Help in accessing usb hdd on minix through internet

parambir

Got a minix heo U1. I connected a USB hdd 1 TB. This is easily accessible through minix. Now my Minix is connected to internet router and has a private IP. How can I access this hdd from Internet through my router which has only one public IP and further through minix.

Thanks

Got a minix heo U1. I connected a USB hdd 1 TB. This is easily accessible through minix. Now my Minix is connected to internet router and has a private IP. How can I access this hdd from Internet through my router which has only one public IP and further through minix.

Thanks

Which modem / router you are using ? There would be some sharing / permission options which needs to be explored, is your IP static or dynamic ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using TP Link 300M Wireless N Router Model No. TL-WR841N / TL-WR841ND. It has WAN port and 4 LAN ports. No USB. ISP IP is static.

Ideally if all devices are on same network with same workgroup name and dlna enabled then you should be able to access ur hdd on other laptop etc on same network, ensure your other laptop has discovery mode on and able to see network devices.

Now to access from outside network through Internet, you have static ip, so you will have to use port forwarding same way we use for accessing security camera n stuff, am sure port forwarding is necessary and further some trial n error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot access a networked hard drive, simply by port fw. You either need a VPN server or an FTP server running in your network, A WebDAV server would also serve the same purpose, that would enable the networked hdd to be available outside the network .....

Last edited:
I installed a ftp server on minix which allows access to hdd within nw using es explorer. But outside nw... still need to figure out something.

port fw the port 21 to your internal hdd (minix) and then try to access the drive by typing your public ip:21 in browser.
But this way is sure shot invitation to hackers to gain access to your drive. ftp should never be used from outside without SSH. So my advice switch to SSH and use sftp to access the drive rather plain ftp .....

OR best of all use VPN ...safe, secure and reliable

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back