Help for a stereo setup in B'lore

Vj@HiFi

Hello friends,

I write on behalf of my cousin who lives in Bangalore. He wanted my help for narrowing the choices for a stereo system (I suggested stereo, since his movie watching is practically nil).

Given the space constraints I can see that he needs to buy bookshelf speakers with possibly a sub thrown in to take care of the bass. He wants to install this system in a study nook about 8' wide which is part of a bedroom that is about 14' x 17'. This study nook will also house his TV (presently a 20" CRT). So part of this 8' study table will be taken up by this tv. We will add a shelf above this table for his files, books etc. and (of course) the BS speakers. The space below the table is may be where the sub can be, including a cabinet to house the music system (CD player, amp?, satellite tv set top box etc.)

His listening choices are mostly Rock (Pink Floyd ..), Indian classical and some devotional music. He would also like to connect the TV to this audio system (for that infrequent movie), which can be achieved by taking the audio output from the set top box.

I had suggested Audioengine5 to him but maybe I can suggest something more as this pair alone is about 20k.

Budget: say about 30k +/- 5k.

So what are we supposed to buy? BS, Sub, Amp, Source (he does have a sony dvd player for now).

I would also like help in identifying audio shops in Bangalore where he could audition stuff. He lives in Koramangala and we did visit a Sonodyne showroom (I was checking out their Subs to add to my Wharfdale 9.6s) in the nearby Forum Mall, but I know nothing about B'lore.

Thanks

A5 would be the best option for such a small confined space.

But if separates is what he is are after, then in this budget he can squeeze in a the CA 340 combo and a pair or Diamond 9.1 For the bass, if needed, at a later stage you can add the excellent SW150. An other option is to go the Norge way.

There are other all-in-one solutions like the Onkyo CR515, Denon DM37, Marantz CR502, CA One etc. which could be really good as bedroom systems.

If he is open for the used products option, ask him to get in touch with our fellow member Ramesh aka hifipal4all. Am sure Ramesh can help him fix a good system in that budget.

Cheers.

Last edited:
for speakers also look at monitor audio bronze and kef iq.

the dvd player should be fine for now

for a small space even the AE2s are excellent. But since you have a budget of 30k then i think the best option would be

Source - Marantz CD5001 (10,500) / Cambridge Audio DVD89 (10,000 or less)
Amp+speaker - Audioengine 5 (19,000)

Total - 29 - 29.5k

At the end of the day if quality is important you it's difficult to stuff a source, amp, speakers and sub into 30k. In a small space the bass of the AE5 should be more than sufficient. He can of course add a sub at a later stage.

Hello friends,

I write on behalf of my cousin who lives in Bangalore. He wanted my help for narrowing the choices for a stereo system (I suggested stereo, since his movie watching is practically nil).

Given the space constraints I can see that he needs to buy bookshelf speakers with possibly a sub thrown in to take care of the bass. He wants to install this system in a study nook about 8' wide which is part of a bedroom that is about 14' x 17'. This study nook will also house his TV (presently a 20" CRT). So part of this 8' study table will be taken up by this tv. We will add a shelf above this table for his files, books etc. and (of course) the BS speakers. The space below the table is may be where the sub can be, including a cabinet to house the music system (CD player, amp?, satellite tv set top box etc.)

His listening choices are mostly Rock (Pink Floyd ..), Indian classical and some devotional music. He would also like to connect the TV to this audio system (for that infrequent movie), which can be achieved by taking the audio output from the set top box.

I had suggested Audioengine5 to him but maybe I can suggest something more as this pair alone is about 20k.

Budget: say about 30k +/- 5k.

So what are we supposed to buy? BS, Sub, Amp, Source (he does have a sony dvd player for now).

I would also like help in identifying audio shops in Bangalore where he could audition stuff. He lives in Koramangala and we did visit a Sonodyne showroom (I was checking out their Subs to add to my Wharfdale 9.6s) in the nearby Forum Mall, but I know nothing about B'lore.

Thanks

Since your cousin is in Koramangala Bangalore he can audition some good audio equipements from Mordaunt Short at

Audio Planet
703/4, 6th B Cross, 3rd Block, Behind BDA Complex,
Koramangala,
Bangalore
India
Palani L - Managing Director

Telephone: +91 9845019192

I got this form their site there you can audition the CA 340 amp and player and also Mordaunt Shorts Avant series of speakers which is very affordable.

While you are there also check out Mezzo 2 speakers though its out of the budget after the price rise its a speaker worth listening especially in their demo room where I had my first high end audio experience. They are very approachable and if nobody else is auditioning anything they would help you and play you any equipments they have right upto the Mordaunt Short Performance speakers. :)

Also you got Tannoy speaker showroom at Jaya Ngr 3rd Block wil give further details about it once I dig it up. I might go there myself this week or next.

If you know any place in Blr where they sell Audio Engine do let me know need to listen to those as well and see how impressive it is when compared to the Tannoys and Mordaunt Shorts.

ARN Systems has Audioengine 2 speakers, not sure if they have the 5s.

Since your cousin is in Koramangala Bangalore he can audition some good audio equipements from Mordaunt Short at

Audio Planet
703/4, 6th B Cross, 3rd Block, Behind BDA Complex,
Koramangala,
Bangalore
India
Palani L - Managing Director

Telephone: +91 9845019192

I got this form their site there you can audition the CA 340 amp and player and also Mordaunt Shorts Avant series of speakers which is very affordable.

While you are there also check out Mezzo 2 speakers though its out of the budget after the price rise its a speaker worth listening especially in their demo room where I had my first high end audio experience. They are very approachable and if nobody else is auditioning anything they would help you and play you any equipments they have right upto the Mordaunt Short Performance speakers. :)

Also you got Tannoy speaker showroom at Jaya Ngr 3rd Block wil give further details about it once I dig it up. I might go there myself this week or next.

If you know any place in Blr where they sell Audio Engine do let me know need to listen to those as well and see how impressive it is when compared to the Tannoys and Mordaunt Shorts.

Thanks a lot Psycho :p I suggested A5 to my frnd but dint know where to get em may be I can also listen to the Usher S520 there, its been close to a yr since I wanted to visit tht place :D

The best budget setup would be the A5s since the amp comes built-in. You only have to spend on the CDP extra then.

Cheers

Thanks for your inputs guys.

One thing that strikes me about A2/A5 is the fact that there is no remote on these units, which an amp will have(?).

I'll ask my cousin to audition the following:

1. Wharfedale 9.1/9.2
2. Monitor Audio Bronze
3. Mordaunt Short Aviano/Avant
and the Audioengines

Are we talking about similar prices for the first three? What amp do we pair it with. If the speakers come for say 10-15k then we could buy a decent stereo amp in the remaining amount? I'll ask him to buy a good source later and continue with the sony dvd player till it conks out.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back