Help for new A/V receiver and speaker

deadhead

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I want to buy a 5.1 A/V receiver and tower speakers. Initially would want to buy 2 speakers and then upgrade. i want it basically for listening to music. my room size is 13 by 26 ft and my budget is 50k,but can be stretched a bit. Went and saw the Jamo,JBL speakers and the Denon/Marantz/Yamaha amps. Also did check out the Sonodyne/norge sets. Has left me all confused. Would like an opinion in this budget

Denon 1612 plus the JBL 180/190 FS for now .. or the cine 300 (20k).. which comes with an avr but you would want to replace the avr later

sorry jbl is not really for the purist when it comes to music.. it will sound great with himesh.. but your jazz experience will go for a toss.. hmm so for 50 k you want a musical avr to keep alive the possibility with the movies... so if music is your priority.. what is your source? id recommend denon 1612 as the av reciever.. then for speakers polk or wharfdale

sorry jbl is not really for the purist when it comes to music.. it will sound great with himesh.. but your jazz experience will go for a toss..

What defines a purist? Who defines their music taste? Who determines what equipment they listen to?

I don't hold shares in JBL, or it's parent company, but I do feel the need to put things in perspective here with respect to that sweeping generalization.

JBL, in recent years, has mostly done work in consumer end of the spectrum. Mass production of entry/mid level gear. But if that is the basis for rejecting it for 'purists' let's see which all brands will be rejected. Marantz, Denon, Harman Kardon, Infinity, Jamo, Wharfedale, PSB, Tannoy, Paradigm, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, Yamaha, Klipsch, KEF, Monitor Audio, Mordaunt Short, the list goes on. But it is worth noting that JBL is the company with maximum number of installations in studios and professional establishments. May be some purists as defined by the comment will reject JBL for jazz, it is worth noting that a large number of recordings that they are listening to today, were probably produced on JBL equipments.

Rejecting JBL as an option to someone looking to build a system under INR 50k, citing "purist's" taste of music and choice of equipment as reason, well... no words!!!

A 'purist' can't even buy cables for his system for that money. So offering suggestion based on purists' choices to someone looking to build an entry-level system... can't we be a little more practical than that?

I wholeheartedly recommend jbls mate but would you not agree that the bass is a bit of an overkill.in the jbl world.. i myslef am considering jbls for my ht .. you just wont get a better movie experience ... but the op said its mainly for music.. hence i reconsidered .. if you listen to boom boom music go for it.. but if you listen to bach or beethoven ... good luck ..

@ranjeetrain.. which pair of jbls would you recommend at 25k for listening to Flac files for dylan,cash, norah jones,pink floyd considering you get dali,polk,klipsch,wharfdale, ca at that range?

You may add KEF Q series/Focal chorus series into the list, Marantz will sound good for music. It is important that you audition these speakers and decide which one you like the best, speakers are very subjective, I personally like Focal's against Polk, that does not mean Polk is a bad choice.

would you not agree that the bass is a bit of an overkill.in the jbl world..

Mmmm... I don't think so. Probably the dealer where you audiotioned made them go boom boom. JBLs are capable of linear response (Northridge series onwards). Pair them wrong or set them wrong and you may hear that boom.

but the op said its mainly for music.. hence i reconsidered .. if you listen to boom boom music go for it.. but if you listen to bach or beethoven ... good luck ..

A friend of mine has JBLs. When I went there, due to poor set up and usual room acoustics it was booming. I tweaked it for him, and it was miles better.

Most places you go audition JBL, staff is not knowledgeable. Being at the entry-level of the field, dealers that sell them target them at 'boom boom' section of consumers like you put it, so set them up accordingly. But amp them well, place them well and they will deliver tight bass. It's about how you use them.

Last edited:
@ranjeetrain.. which pair of jbls would you recommend at 25k for listening to Flac files for dylan,cash, norah jones,pink floyd considering you get dali,polk,klipsch,wharfdale, ca at that range?

If I gather you correctly, purist, FLAC, Bach, Beethoven, Dylan, I would not recommend any speaker at 25k. You need speakers 60/70k onwards to do justice with high quality source material. Lesser ones won't resolve so much.

