help identifying replacement flip stylus

stevieboy

A friend has this old record player with this detachable flip stylus cartridge. Can one find a replacement in India or online someplace? Need help with specs for replacement. Does one get a flip stylus cartridge that will be a replacement for any flip stylus cartridge? Or is the mounting pin into the arm important and generic similar units cannot be used? The lettering on the bottom of the cartridge is 15GP 234 PHILIPS RC LO. Both sides of the flip stylus are for LPs, not one for LP and one for 78. The player has only 33 and 45 speeds. I am getting in touch with Kabusa since they have similar flip styluses on their site, any Indian/ other online equivalent?

Thanks!

Last edited:
These are easily available in old electronic shops. You just have to search around. There are sapphire tips and diamond tips available. You can use any. The diamond tips last longer.

Hi,

The stylus [ Philips original ] should be available in Seethaphone Company, Avenue Road, Bangalore. I think they are selling it for 85rs. Phone: 22263230

Regards.

Seethaphone was one of the places I referred her to. The person said he has philips needles. Remains to be seen after a visit if it's the same one or one that fits. They will also service the TT.

Thanks!

I recall in the 1970s, three varieties of flip-stylii were available. The regular types were manufactured by HMV (i think) and EEI. The third variety was by Philips. While HMV (cream colour) and EEI stylii (black) were interchangeable, the Philips variety was not compatible with the other two. The Philips stylii were available at Philips authorized spare parts shops and were quite expensive compared to the other two. The HMV stylii disappeared from shops in the early 1980s and only EEI stylii were available. There were generally 2 types, flip with 1 microgroove and 1 78rpm sapphire tip option and flips with both microgroove options. We used to buy the second variety as my dad gave off all his 78s and he never liked the swift jerk our Garrard SP25's tone arm did on the auto return when playing at 78rpm. From the pics, it is evident that the cantilever of the stylus is different from those on the HMV and EEI flips.

Philips ceramic cartridges were kind of built into the headshell, again which was not compatible with anything else. Take a look at the pics, something similar:
http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/VINTAGE...D-PLAYER--SUPERB-CONDITION-/221012049684/item

Last edited:
Seetaphone had the required needle. Next step a belt change cos its running a bit slow now.

Thanks all!

Hi Reubensm,

Yes it looks exactly the same. I have a very old HMV TT at home that has the flip LP and 78 stylus. Not working properly though. Kabusa also had the required part which one could insert into the headshell under a sort of clip.

Regards

What kind of belt is it?

I could not find anyone in Bangalore who supplies belts for TT. But I have ordered a new belt for my Sansui P-50 TT, from EVEREST SALES CORPORATION, Delhi.

regards,

Hari.

Hi Hari,

Not too sure. Must be one of these normal belts. Will know when its opened. I remember ads for everest they have some TT related stuff.

Regards

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back