Help in choosing Sub Woofers.

SernityVare

All,

I own Yamaha HTR 5930 Receiver(8 ohm - 110 W each). I have opted to go for Jamo S606 Model Speakers.

Now i am confused on the Sub woofers parts. The Price for the 5.1 S606 Model was Rs.49000(Include Sub Woofers)

The Dealer were reffering to Sub Woofer for S606 Model was a Studio Series with 250W(S 60)

My Question is Is Jamo Subwoofer are Good ones to go for ?

I really depend on your suggestion on whether to go for Jamo Sub or others . Please Help me out.

- Shree

Thanks venkatcr & insane79.

And i audition Jamo S606(Front Towers only) and Wharfedale 9.5(Front Towers only).

I felt jamo was good.(i don't have much idea about in depth concept about quality of sounds).

And ur suggestion would help to identity which would be best among these two
brands and model.

eagerly waiting for your comments

Thanks in advance
Shree

hi SernityVare
R u sure that they r offering sub 250 with the 606 package. as far as i know they offer sub 200 with these models. honestly i dont like jamo subs, they lack the quality.
U may close ur eyes and go for the POLK AUDIO PSW PRO 500. it is a 400W, 10" down firing sub. u wont get anything better at its price.

Thanks venkatcr & insane79.

And i audition Jamo S606(Front Towers only) and Wharfedale 9.5(Front Towers only).

I felt jamo was good.(i don't have much idea about in depth concept about quality of sounds).

And ur suggestion would help to identity which would be best among these two
brands and model.

eagerly waiting for your comments

Thanks in advance
Shree

Now I am getting confused. You originally said you are looking for a sub, and now you are auditioning Floor Standers? What gives? Can you clearly state the following:

1. Your AVR
2. What speakers you have already finalised or purchased
3. Kind of music you listen to
4. Your budget.

Cheers

Thanks krauss

venkatcr,

I am building up my 5.1 Surround system. I own only Yamaha HTR 5930 Receiver(8 ohm - 110 W each) and yet to buy speakers.

1. Your AVR
- Yamaha HTR 5930 Receiver(8 ohm - 110 W each)

- I don't have speakers
- I am stuck in opting between Jamo & Wharfedale.I want to know which one would be best, Between Jamo S606 (Front Towers only) and Wharfedale 9.5(Front Towers only). So that i can purchase

- 70% Movies (Mostly for World Movie)+ 30% (South Indian Music)

4. Your budget.

- 40(Front Towers & Sub)

-Shree

hi SernityVare
i think it is wise to go for the wharfedale diamond 9.5 with the psw pro 500 sub i suggested. the jamo 606 is a very substandard model. if u compare, the 9.5 is far better.

sernityvare said:
1. Your AVR
- Yamaha HTR 5930 Receiver(8 ohm - 110 W each)
- I don't have speakers
- I am stuck in opting between Jamo & Wharfedale.I want to know which one would be best, Between Jamo S606 (Front Towers only) and Wharfedale 9.5(Front Towers only). So that i can purchase
- 70% Movies (Mostly for World Movie)+ 30% (South Indian Music)
4. Your budget.
- 40(Front Towers & Sub)

Shree

Ok. now we have some semblance of order here in my mind.

First your interest. Mostly movies, and South Indian Music. By this I am assuming you are referring to film music. Most of the modern music composed by people like AR Rehman and Harris Jayaraj use synthesizers extensively. This means you need a sub positively. Even if you listen to old film songs, or Carnatic recitals, a good pair of fronts will do good service.

Now you want to see movies more than music, so I would recommend a 5.1 speaker set. Given your budget a sub/sat system would fit nicely. But since you have your eyes set on larger speakers, I would recommend you go for a minimum of 3.1 system. This consist of a two fronts, a center, and a sub.

Now, your AVR - The Yamaha HTR 5930 is a 5.1 system. The system generates some 80 watts at 8 ohms. We must look for a speaker set that matches these specs.

The Jam 606 has a sensitivity of 89dB, and a power handling capability of roughly 100 watts at 8 ohms. This will draw a lot of current and strain your amp. Though it has side firing 8 inch woofers and is tempting in terms of doing away with the sub, I would not recommend this speaker at all to be paired with your amp.

The Wharfedale 9.5 is the same story. Sensitivity of 88dB, and 110 watts at 8 ohms. Not suited for your amp.

The thumb rule is to have a more powerful amp, than to have a speaker with larger power handling capacity.

What I would recommend on the other hand is a pair of good bookshelves.

(1) Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 - Sensitivity of 86dB, and a power of 75 watts. Ideally suited for your amp. Make a set consisting of 2 x 9.1, 1 x 9 CC, 1 x SW 150. You can also look at the 9,2s.

(2) Jamo 602. These are also ideally suited for your amp. They have a sensitivity of 87dB, and a power capacity for 60 watts at 8 ohms. You can make a set of 2 x 502, 1 x S 60 CEN, 1 x SUB 200. If you want a little more bass and lower frequency handling capability, you can go in for the 250.

For your amp. it is better to go in for bookshelves. Pleace them on sturdy stands, and you will be rewarded with good movie sound as well as good music. And chosen carefully, they will fit close to your budget.

Cheers. ,

venkatcr,

Wonderful Reply. Thanks a lot for your time.

Venkat, u gave me right idea for bookshelves but, "With eagerness" i am looking for Front Tower Speakers.

My humble request is to again show lights for choosing Fronts tower models for my AV Receivers.

Thanks in advance & waiting for your reply
Shree.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back