Help: How to get Dolby 5.1 Audio in HT

anishpai

Hi Guys

I have a same issue out here and would like to continue on this thread itself.

I have the following:
Sony Bravia Android LED TV, model no KDL-W80D
Tata Sky HD
Philips DVD HT Model No: HTD3509/94 (1 HDMI out, and 1 Digital Audio IN, and coaxial in and RCA IN)

I have connected the following way:

TV <-----> TS HD STB via HDMI cable
TV <-----> Philips DVD HT via HDMI ARC ports

Now i have many issues:

1. The DVD HT is HDMI CEC (Easylink) hence when u connect via ARC, there is no audio from TV speakers and Audio comes only from HT. TV remote volume will also cause HT volume to change. I get Dolby 5.1 but the volume is very low as compared to SD channels. So when i change the channel from a HD channel having DD audio to a non DD HD channel or SD channel, then there is sudden increase of sound, i mean to say there is no uniformity

2. Secondly if i connect Digital Audio out (optic) from TS HD STB to HT, the audio is clearer, but again there in no uniformity in HD channels having DD audio and SD channels. SO changing channels i have to lower the volume down everytime i change the channel or else there will be a loud noise

3. Lastly if i connect Digital Audio out from LED TV to HT, here again no uniformity in volume and TV speakers dont work and volume only comes from HT. And in TV Settings, under Sound, there is Digital Audio out, which has 3 options, Auto 1, Auto 2 and PCM. If Audio Mapping in HT settings is tuned off, then i cannot select any option from Digital Audio out in TV settings and only PCM is available.

Pls tell me what should i do and how i can have same audio levels across channels and get 5.1 DD in the best way.

5.1 setup by definition is not expected to have same volume from all speakers. You could always increase level of each channel if it's too low

Hi anishpai

The fact is that all cable channels...be it SD or HD differ.....so does the levels...

I had a challenge with Hathway...HD channels...it was not outputting pure DD 5.1....complained....they did a little to resolve the same...

What i did was....

Connected STB to TV via HDMI...then gave TV out via Optical cable to my Marantz AVR....at least some HD channels provide TRUE 5.1 experience..the rest is 2.0...

Yes the levels are low....luckily in the Marantz, you can increase the Source level volume....

Since you use a Home Theatre in a Box...it has its own set of limitations and honestly you cant do much about it...

you can increase the volume of the speakers individually as well as set the sound to match movies etc, experiment with which sounds best to you.

this is taken from your User manual.

Before you start
Make the necessary connections described in
the quick start guide, and then switch the TV to
the correct source for your home theater.
1 Press (Home).
2 Select [Setup], and then press OK.
3 Select [Audio] > [Speaker Setup].
4 Press the Navigation buttons and OK to
select and change:
[Speakers Volume]: Set the volume
level of each speaker.
[Speakers Delay]: Set the delay time
for speakers which are placed closer to
the seating position in order to obtain
equal audio transmission from all the
speakers.

also this.

Sound mode
Select predefined sound modes to suit your
video or music.
1 Press SOUND repeatedly to select a
sound mode.
MOVIE: Enjoy a cinematic audio
experience, specially enhanced for
movies.
MUSIC: Recreate the original recording
environment of your music, in the
studio or at a concert.
ORIGINAL: Experience the original
sound of your movies and music,
without added sound effects.
NEWS: Hear every word with
optimized speech and clear vocals.
GAMING: Enjoy thrilling arcade
sounds, ideal for action-packed video
games or loud parties.
Surround sound mode
Experience an immersive audio experience with
surround sound modes.
1 Press SURR repeatedly to select a
surround mode.
MULTI-CH: Traditional 5.1 channel for
a more relaxing cinematic experience.
STEREO: Two-channel stereo sound.
Ideal for listening to music.

Hope this helps

Hi marsilians, kane, efernand1 and arun_kumar7810bros,

thanks for the reply,

Well i guess i found a temporary solution to the sound issues in SD and HD channels

As u know HD channels volume cannot be controlled via the DTH remote, only SD channels volume can be changed. HD channels volume can be chnaged only thru HT/TV remote.

So i set the SD channels volume to the volume of HD channels, lower than the default volume. So now both HD and HD channels have almost same volume, and it doenst change unless u change it from DTH remote.

Now, coming to the connections, i was asking which of the connections will give better audio quality HDMI ARC or Optical Audio ???

As u know i have connected the DVD HT to TV via HDMI ARC, and i get Dolby 5.1 from TV to HT for TS HD channels. At the same time i also connected the TS STB to HT via Optical Audio cable and saw if there was any difference in quality, well i found no difference at all between these 2 conenctions. I stuck to HDMI ARC conenction

What do u guys think, which connection is better and gives better audio quality ??? HDMI ARC or Optical Audio ???

Now, coming to the connections, i was asking which of the connections will give better audio quality HDMI ARC or Optical Audio ???

What do u guys think, which connection is better and gives better audio quality ??? HDMI ARC or Optical Audio ???

only difference is that HDMI will support Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio

Whats the difference between Ordinary HDMI cable and High Speed HDMI Cable ???

The basic difference is 1080p and upwards support, though a lot of the standard cables available now do support it.

@Kane,

Thanks.

So the audio quality remains the same right no matter if i connect it via HDMI ARC or Optical cable ??? I am sticking with HDMI ARC :)

Ya and regarding the High Speed HDMI... The Philips user manual states that we must use High Speed HDMI cable to use ARC function.

Anyone with Airtel dth gettong 5.1 over hdmi set as preferred audio ?
Am using Marantz 5010, all input to AVR and single hdmi output to tv arc
In stb, preferred audio as stereo works with same sound in all speakers

Thanks

hi all.. i would like to share my setup,
I have Sonia Bravia TV, denon AVR x1100w, tatasky, LCR Speakers and a sub.. my connectivity is very simple..

Source Tata Sky is connected directly to Avr through HDMI.

HDMI Display out from Denon to Sony Bravia HDMI ARC. i have also tried non ARC HDMI in TV but no difference. i have not tried optical as this setup itself meets my requirment.

For HD channels with DD i get my AVR deducting it and i have the DD effect,to note i get DD effect only for HD channels, For SD channels its straight forward, denon seems to show the sound mode and i can also chooses the sound mode in AVR to suit my expectation but wont get DD for SD channels. In addition my dynamic volume feature in denon is turned ON to prevent sudden increase in sound when i switch channels so that takes care of it.

i always dont wanted to connect my tatasky to AVR directly as many of my contacts says its not safe for AVR but for last 2.5 years i had no issues..

I wanted to ask my fellow FM's pls share ur experience if you have faced any issues by directly connecting Setup box directly to AVR ???

Airtel DTH connected to AVR directly. Precaution taken: slightest hint of lightning or thunder - remove the cable from the dish to STB and STB -> AVR HDMI.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back