Help Configure Yamaha V671

parambir

Dear friends

I recently picked up Yamaha V671 from a friend of mine. I have set it up with 7.1 channel. What configuration do I do for my audio settings so I get pure 5.1 or 7.1 audio in all speakers without down mixing the original source. I intend to playback HD movies which have 5.1 or 7.1 audio format through Minix U1 from ext HDD.

As per the manual - Under Stereo there is 2ch and 7ch. But even in 7ch stereo, when you playback multi channel source, the unit down mixes the source to 2 ch and the outputs in all 7 speakers. (I guess thats why the stereo term)

However when I went through the manual in more detail, there is one option of "Enjoying unprocessed playback" and under this there is - "Enjoying unprocessed sounds in original channels (straight decode)". It describes that in this mode each speaker produces each channel audio signal directly. For 2ch its front two speakers. For multi channel sources this unit will produce unprocessed multi channel sounds.

Then there is "Enjoying unprocessed multi channel sounds (surround decoder)". This outputs even 2ch to multi speakers. But works same as straight decode mode for multi channel sources. This has SUR DECODE -> Pro Logic, PL II Movie, PL II Music...

Now which setting do I select when I want to:-

1. Play 5.1/7.1 ch movies through Minix U1 connected on HDMI port on their original channels/speakers without downsizing?
2. Play mp3 songs or internet radio or any 2ch source on all speakers?
3. Does it mean that Surround Decoder's only function is to convert 2 ch to multi channel so that in can play on all speakers?

Sorry for sounding trivial but any help will be useful...

Thanks in advance.

Dear friends

I recently picked up Yamaha V671 from a friend of mine. I have set it up with 7.1 channel. What configuration do I do for my audio settings so I get pure 5.1 or 7.1 audio in all speakers without down mixing the original source. I intend to playback HD movies which have 5.1 or 7.1 audio format through Minix U1 from ext HDD.

As per the manual - Under Stereo there is 2ch and 7ch. But even in 7ch stereo, when you playback multi channel source, the unit down mixes the source to 2 ch and the outputs in all 7 speakers. (I guess thats why the stereo term)

However when I went through the manual in more detail, there is one option of "Enjoying unprocessed playback" and under this there is - "Enjoying unprocessed sounds in original channels (straight decode)". It describes that in this mode each speaker produces each channel audio signal directly. For 2ch its front two speakers. For multi channel sources this unit will produce unprocessed multi channel sounds.

Then there is "Enjoying unprocessed multi channel sounds (surround decoder)". This outputs even 2ch to multi speakers. But works same as straight decode mode for multi channel sources. This has SUR DECODE -> Pro Logic, PL II Movie, PL II Music...

Now which setting do I select when I want to:-

1. Play 5.1/7.1 ch movies through Minix U1 connected on HDMI port on their original channels/speakers without downsizing?

Press "straight" in the remote. It will decode 5.1 or 7.1 dts or dolby files as it was intended. Do make appropriate settings in the minix too.

2. Play mp3 songs or internet radio or any 2ch source on all speakers?

press "music" in the remote to select "7 channel stereo" to play the content in 7 channels.

3. Does it mean that Surround Decoder's only function is to convert 2 ch to multi channel so that in can play on all speakers?

Sorry for sounding trivial but any help will be useful...

Thanks in advance.

Reply is in blue colour
You can select that options in av controller app in phone/tab.
regards

Thanks. So my guess was right. What is the difference between 7ch stereo and surround decoder when it comes to playing 2ch sources? But I have also noticed a considerable difference between 7ch stereo and surround decode PL II music when it comes to playing 2ch sources. 7ch stereo is more prominent.

Last edited:
Thanks. So my guess was right. What is the difference between 7ch stereo and surround decoder when it comes to playing 2ch sources? But I have also noticed a considerable difference between 7ch stereo and surround decode PL II music when it comes to playing 2ch sources. 7ch stereo is more prominent.

Sound decoder will decode 2 channel track to 5 channel(approximate). 7 channel stereo will be the same as 2 channel stereo played on 7 speakers. so sound will be prominent. Wondering what will play through centre channel on that mode !! . I haven't tried that.

So when will one use surround decode if 7ch stereo plays 2ch better and straight plays all channels as they were originally?
By the way, centre plays primarily vocal parts. Have been playing all my 2ch music in 7ch stereo mode till now.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back