to look for certification. But for speakers, you will cut yourself out of some value speakers if you start looking for THX certification.

Also, on the subject of movie speakers and music speakers, I believe that speakers good for music will play good for movies. However, the other way round may not be true. One good example, I can give is about bass. The way drums should sound (bass for music) and the way an explosion (bass for movies) should sound are different. When talking about speakers (or even sub-woofers) the guiding criteria for movies is bass extension. How deep and loud can the sound go. Music requires some additional criteria such as: How quickly the bass dies out i.e. timing. An explosion may overhang without any detrimental effect. But an overhang on drums is not acceptable.

Having said that there are many good movie speakers which are good music speakers. However, there are some good movie speakers which are not good for music. So, the speaker is a speaker concept does not work for me. (I am a music first person :))

So, listen to the speakers you intend to buy using the material you intend to listen (movies or music) before actually buying.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

My replies in red text

Yes THX specified this you also use monopoles depending on the room as per THX spec.

Lakshmant,

I was trying to explain that a speaker that performs well for Music will do justice to movies as well. I am not saying that THX specifies speakers to accentuate specific freq. ranges. I meant - Some speakers based on their design, fabrication etc., will tend to accentuate some frequencies- therefore you should look for speakers that are neutral.

Re: THX or No THX?

Lakshmant good article on THX .. hmmmm but two divided opinions here, Thx good for movies & music or THX speakers only good enough for movies..
Bipolar as surrounds shouldnt be a problem in my case..Anyone have similar HT setups at home would love to hear from them..!!

THX is a standard that came into existance for movies and thereafter for music videos.
Pure music in most cases is always stereo. e.g an indian classical vocal.
A DTS/DD encoding may enhance the experience by recording it in a different format.

THX certified speakers should be able to play good music as well. How you want to enjoy your music is a personal preference. If I'm playing a carnatic vocal, I will use the pure direct mode and use stereo for listening. If I'm listening to a rock concert or say a Eagles Live, I'd prefer to use the native recording format of the DVD or DTS/DD etc.,

I'm using bipolars for Rear surrounds in my HT setup ( Wharfedale Diamond 9.5, 9CS, WH-2 surrounds ), and find it quite good.

Last edited:
Hey Buddy (Bun999)

Did you auditioned Q Acoustics & Mordaunt Short & Ushers & Wharfedale...???

Sagar told me that you requested for Alumni Series in Mordaunt Short...???
Bro, that series is not that good as Avant Series is....???

The 903i bookshelfes or wall mounted speakers are good....

Do let me know about all 4 of your demos...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

hey mirdul,
thats right i spoke to sagar abt q accoustics and alumni, but when i go there i will hear all the setups he has..including the warfadales i couldnt make the time to meet him, have been kinda busy lately.. will go soon thou.. & def will keep you posted.
thanks

hey mirdul,
thats right i spoke to sagar abt q accoustics and alumni, but when i go there i will hear all the setups he has..including the warfadales i couldnt make the time to meet him, have been kinda busy lately.. will go soon thou.. & def will keep you posted.
thanks

Bro...

Y are you looking at Alumni Series, whereas Avant-i series is much better, and price difference is even not much...
Anyways, when you will go for demo, try Avant-i Series also...

Q Acoustics, even has launched New "i" series, that sounds better than normal series, and is just a bit highly priced than normal series...

Wharfedale, try for a demo at Vector Systems...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back