Help in building a DIY speaker

krishtrinity

I have been checking out the various build guides in the internet for some time now and i think i am ready to build my own DIY speaker.I am looking to build a 2 way bookshelf speaker,can you recommend crossover circuits,woofer and tweeter for the speaker.If you already built a speaker please share,parts are available at diy audio cart and i see there are some pre built crossovers from wintek which i am having doubts buying because of quality concerns.This will be my first speaker build and i would appreciate any help.I think i have made a similar post before which is for subwoofer,this time i want to build the speakers only.

Its usually a lot cheaper to buy something already made that someone is bored of.
However you end up with lowest cost sourced, mass produced stuff.
To stand out from that, you have to use non mass market materials.
IMHO - particle board should be avoided, as should drivers that are sold by companies that also supply to every manufacturer, and they should spec out correct for your need.

Anyway you have preferences ? like impedance (prefer 4, 6, 8 etc) as well as driver type - like soft dome or ribbon etc, then pick that and go from there.

Bookshelves - I would buy these personally -

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uplo...of_genexxa_speakers_with_linaeum_tweeters.jpg

Metal cabinet and ribbon tweeter.

Cool.
Srinath.

Making DIY speakers is easy but to tune it according to crossover and cabinet is not a easy task really its very hard to do.So best option is to adopt some design by good designers in the world who already published some designs, But it will not be a budget one you need to get drivers and all parts except cabinet from outside if you need the quality in sound.Otherwise just check an option of frugal horn you can check with Bibin for the same.

take a look on below in second link you can have lot of designs

Humble Homemade Hifi

DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen

Last edited:
Making DIY speakers is easy but to tune it according to crossover and cabinet is not a easy task really its very hard to do.So best option is to adopt some design by good designers in the world who already published some designs, But it will not be a budget one you need to get drivers and all parts except cabinet from outside if you need the quality in sound.Otherwise just check an option of frugal horn you can check with Bibin for the same.

take a look on below in second link you can have lot of designs

Humble Homemade Hifi

DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen

thanks for the advice,at the moment i am building a budget speaker.I dont want to take any risks because it's my first build.I have some experience modifying my micca bookshelf speakers before other than that no other experience.Saw some amazing speakers in this forum that give me some ideas on the cabinet.Before i start i have to read some books about building speakers,anyway thanks for the links will check them out

I have been into DIY a couple of years now and have had both failures and success. Try building your own speakers. It takes a lot of patience and energy but its always well worth the effort especially when you can gauge the level of commercial products against your own builds and eliminate/add to tune the sound to your liking.

All the very best!

I have been into DIY a couple of years now and have had both failures and success. Try building your own speakers. It takes a lot of patience and energy but its always well worth the effort especially when you can gauge the level of commercial products against your own builds and eliminate/add to tune the sound to your liking.

All the very best!
Do you recommend any websites for crossover circuits,how do you select the components for crossovers that matches the drivers?

You can check DIY Audio cart, for ready made X-overs, its super affordable there and especially that you are in Kerala, I am residing in Cochin. You could build your own, its fairly easy I believe but I have to admit, I have not tried it myself. A long shot but i think a X-over is an RLC circuit, capacitor ratings for HPF, a larger cap a lower cut off.

This is my small 30 cm ribbon tweeter, I am driving it without a transformer to good sensitivity. I have used a 46uF cap to filter some low frequencies. So far I am happy with the sound. Its plenty loud for a small room and really really fast. I am thinking of building another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3BcsOlO2K8

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back