Help in Deciding between LCD/Plasma

tapmal5

I want help in deciding between sony BX400/Ex400 and Panasonic A20 . I want to use it for gaming ,movies and little of tv also . my viewing distance is approx 10ft.Would Full Hd be useful at that distance(40-42 inches)

Funny. I just replied on Sony v/s Panasonic thread :) Anyways, here you go again...

A20 / X20 the only difference I found is Clear Sound. Not sure if that really makes a difference. For value I would suggest the X20.

BX400 / EX400 difference is also not much. BX does not swivel should that be an issue for you. Looks differ too and boils down to personal taste. I suggest the EX400 series or if you can stretch budget go for the very good EX500 series.

At 40-42" HD ready or full HD should not matter much (but again most LCDs are full HD nowadays).

Panasonic plasma will be much cheaper than the Sony LCD. Plasma require extra care while handling and initial usage.

Consider your viewing enviornment and angles.

Addition: You said gaming. So +1 for a Plasma.

i want to go for plasma but Pana v20 is too expensive at around 65k and i am getting ex400 at about 42.5k in grey market in Delhi

I mentioned the 42" X20 not V20. Former available between 40-45K. Maybe cheaper.

Edit: Why grey market when you can get the same with warranty from a reputed shop? Up to you. I have never shopped from grey and not a good judge of it.

Last edited:
Well i and whole lot ot other people have shopped from grey market the EX400 at 42k is really good deal ,you can inspect the actual tv that you are buying which is a plus,it also has higher contrast and matte screen .

LCD. I've had a normal 50Hz (40") Sony LCD for almost 6 months now, and it has worked out very well. It's pointless getting a 720p plasma, when for the same price you can get a 1080p LCD (for me, anyway).

When I was researching this LCD vs Plasma thing last December, internet forums were full of LCD's motion lag, viewing angles or blacks. To be honest, I haven't even noticed motion lag. I mean, if I look out for it on some football matches, then sure (and it could just be a shitty source that creates the lag). For games or movies, it isn't an issue at all.
As far as the blacks go - LCD's are worse if you compare it to a decent plasma. I was watching TDK on a friends 720p LG plasma, and I wasn't impressed.

Then you also have the problem of Image Retention (not to be confused with burn-in) on Plasma's. It will happen, either with a games HUD or a channel logo, provided you've been on it for some time.

Anyhoo, go down to a showroom and see what you want. Your opinion may be different. But for the love of god, don't pick a lower end 720p plasma over a decent 1080p LCD if they are in the same price range.

Plasma consumes slightly more power than LCD/LED based TVs... and the reports about newer Panasonic Plasma TVs losing their black very quickly is making me think twice... maybe the Samsung C550 doesn't have that problem????

At 42 " its quite even for plasma / LCD ... but considering the panasonic i think u can go ahead on the V20 and wont regret the decision at all

Good luck

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back