Help Choosing drivers

thenvk

Hi All,

I have just finished my DIY Sub woofer and it sounds too good :yahoo:.

Now I am planing to Do pair of Two Way Towers, which completes my hunt for Speakers.

Now I want the gurus over here to help me choosing the drivers.
Looking at a budget of 4K max for pair of drivers. Following are the requirements.

1. Impedance 4ohm.
2. Power handling should be minimum 80W RMS.
3. Miminum size accepted is 6 inch max 12 inch.
4. No need for bass rich drivers as I have sub. (Mid range and Tweeters are to be included)

Looking at locally available drivers here in INDIA. Not much in to importing them as the shipping would be more.
Bolton,Vifa (TC18WG49-08) from Corrson or some other brand as per the expert opinions. I can get decent drivers here but the technical info will not be provided for them. So difficult to calculate the Box volume and all that.

Please tell me your opinions/Experience on the above drivers.

thanks
vamsi.

Some one please reply... :sad::sad:

I found a dealer locally who sells bolton woofers. Can some one tell me whether they provide the technical details like Xmax,Qms,Qes etc.

Please some one who already took these help me...:sad:

Bolton makes absolutely crappy speakers and their measurements are not available and if available are not consistent.

Try Peerless speaker drivers. They are quite good. They are available in Lamington Road in Mumbai. Check their website as well.

Bangalore had a dealer called Corrson stocking Vifa drivers, but they have stopped operating I guess. Check for their website as well.

Hi,

First off please mention the city you are from !! it helps us recommend or suggest a proper solution then a generic one which check here or there and may be it'll be available here or there etc etc..... which you yourself can do and no need for us to tell you all that !!

Now coming to the actual thing, As Anil has mentioned the drivers from bolton are no good ! The Peerless is an option and given the case such yours (with budget and non imported) they are best option ! But don't bother with their site and what you get and what you see in the site are two different things !

Corrson closed DIY activities to concentrate on some other things,so not much of use bothering with them !

Regards.

One of the biggest drawbacks of Bolton is that they use cheap foam surrounds in their woofers. They become tatters in no time, leaving the woofer cone hanging around on it's own....

I had earlier used Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories PARTS EXPRESS, Speakers, Speaker Parts, Guitar speakers, Bass speakers, Woofers, Drivers, speaker upgrades and replacement speakers. Emine to buy Dayton speaker drivers and got them carried to India by a friend.

Just to clarify, I did not expand the website address mentioned above, like it has done in the message. I don't where it picked up the entire advertisement line....

thanks so much for all your valuable suggestions.

I am from Hyderabad. I was looking at 6 inch drivers Due to assumption of Box size and also the shipping charges and cost of the drivers as well.

I will run this with 200W rms amp. So each box should be capable of handling 100W rms.

How good is the following?

RB2-Kit, the 2nd Vifa "Recession Buster Kit", Pair from Madisound

If we can determine the box volume, I am ok with local drivers as well...

Hi,

I am from Hyderabad. I was looking at 6 inch drivers Due to assumption of Box size and also the shipping charges and cost of the drivers as well.

I will run this with 200W rms amp. So each box should be capable of handling 100W rms.

How good is the following?

RB2-Kit, the 2nd Vifa "Recession Buster Kit", Pair from Madisound

If we can determine the box volume, I am ok with local drivers as well...

Ok you are from Hyderabad,good !

Yes it is somewhat true that if you use a 6.5" driver the box size will be relatively less as opposed to a 8" or higher ! but is that the primary criteria ??

Your second sentence is somewhat odd,I mean is it a 100+100 ? if so you need say 100W Stereo Amp else if you say 200W we will automatically assume its 200+200 :p!!

The Recession Buster Kit was built by our forum member Suri,Please PM him and he shall give you the complete details of the same !

Again I'll if the budget is fixed or limited the best option is Peerless, The model Cranky has suggested is the only and decent driver from them ! I and him have both given the links to Tharun's site (the One who Built a MTM tower based on these drivers called ASAWAARI) on various threads ! please do a search here or else google it !!

Regards.

Cranky and SoundsGreat,

thanks for the valuable suggestions.
I dont mean to insult/hurt you about the 100W Issue i posted in earlier reply:sad:

I actually searched this forum but did not find the model number to go for peerless. Also I mailed peerless about the inquiry and No reply as of now.

can some one throw light on the proper Peerless model number please.also the aproximate price as well.....

As mentioned in my earlier post, I dont need Too much bass from these. should be able reproduce what my Sub is not able to produce.

also about the size of the box, I can go with 35inch*11inch*11 inch
as well.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back