Help in choosing the right Amp

pankajsehgal

Folks i'am an avid music lover but my knowledge in av sucks. I need to get an entry level amp for my living room. At the moment i have an old pair of bose 201's lying in the closet. I did check out a couple of amps like yamahas and denons and marantz etc etc, basically they all sound good. There r some good reviews of the denon 1910 so i thought of buying this one. What i plan to do is buy an amp and then in about 3-4 months buy a pair of towers and a centre speaker and attach the old bose 201's for surround.My living room size is apprx 800 sq feet.
I need suggestions for a good amp. Is the 1910 good? hows the 1610 in comparison. My budget is apprx 30k for the amp only and i'an getting the 1910 in this price but from the grey market as the official price is more than 40k. So is this a good buy or r there any suggestions for me. Someone told me that Nad sounds better than Denons. Damn i'am just too confused.

Thanks

Folks i'am an avid music lover but my knowledge in av sucks. I need to get an entry level amp for my living room. At the moment i have an old pair of bose 201's lying in the closet. I did check out a couple of amps like yamahas and denons and marantz etc etc, basically they all sound good. There r some good reviews of the denon 1910 so i thought of buying this one. What i plan to do is buy an amp and then in about 3-4 months buy a pair of towers and a centre speaker and attach the old bose 201's for surround.My living room size is apprx 800 sq feet.
I need suggestions for a good amp. Is the 1910 good? hows the 1610 in comparison. My budget is apprx 30k for the amp only and i'an getting the 1910 in this price but from the grey market as the official price is more than 40k. So is this a good buy or r there any suggestions for me. Someone told me that Nad sounds better than Denons. Damn i'am just too confused.

Thanks

The Denon is an AVR. Its great for movies. For music, you'll need a 2 channel amp and floorstanders. I'd suggest you trawl the hifivision posts and you'll find relevant threads:
1. Diff between AVR and 2 Channel audio
2. Speaker Suggestions
3. AVR or 2 Channel audio

when you read up you'll be able to ask more informed questions.

Like, "what should I go for if i want an amp for 70% music listening and 30% movies?"

Also, the amp choice and speaker choice depends on the kind of music you listen to, etc.

hi pankaj,

pl. get in touch with veterans dinyaar, prem, ampnut... based at Mumbai. If possible listen to their set-up and it will be definitely an eye opener to take an appropriate call.

regards

Hi

HTML:
There r some good reviews of the denon 1910 so i thought of buying this one. What i plan to do is buy an amp and then in about 3-4 months buy a pair of towers and a centre speaker and attach the old bose 201's for surround.My living room size is apprx 800 sq feet.

Denon 1910 is a good AVR for both Movies and Music to get more insight do follow this link.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/5550-denon-1910-amazing-value.html

Regards

sub

Video: Panny 32 LCD, PS3, Sony DVP-NS78H, Samsung DVD-P365H, WDTV, Big TV.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V661, Sansui G-5000, Hand Made Towers for stereo, Pioneer Linear Power for HT with Onkyo SL-107 powered sub.

IMHO a good 2ch integrated amp will beat the socks of most mid range AVR. Since you mention that 70% of the time you listen to music you would be best off with a 2ch setup. Don't get me wrong, you can get good stereo in a HT setup but you will have to go with separates or probably move up a couple of level to get a better AVR that will be good at HT and 2ch Stereo.

cheers

hi pankaj

First decide weather you are intrested in AVR or pure Stereo. with 50K budget you can have second hand a good branded CA cd player, amp & floor standing speakers.

hi pankaj

First decide weather you are intrested in AVR or pure Stereo. with 50K budget you can have second hand a good branded CA cd player, amp & floor standing speakers.

I agree. 50k is a decent budget. One can get some really good deals on pre-owned stuff / demo / clearence stock.

If one just sticks to a 2 Channel amps and speakers one can get wonderful brand new stuff even!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back