Help in Purchasing a New Amplifier

Hey! Cyber Cat.
I agree with square wave.
What pre are you using?
Cheers

i have connected the CDP directly to the amp, felt it was way better than connecting thru a preamp :D

can u recommend some good preamps and also some good speakers, monitors are also welcome though have no clue about them :eek:.

is alesis available locally ? want to pair a second one and use biamping config.

Hey! I strongly suggest you get a decent pre before thinking of bi amp etc.
You are unlikely to get a good sound stage & warmth with out a pre. I've tried it many a times.
For Pre i would suggest an audire. their entry level should be around 45K or you can also look at rotel, or if you want to spend more then you should try primare.I know it's a tough ask but try to get an audition on your set up.
Also you must change your spk.What would be your budget for spks??
All the best
Cheers

you are right :eek: the speakers are no match for the amp. The amp is indeed very clean sounding. way too good for the price. highs and mids are neat. bass is bit on the leaner side, but what bass u get is very detailed.

actually i am searching for a second alesis any idea where i can get these, dont want to import them tough

i will try to audition for speakers too. can u recommend some good ones for this amplifier :D

At 50k, my top pick is of course the Acoustic portrait speakers. Ms 301. But I do not know if he is making them any more. You could check.
Acoustic Portrait

If you are going big brands, you have the usual suspects like MA RS6, Dali IKON, Epos. The Usher X-718 is my preference here.

Hi,

Cyber what CDP and what speakers ???

I don't know why there is such Hugh and Cry bout a budget pre-power combo :p!!

The magnet what I have suggested is a decent example of it, pre-power (120Wrms/Ch) costs approx 70K and for the money what you get is absolute value for money ;)!! Am no expert but have been associated with audio from past 13+ years having built some speakers and Amps myself and also naturally have heard most of the combo's !!

The Magnet I heard with their own CDP paired with a Quad 22L2,the very same speakers I have heard with various other electronics and also the older model 22L with tonnes of electronics like ,Musical Fidelity A3.2,3.5 Quad 99 Pre-Power,Rotel 990 (or 980 ) etc etc so I know how the speakers sound,so when I heard the same speakers on this magnet I was very happy with the sound quality !!

So I say don't just rule out any option just coz they happen to be in the budget range !

A good pre is very hard to get :p!! so I'd say better stick with the current set-up ! i,e CDP directly to the Amp ! I myself have done the very same :D!!

Regards.

Last edited:
The Magnet maybe better than the Alesis. How much better he will have to A/B and see.
But he will have to change his speakers anyway :) Budget ?

Hey! I strongly suggest you get a decent pre before thinking of bi amp etc.
You are unlikely to get a good sound stage & warmth with out a pre. I've tried it many a times.
For Pre i would suggest an audire. their entry level should be around 45K or you can also look at rotel, or if you want to spend more then you should try primare.I know it's a tough ask but try to get an audition on your set up.
Also you must change your spk.What would be your budget for spks??
All the best
Cheers

:D Speakers will be gone, more keen on going for amp though at this time, was thinking of going for power block amp at first, since at 50 K no decent speakers are available,

At 50k, my top pick is of course the Acoustic portrait speakers. Ms 301. But I do not know if he is making them any more. You could check.
Acoustic Portrait

If you are going big brands, you have the usual suspects like MA RS6, Dali IKON, Epos. The Usher X-718 is my preference here.

i was actually keen on auditioning this speakers, sqaure wave ms301 is having metal dome tweeters r those smooth will audition them :D

how are the tacet series ?

Hi,

Cyber what CDP and what speakers ???

I don't know why there is such Hugh and Cry bout a budget pre-power combo :p!!

The magnet what I have suggested is a decent example of it, pre-power (120Wrms/Ch) costs approx 70K and for the money what you get is absolute value for money ;)!! Am no expert but have been associated with audio from past 13+ years having built some speakers and Amps myself and also naturally have heard most of the combo's !!

The Magnet I heard with their own CDP paired with a Quad 22L2,the very same speakers I have heard with various other electronics and also the older model 22L with tonnes of electronics like ,Musical Fidelity A3.2,3.5 Quad 99 Pre-Power,Rotel 990 (or 980 ) etc etc so I know how the speakers sound,so when I heard the same speakers on this magnet I was very happy with the sound quality !!

So I say don't just rule out any option just coz they happen to be in the budget range !

A good pre is very hard to get :p!! so I'd say better stick with the current set-up ! i,e CDP directly to the Amp ! I myself have done the very same :D!!

Regards.

would like to audition the magnets, soundsgreat have pm-ed you, like u said a good pre is very hard to get :D

Well i suggest you try harder & a get a good one my friend;)
As if you've not you are unlikely to feel the diff:D
All the best
Cheers

i was actually keen on auditioning this speakers, sqaure wave ms301 is having metal dome tweeters r those smooth will audition them :D

how are the tacet series ?

The tweeter is the same Vifa driver used in the cadence Arita. It is super smooth. Smoothness and detail has nothing to do with the material used. It is all in the implementation especially the crossover design.. The mid woofers are also Vifa in the MS 301.
The tacet series are also good. Better than most 30k branded floorstanders in my opinion. I prefer the monitor series. I use the MS 301 with odyssey amplification. Siva of acoustic portrait is now concentrating only on hi-end products (costing upwards of 60k for bookshelf speakers). These are custom made to needs of specific customers with hi-end crossover parts and scan speak drivers typically found in speakers costing upwards of a lakh or much more.
He may have a few of these MS 301s around and available around 30k. Please audition if possible. You are in for a treat.

Yeah Will audition MS 301 for sure was wanting to do it for a long time,

dev, Any idea how much norge 2000 will cost

Also have shortlisted a few components and will list them out shortly :D

Hi,

Hmm Norge 2000 :p !

No disrespect to the company and to you dev ;) , but that is a very very basic Amp !! we are talking bout different league or breed of components here !!

There is thread on this very amp in this forum which was done to death :p !! so I request anyone wanting to comment on this to read it before posting it here !!

For your info cat, the Norge Reference 2000 ( Yeah thats what they call it :rolleyes: ) is priced approx 10K and is an integrated Amp.

Regards.

Last edited:
Yeah Will audition MS 301 for sure was wanting to do it for a long time,

dev, Any idea how much norge 2000 will cost

Also have shortlisted a few components and will list them out shortly :D

I have received a quote for Rs. 10,500/- + courier charges (approx Rs. 850/- to Kolkata)

Hi,

Hmm Norge 2000 :p !

No disrespect to the company and to you dev ;) , but that is a very very basic Amp !! we are talking bout different league or breed of components here !!

There is thread on this very amp in this forum which was done to death :p !! so I request anyone wanting to comment on this to read it before posting it here !!

For your info cat, the Norge Reference 2000 ( Yeah thats what they call it :rolleyes: ) is priced approx 10K and is an integrated Amp.

Regards.

Totally agree with Soundsgreat , Norge Ref 2000 is a basic amp and for the amount to pay to buy a norge , better buy a second hand amp from NAD , marantz , Rotel. No offence meant to any users of Norge . Just that i did not like the sound .
Regards

Totally agree with Soundsgreat , Norge Ref 2000 is a basic amp and for the amount to pay to buy a norge , better buy a second hand amp from NAD , marantz , Rotel. No offence meant to any users of Norge . Just that i did not like the sound .
Regards

Hi!! Any idea where I get second hand amp in Kolkata?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back