Btw, you seem to be recommending for yourself, with your taste of music in mind. I don't see where the OP asked for speakers for the artists you are mentioning ;):lol:

If I gather you correctly, purist, FLAC, Bach, Beethoven, Dylan, I would not recommend any speaker at 25k. You need speakers 60/70k onwards to do justice with high quality source material. Lesser ones won't resolve so much.

Btw, you seem to be recommending for yourself, with your taste of music in mind. I don't see where the OP asked for speakers for the artists you are mentioning ;):lol:

But i already have a pair of Dali Zensor 1s that transcend technical limitations .. i recomemnd for myself because i suffer from jobs syndrome.. :licklips: .. we could just recommend onkyo 3400 couldnt we and go to sleep?

Dear friends

no offence to any of my friends here, but i think that there is a debate which is sounding boom boom than the speakers/suggestions

the friend said

deadhead Help for new A/V receiver and speaker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm new to this forum

, and after he has posted he did not speak a word, iam sure he must have read the posts going on

Please think what impression he might have got , he surely must be thinking that he has knocked a wrong door

friends, i wish what he is looking for is fullfilled, and we can put forward our own experience regarding the sound equipments and let him decide what he wants, rather debating and confusing him

he already is confused after auditioning the speakers and avrs

i would recomend him to go for a 2 channel integrated amp rather than avr, if he is going to use it only for music

cheers

once again, no offence to any one and i respect all of you and your knowledge.

Tanoj

Well said Tanoj, I like you spirit. However, you are only adding to the confusion. OP is clear that he wants an AVR and 2 tower speakers. He wants to build upon that and grow it into a 5.1 system. Whats the point in suggesting a 2 channel amp here :confused:

@OP, IMO, you best bet would be a Denon AVR with Jamo studio series floor-standers. Jamo studio series are dirt cheap and sound very good for the money. If you can stretch a bit, look at Mordaunt Short, they are good for the price as well. If you can stretch a bit further, look at Klipsch floor-standers. Their RF series has a very refined sound for the price.

Thanks. Since I mostly listen to blues/rock/folk and the old recordings of Robert Johnsons genre and no pop, I think I will keep the JBL's on the side and check the Polk and Wharfdale.

deadhead,

In my opinion, with your taste of rock/folk/blues, Klipsch's horn loaded speakers may be a tad too bright for you. Nevertheless, give their Reference series (RF-42 and 52, both as per your budget) a listen.

Else, try hunting around for a discounted pair of Monitor Audio's bronze series (BR6). You may be able to snag them for close to 50k. For the room size you are trying to fill up (13x26), I would say they would do very nicely. Unfortunately, the current series (BX6) will be beyond 65k for a pair. They go well with Marantz.

Jamo's concert series (C405) should also be within your budget and they are better than the studio series (which reportedly carry a reputation more for movies than music).

And then, at the risk of being biased, give Paradigm's Monitor 7 a shot :) I have heard (pun unintended) they go well with Marantz & NAD. I have Monitor 9 paired with Denon 1911 and I love the sound.

Wharfedale's need a powerful amp to sing. My experience with them (Diamond 9.5 & 9.6) left me underwhelmed. They were paired with Yamaha v471. Polk's RTi series, again, has a better reputation for music than TSi. But they may stretch your budget :)

Happy hunting.

Cheers

For 50K... I would recommend a Marantz AVR + Jamo / Wharfedale / Polk / Mordaunt Short Speakers. If you can stretch your budget... I would suggest spending 40K on AVR and stretch as much for a pair of towers from the brands mentioned above. Get Aviano 6 (36K) - good value for money. Alternatively, Denon 1912 (45K)+ Wharfedale Diamond 10.5(35K) or Polk Audio TSi300 (21K).

Another option of a warm sounding speaker (with Denon) is Energy Connoisseur series. While the CF series is no match to the RC series of Energy, here in India one has to do with CF. Veritas range is too pricey in lieu of your budget.

CF-50s are ~54k and are worth an audition. Quite a few times, the dealers pair them with Onkyo and that may make them appear bright.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back